The Alyx VR thread

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by Texter, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Thought I'd just open a thread for the game here, even though I don't have VR hardware, and this place is gathering dust...as TODAY is LAUNCH DAY. Smack in the middle of a global health crisis situation and some people are even under lockdown...

So...Alyx...Valve's VR game and new addition to the Half-life universe. Masterpiece or just a poke in the eye?

And yes...the actual thread for the game is HERE atm.

vestibule likes this.
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Still no real activity. Well, I have played through it and it's probably my favorite Half Life game. What an experience, much more involving. It's slower than the others, is quite horror orientated and all bullets are important.
    Do purchase if you have a VR set capable of being connected to the PC.

vestibule and eGGroLLiO like this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^I just fired it up again recently on the Quest 2 via 5g wireless and that Virtual desktop app, and it looked amazing on that akmost 2k panel of the Q2, and that was over 5g wireless streaming to the HMD, amazing, thethered vr is now a dying breed today.

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I decided to post in this thread rather than the 'official' which is filled with trolling fighting and hate.

And say I'm on my second playthrough of this masterpiece, and it's up there if not better than the previous main titles.

It's not flawless, true, some design issues are a niggle, but as a game and experience it's the flagship of VR.

I first went through it via Oculus but it isn't a patch on the Index.

And I love how they actually resolved/changed the cliffhanger from EP2.

This, for me, was worth the 14-year wait.

5. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Still havent played it for some reason. More into Boneworks right now. VR is really amazing and i noticed i have no more problems getting dizzy with smooth turns or rapid movement changes. My body used to 'compensate' for gravity effects even when it was just VR movement, kinda funny. Now i dont feel any simulated gravity anymore, it's great.

6. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Late to the party. I got the game on special offer today and will resist playing until Xmas. :)

7. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    Same, just bought this along with a Meta Quest 2.

vestibule likes this.
  8. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Just installed it today, never finished it. Had a Rift S, but upgraded to a meta quest 3 and my god, what a massive improvement in image quality. This is the future of VR gaming.

vestibule likes this.