The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It's a new windows thing, the chipset driver sets the registry so that the slider is present.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/customize-power-slider

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/missing-power-plans-on-amd-ryzen-5000-series/td-p/259920

[​IMG]

Netherwind likes this.
  2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    I have resizable bar thingy on 'Auto' in my BIOS (R9 3900X, X570 Aorus Xtreme, F31q) and I've been told to check Device Manager -> Display Adapter (RX 6800) Properties, and to see 'Resources' if I have 'Large Memory Range' it means I have SAM enabled. Is this correct?

[​IMG]

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It means Re-Sizeable BAR is active you do have to test a game or benchmark or similar to see if AMD's SAM is active though it should be on a compatible recent bios and a 6000 series GPU with the 20.11.2 or later drivers. :)
    I just use Assassin's Creed Valhalla because it has above average gains for whatever reason so it's easy to test with compared to hunting 2 - 3% gains in most other games a 10% is fairly simple to spot without a lot of repeat testing or benchmarks.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Or Forza 4 it seems.

[​IMG]

Those are AMD's optimized gains though you'll see most benchmarks being a bit more subdued and then there's Valhalla which well whatever it's doing it makes it easy to test against at least.

4. shm0

shm0 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 SC
    Hi!
    On my 3900XT, all cores on CCD 1 "only" boost up to ~4350 Mhz but on CCD 0 almost all cores boost to ~4625 Mhz. (Single Core Load, tested with BoostTester)
    Also the temps on CCD 1 are a bit higher (~ 2-3 degrees).
    Is this normal?
    // edit
    nvm found the answer
    here:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15137/amd-clarifies-best-cores-vs-preferred-cores

All core boost is ~ 4100 Mhz but when I first tested it it was around ~4200 Mhz
    I think this changed with the latest BIOS (1401 and 1601)
    Board is Asus Strix B550-E.
    1601/1401 was pulled from Asus Site (For both B550-E and B550-F, 1401 is still avaible for E)
    I tried flashing to an older Bios but still the same results.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Hello guys , wanted to post by overclocking results so far and get opinion if it enough :D

5600X : FCLK 1800 , BCLK 102Mhz. PBO +100Mhz . CPU boosts to 4850mhz almost all scenarios , especially gaming, during stress test clock is 4750mhz.
    Memmory B-Die 2sticks : 3600 mhz CL 16-14-14-32 CR1.
    Cooling : Shadowrock 3, max stress test 75C , during gaming below 70C.

GPU : Radeon 6800. GPU 2500-2600Mhz , MEM : 2100Mhz.
    upload_2021-1-3_9-25-30.png

Do you think i can get much more from that ? Or better no waste more time on tuning

XenthorX likes this.
  6. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    Guys can some of you with good score in Cinema bench r23 on PBO on could check what max CPU PPT you have and do it change when you changing option in bios?? I have ryzen 9 5900x on prime x470 pro. Im trying get best from it but with many configurations my score only change plus minus few hundred. My CPU ppt fluctuate from 200w to 205w. When I set all core OC I can do 4700Ghz but I dont see point. Tks for any info.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I was checking BCLK today , and seems my mobo/cpu reacts different and i can achieve higher clocks with it . No idea if this is stable , i managed to run Horizon Dawn benchmark and most synthetics
    just for fun :D around 5ghz boost. Kinda crazy for 5600X ? . I have heavy doubts this is 24/7 stable . Just for fun
    [​IMG]

XenthorX likes this.
  8. Solo Leveling

Solo Leveling New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte 3070 OC
    Just wondering what is the best way to OC ryzen cpu?? I have 5600x and b550 gaming carbon with 360mm liquid cooling.. Its my first time OCing a ryzen cpu..

Jonny Manc likes this.
  9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    You should try with ryzen master, for my old 3300X worked like charm , managed to get stable 4.6ghz , while it was impossible to achieve from BIOS.

Or you should try what i have done and my results :

Change BCLK to 103 Mhz ( 102 if it won't boot).
    Set PBO to +100mhz.
    Tune memory 1:1 with inifinity fabric ( 1800mhz in this case).

My best results so far and stable.
    upload_2021-1-6_9-20-23.png

Anyone has idea how to chance base clock ? (BCLK already changed) so i have 4800 all core . WITHOUT changing multiplayer - which causes bootloop on my mobo. Even with stock settings if i change multi from 46.5 to 47.5 i get bootloop.

Right now all core is 4750mhz , which is not bad , but this CPU can take much more 4800-4850 should be fine.

Jonny Manc likes this.
  10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Anyone can enlighten me how to change base boost clock ?
    Basically we start from 100 Mhz * 46.5 . This is what my CPU does at stock.

If i change multi from auto , to for example 47.5 , my CPU will be locked to 4750 all core , it is stupid as hell
    I can change BCLK to 102 Mhz , which results in about 4730 all core boost PLUS i can ADD PBO above that , resulting overall nice performance
    but it seems my CPU can take much higher all core , between 4800-4850 , and some cores can go above 5ghz.
    How do i change all core base boost without chaning multi ( it locks cpu to one clock ) .
    Ryzen master does that without problems , but i have to apply settings everytime i reboot ( how stupid is that ? :O ). - makes whole app usless ?

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I think 5600X/5800X/5900X/5950X should be able to get around the same performance in single thread?
    I do manage to go around 694 in CPU-Z single thread benchmark, but my clock never goes beyond 5GHz, intriguing. o_O

@kapu Have you tried setting everything to detault and just messing around with the Curve Optimizer?
    Had the best result that way really. Some settings seems to override each other otherwise.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800U ‘Zen 3’ CPU Based Laptop Tested, 15W Chip Delivers Single-Core Performance On Par With Intel’s Top 125W Desktop CPUs

-> https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-58...rformance-on-par-with-intel-top-desktop-cpus/

As you can see, the single-core performance is right there with Intel's top dogs in the desktop CPU segment. That is a fantastic showcase of just how good AMD's single-core lead has gone up with its Zen 3 core architecture.
    And the most mind-boggling part is that this chip has a TDP of 15W which goes up to 25W at max while the Intel Desktop CPUs are rated at 125W but go all the way up to 250 Watts.
    Of course, the chip won't clock as well and won't be offering the same amount of multi-core performance but in the end, just getting close to these desktop parts is a feat on its own.

XenthorX likes this.
  13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    You are mistaken. 5600X is not even close to 5950X silicon. You won't be able to reach stock speeds of 5950X.
    I have golden or even platinum sample and this is not possible, not stable at least. I can troll with 690 single score in cpuz. But once i fire up any game system crashes

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    aMD Readies Ryzen 9 5900 12 Core & Ryzen 7 5800 8 Core ‘Zen 3’ 65W Desktop CPU Specifications Leak Out

Coming to specifications, the AMD Ryzen 9 5900 will carry the '100-000000062' OPN code. It will feature 12 cores, 24 threads, 64 MB of L3 cache, and 2 MB of L2 cache.
    The AMD Ryzen 7 5800 will feature the '100-000000064' and consist of 8 cores, 16 threads, 32 MB of L3 cache, and 4 MB of L2 cache.
    Based on data posted by Momomo_US, the AMD Ryzen 9 5900 will sport a clock speed of up to 4.70 GHz while the AMD Ryzen 7 5800 will sport a clock speed of up to 4.6 GHz.

The base clocks are not yet known but they should end up somewhere around the 3.0 GHz range for both chips.
    Both chips will come with a 65W TDP which is much lower than the standard 105W TDP you get with the 'X' series variants.
    The clocks will definitely be a tad bit slower for the 65W TDP parts but you will expect performance within 90-95% of the 'X' series SKUs.
    Unlike Intel, AMD tends to retain overclocking support for their Ryzen CPUs across the board and we can expect the same from the upcoming chips.

Both chips will also come at a lower price point.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Conclusion - Smart Access Memory works on Zen 2!

More -> https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews..._on_zen_2_cpus_-_the_power_of_resizable_bar/2

AMD's Smart Access Memory technology is groundbreaking. While the same technology can be implemented on Intel processors and Nvidia graphics cards, it cannot be denied that AMD broke this ground first.

With or testing today, we can confirm that the benefits of AMD's Smart Access Memory/Resizable BAR support is not limited to Ryzen 5000/Zen 3 processors and that Zen 2 users can see significant performance increases if their motherboard and graphics card both support the feature.

Smart Access Memory is pure magic, allowing some games to smash through previously hidden performance limitations. Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Forza Horizon 4 are both great examples of this, though it is worth noting that some games will see no performance benefits from Smart Access Memory. Giving CPUs access to more GPU resources won't benefit performance if games cannot utilise those extra resources.

Most performance data related to Smart Access Memory focuses on Average framerates, but out testing shows that many games see larger gains in minimum framerates, cutting down the severity of some performance dips while granting gamers more stable performance. In Assassin's Creed Valhalla, our Radeon RX 6800 delivered 1st percentile framerate results that were almost 30% higher at 4K, and if this is not an impressive result, I don't know what is.

You can be sure that Nvidia will implement a similar feature within its Geforce drivers in the future. The performance benefits of Smart Access Memory/ Resizable BAR support on AMD hardware is too much for Geforce to ignore.
    Future games may also be developed with this technology in mind, making this a critical feature for future game releases.
    With all next-generation consoles offering combined CPU/GPU memory, it makes sense for GPUs to start giving CPUs more access to their memory pools.

geronimo666 likes this.
  17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350

JAMVA and OnnA like this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Im hopping for zen+ support. My 2700x still have life in it. Someone needs to test it.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    So, i just fired up my new system.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming

And i was wondering if AMD has a feature to downclock cores during idle, like on my old Intel? Which ran at like 800 MHz on the desktop.

I searched in the BIOS but can't really find anything there.

Also can't seem to enable XMP anywhere, so my memory runs at 2400 MHz, instead of 3600 MHz.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Cool n quiet option in bios should drop clocks bu nott like on intel more like 2600-4300mhz in my case with pbo on.

As for memory look for docp under memory options for asus boards.