The 7970 Thread. Post your overclocks and experiences here:

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by hallryu, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    ^ :cool:

Just ran Heaven, 6970 got about 43. (summit :p), 7970 got 66.7

Thats at default settings, res at 1920x1080.

It is going into 3D clocks, left the CCC open on Overdrive, then fired up a game, then when i Quit, Overdrive was showing 925/1375 clocks for a few seconds, so it is working :p

Also, when i tried GTA IV, i had that bug, where everything was set to low, and couldn't be changed, but the -nomemrestrict on the command line sorted that out. :D

Can't believe how quiet it is either, my 6970 was pretty quiet, but this is even quieter, hardly picks up while gaming, can just about hear it, and my rigs pretty quiet anyway, at idle its completely silent, as only spins at 20%

EDIT: Btw HairyUK, card came through fine from Ebuyer, no probs at all :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Apparently afterburner will soon support memory voltage control for 7970. 400gb/s? lol

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wish i could use an older CCC, as that new Overdrive is terrible :(

:p

4. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Oh? oh well ill guess ill find out, still using 11.11 and my 7970 is in transit.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    EK 7970 waterblocks are now out for preorder on some UK websites.

6. bodean

bodean Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    So I just purchased a Sapphire 7970, upgraded from 5850. I never overclocked my old video card. Two questions for a newbie.
    1) What app do I want to use to overclock the 7970?
    2) What is a good initial overclock setting for this card to test it out?

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    1. MSI Afterburner: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4222536#post4222536

2. Set to max overclock without a voltage increase. From there you can see how your performing at your gaming resolution and decide if you want to have a go at overclocking with voltage increases I suppose.

8. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I've done some benchmarks on this card at stock, mild OC and high OC on air. Temps not exceed 72degC at 1275/1675 below and I set a custom fan profile with acceptable sound coming from the stock HSF. settings are as below:

Res - 1920x1080
    Anisotropic - 16x
    AA - 4x
    Graphics detailed - All maxed out, Heaven 2.5 just set to Normal tessel though.
    BFBC2, BF3, Metro2033 - Use Fraps benchmark so results might not quite accurate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw Hallryu, looking forward for EK/Koolance 7970's waterblock :)...then for sure can OC higher.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. HairyUK

HairyUK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Happy days matey , i was on the verge of ordering 1 but im unsure of the massive benefits im going to see going from a 5870 xfire. I also have a LG 3d monitor but its nvidia only , so i might just see what nvidia bring out in response to the 7970. Dunno , pulling my hair out as i have the itch for something new lol

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty good so far.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    680's supposedly due Feb (its rumoured to be crap though :p), so not long to wait, and it may bring the prices of the 7970's down.

Ebuyer are out of the Sapphires now, can only pre-orer them, and they've whacked the price of them up as well, now £499.05, got a few more XFX's in now though, 32 of them now, only had 12 earlier, they are just over £467, and they've still got 3 Gigas in for £480.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Dunno wether to try clocking mine, as not sure if my PSU would be up to it, it is a Corsair, but its only 550w, not to fussed like, as its running like a dream at stock. :p

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Nice job on the benmarks.

14. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Agreed, I put a link to it in the first post.

15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    When the XFX HD7970 got here we tested it but it couldn't do slider max overclock, upon testing some more we found out that surprisingly various brands/bios had different voltage setting (as well as different VIDs). This one was set to 1.1125 so after bumping it to 1.175 it was stable and then we did more testing to find that the card crashed when the fan was on AUTO and when set to 100% it benchmarked fine so now we're going to test it under water but at 1.175 it did 1125/1575 fine.

[​IMG]

16. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Rich_Guy you're saying that a reference card is that quiet?

17. SykotikMetraton

SykotikMetraton Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 7970 3GB
    I'm trying to overclock my MSI 7970 to max CCC settings, but I'm getting artifacting. I've tried increasing the volt- incrementally- to 1.275, but it is still occuring. Do I have any viable options, or should I accept it as it is, and use a slightly lower OC?

18. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Are you using MSI Afterburner and did you unlock the voltage control? Check the graph to see if its actually running at the voltage you set.

19. SykotikMetraton

SykotikMetraton Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 7970 3GB
    Yes, I'm using MSI AB with voltage control unlocked. The graphs are reporting that it is running at the set value. I upped the core mV to 1.3, and it is still occurring. Dropping it to a lower OC removes the artifacting immediately.

20. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Well either you have to little or too much so you have to find a sweet spot :p , setting it to 1.3v doesn't always mean it will run higher frequencies as you will only need to increase voltages when it needs it, also there may need to be a balance between the core and memory so you might have to increase memory frequency to be able to increase core (dont quote me on that). Try 1.175, then try 1.18, 1.25 etc.. don't jump too high also check your temps as well and test out the power control, 0, 10, 15-20%. Sometimes it'll need it sometimes it wont. ATM there is a big rush on tweaking and finding out what the card likes/doesnt like. It may like high frequencies at one point but it could also not like a particular voltage or temperature. We were testing under water, temps were 33~idle/43max load and ran a specific clock just fine but under air when it hit 60C it started pmsing so yeah lol.