The 6600GT Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grunger, Jan 5, 2005.

?

How Does it work for you

1. Works Great - Love It

109 vote(s)
    66.9%
  2. Works, but not as well as i'd like

31 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Rubbish - I Hate This Card

23 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    I was one w/ poor performance. My default test settings was 1024x768 no AF/AA Low quality all other settings... and I would average about 30 fps with frequent drops into 10 fps range. The reviews have this card averaging about 100 fps at that res with max settings.

Not only that but I dropped it down to 640x480 no AA/AF low everything and I averaged about 40 fps with drops into the 10 fps range.

I think you just got served...

2. acme

acme Guest

Ok, I'm back with some results. First run in Aquamark on the Athlon 64 and 6600GT, stock speed: 50730. I think it's not bad.

3DMark2003: around 7800... Seems a bit on the low side... But all stock speeds, again...

Installing Far Cry right now, I should have some more info on performance in games tomorrow...

3. compgeek89

compgeek89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
    OC, and Ill bet you can hit 60,000 in AM3 and at least 8500 in 3D 03.

4. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

*looks at killgores system*

nah.. that wouldn't be the reason.

the 6600GT AGP is still quite new and to tell the truth the drivers aren't really supporting it well yet

couple that with an xfx board and it = disaster

5. acme

acme Guest

Stupid question here, how do I display fps info in Far Cry??

6. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

um.....

you can use fraps if you like.. but you need to use a dev code otherwise

start the game by adding the '-devmode' parameter

HOW TO ACCESS THE CONSOLE

While in game, hit the tilde key (`/~) to enter console (the key left from 1-key, below ESC).

HOW TO SEE YOUR FPS

Type \r_displayinfo 1 (press TAB for \) in console (0 = off). That command displays performance statistics such as frames per second, number of polygons in scene, etc..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
  7. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I am just trying to be helgfull here but it seems that it's not really appreciated.

The thing is I am going to get the 68GT because I can't get the 66GT AGP, it's all PCI-E here and it's not worth buying everything new just for a new vid card. But I think it's worth paying double the price of a 66GT and buying a 68GT for 300 Euro's as the 68GT performs in most tests 1.5 to twice as good as the 66GT. But for the price I ain't argueing mate, as I said, I initially wanted one too. But if there is one thing the 66GT does well is kick everything ATI has got in that price range. Even that stupid 6200 kicks the X6's arse. LOL

2x66GT in SLI is cheaper than one 68GT and it performs nearly as well so if I get the chance I might go for that, unless something better is out by that time.

8. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

you just came over as one of those people who likes to diss everyone else thats all, lol.. and theres nothing wrong with either card

but you wanna know whats better
    2 6800Ultras in SLI :D

9. chennhui02

chennhui02 Member Guru

6600GT great card... even though my CPU limited the card's full potential. I play underground 2 and Spinter Cell at high details.

3DMark01: 6301
    3DMark03: 6503
    3DMark05 2105

Not bad for P3, except the 3DMark01.

10. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

could be better....

11. acme

acme Guest

Thanks HLH. I'll try that tonight, but I can say right away that my frame rate is better now @1024x768 very high setting and medium AA (4X?) than it was at high and no AA before (with the P4)...

So far, I'm very happy with this upgrade!! :thumbup:

12. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

really?

i was running at 1280x1024 on my old 5900XT at max details with out any performance troubles

13. acme

acme Guest

Yup! My old P4 sucked, and so was my memory (266). My old Aquamark score was 30000... New score, 50700. :)

In Far Cry I could play @1280X1024, high details, no AA but in some levels my frame rate was too low to enjoy the game. I didn't try @1280x1024 with the Athlon, will try tonight.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
  14. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Was that aimed at me?? or the other guy?

15. acme

acme Guest

The other guy... ;)

16. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Ah cool! :)

17. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Hey Grunger-

Just wondering, since you're running on a kt400 chipset board, how is your PNY card peforming? I've seen availability from a re-seller here in Canada, but haven't seen any reviews of this card yet. I had crap performance from an XFX 6600GT AGP, and I've RMA'd it to the reseller (still waiting to see if I have to take the restocking hit or not, I hope it runs like CRAP on their systems like mine, but I doubt it).

I'd also like to know what sortof temps it runs at- does the temp sensor work, I guess, should be the first question! That seems to be hit and miss all over the place, too.

I just like the 3 year warranty on the PNY card- but if I have problems again, I'm gonna tear my hair out- ready to wait until something clears up with this problem or try and find a 6800NU that's affordable (here in Canada, most of them are over $400.00!)

18. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    I'm very happy with the PNY haven't had any problems it at all.
    doom3 - 1024x768 everything high - ~55fps
    HL2 Stress - 1280x1024 everything high 2xAA 8xAF ~87fps
    3dMark - see sig

Farcry comes with the bundle and a nice set of TV connectors

The temp monitors are BIOS disabled i believe :(

Overclocks a bit - had it at 550/1000, but chose to run it a bit lower.

Seems that alot of the isses are only with the xfx cards.

Hope this helps

19. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

my agp port died tonight

and no its not coz of the latency :p

the power regulator is fried.. and won't sucessfully run on any agp card put it

im even having trouble running on my old s3 trio 64v+

oh the horror.. the horror :O

so its off the the upgrade shop.. finally :D

20. virgilr

virgilr Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
    Thanks alot, Grunger!! I don't like the temp monitoring being disabled, but I've overclocked my 5900se without one- just watch for freezes, texture errors. etc. Question though- when your actually playing games, do you still see good performance? When I was play HL2, anytime I was in an area with water (which of course uses DX9 heavily in the water shader), I'd only get around 28-30 fps, and in both HL2 and Farcry I had problems with glitches/freezing when many characters would come on the screen, etc. Are you seeing fairly smooth performance?