The 6600GT Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grunger, Jan 5, 2005.

?

How Does it work for you

1. Works Great - Love It

109 vote(s)
    66.9%
  2. Works, but not as well as i'd like

31 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Rubbish - I Hate This Card

23 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Luhh

Luhh New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GT6600 Golden sample 128MB
    Gainward GT6600 "Ultra" Golden sample vivo solution (maybe)

I SOLVED IT!!! Geez, took a few hours to get it down exactly what it was!

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, use EXPERTtools that comes with the products. Well if you have the problems I described, just uninstall it and use either nvideas or powerstrip or a similar product to overclock or control this card.

I was using powerstrip as well, plus I wasn't certain that the drivers to the card were correct. Anyways, works fine now. I can finally recommend this card. Easily overclockable as well ^^.

Hope this info helps!

2. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Well , I'm almost too embarrased to mention my Aquamark Score, but it was just slightly higher than your old P4 score . Man, I never dreamt that there would be a bogus 6600GT card out there , so just grabbbed the one my dealer had in stock ... yep , the XFX6600GT , and it is running like a dog so far .

I have a dual Xeon 3.2 with some 2-2-2-7 BH-6 and it should be doing at least 45,000 , I would think . I ran Aquamark in High-Quality mode , and then in High Performance mode and the scores are the same , around 31,500 , with GPU at 6000 and CPU at 3000 . I'm running the 66.93 forcewares , and it looks like I'll be trying various other drivers just to be sure it's not the 66.93's that are causing this lack of performance .

With any luck my dealer might let me return it if I agree to upgrade , which will mean a 6800 something . Too bad , really . This card has everything I wanted ... dual DVI , Vivo , great price ... but what a huge let down . I actually asked for the 6800 vanilla , but he was sold out that afternoon , so I just grabbed the XFX thinking it looked like a really sweet bit of hardware .

What a drag . Any tips for squeezing more FPS out of Aquamark at a stock clock ?

Dynamo

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2005
  3. acme

acme Guest

Your CPU score is way off... Hell, my P4 1.9 got 4400... There's something wrong with your system! The GPU score is a bit low, but it's not that bad (I score 7300 with my Athlon 64). I don't know, but looking at this I would say that the problem is not the 6600GT, and you should perform some other tests. Also, try CPU-Z and have a look at your system (fsb, mem timings, etc.).

4. Mirec

Mirec Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4850
    Your CPU score in A3 is way tooo low. Try some bios tweaks.
    BTW even a a64 scoring 7400 is tooo low /I have 7000/. You should get something like 8500 at least.

5. Prozac

Prozac Guest

i was going to buy a 6600GT but you lot have scared me,i think ill get a A64 3000+ and new mobo with the money instead and keep my 9700pro for a bit.........lol.

Christ the makers of the dodgy cards should pull them out of the stock line and review the problem instead they seem to be taking a gamble that SOME of the 66GT's will work ok.......thats naughty......i agree we should set up a sticky which points the finger at certain companies (using a vote) and slaps them in a black list then at least if somone wants a 66GT they know which ones to get and which ones to leave well alone.

Damn im gutted cos i cant afford a 6800GT and from the benchies the 66GT kicks my 9700pro right in the danglies.:(

6. Mirec

Mirec Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4850
    go for the 6600gt buy it via internet and when its no good then send it back. The 6600gt can score quite high after OC- 9200 in 3dmark 03 and 62000 in A3

7. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Hi :

This system is very fast and tweaked to no end . I pulled the XFX card out and slapped my poor old MX2 - V7100 back in and ran Aquamark , just so I would have another set of numbers :

GPU : 195
    CPU : 11,000
    FPS : 1.9

What I really need is a link to a specific Aquamark thread to see if I can grab hold of some more info . For all we know , all 6600GT's are dogs with dual Xeons and their 875 chipsets ... I'm just using that for an example , of course , but the point is , we can't just jump to conclusions at this point .

Obviously , I am jumping to conclusions already , pointing a finger at the XFX , when it could be drivers , or something else that is causing such low scores .

This dual xeon rocks in realworld benches , like Cinebench etc , and is a really truly great machine for the money . Cheap motherboard and cheap CPU's that OC through the roof !!! Throw away those noisey Intel HSF's and slap a couple cheap Zalmans on , and this is the best bang-for-buck I know of (A64's are the best single deals) .

If it turns out the XFX is not compatible with this setup , then I'll drop a $150 more and upgrade to a 6800 ... something .

Any help about duals and 6600GT's or Forcewares would be greatly appreciated . Thanks .

Dynamo

8. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Well , this makes me think . We all post our Aquamark scores , but never CPU & GPU AM scores . Perhaps the reason the XFX cards suck for some people is because the XFX cards are not utilizing the CPU enough . Even Acme's CPU seems to be dogging it a bit .

It could be the card and cheap hardware used on only certain models , or it could be a whole other situation altogether . Perhaps we need a thread devoted to AM scores with a breakdown of the CPU/GPU and the type of 6600GT card ?

Dynamo

9. raiden

raiden Guest

Card runs great best buy I ever made.
    Need that 64bit AMD!!!!!!!
    By the way I never had the probs with experttool?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005
  10. acme

acme Guest

My CPU score is 8300, 7300 is my gpu score, for a total score of 50700. I ran another one lately and got 52000, I don't have the breakdown though.

With a little OC I get CPU: 9003 GPU: 7983 for a total score 55313. Again, this is an old test when I first put the system together. I can go to 57000 easy...

Fps in games is fine and is exactly what it should be if I look at reviews. As far as I'm concerned, my system runs fine...

Dynamo, are you overclocking? Did you try at stock speed?

11. dakotase

dakotase Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X850XT PCI-E/NV5 Silencer
    I bought a Chaintech 6600GT which was one of the first 6600's that was available at the time. I was a bit leary since I had no experience with Chaintech, but I must say I am very satisfied with the card. It performs well and stays cool. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one if I ever decide to go SLI.:D

12. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Hi Acme :

Yes , your scores seem fine for your rig . No , I'm not overclocking the card , but I have found some very interesting things that seem to point to drivers . All scores below are for Aquamark3 :

With 71.24 Drivers :
    GFX : 4000
    CPU : 12000
    SCORE : 34000

With DNA71.24 Drivers :
    GFX : 3900
    CPU : 11700
    SCORE : 33200

With 71.80 Drivers :
    GFX : 8500
    CPU : 3700
    SCORE : 40100

As you can see huge difference between 71.24 and 71.80 drivers . If I could find a driver that would combine the 12000 CPU and 9000 or so GFX I think I would have a solid performer . Tried 66.93 too , but also very similiar results .

Well , results are inconclusive as to if it's the XFX 6600GT or if it's the fact it's a dual CPU setup that the some drivers are having trouble with . If someone with a dual board could test and report it would be a big help , but I won't hold my breathe . Maybe I'll head over to 2CPU and see if any others are having problems .

My first reaction is to question the XFX , and it's too bad really . Great looking card and I think it's really just a matter of time before a really solid driver will kick it's performance up to where it should be on this machine .

Still , I wonder if all the people who had trouble with the XFX6600GT's also had similiar lopsided CPU/GPU scores like mine ? Maybe it is only a driver thing , not a hardware thing like has been suggested ?

Thanks for the replies guys .
    Dynamo

13. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Just for interests sake have you tried the 67.03's?

I though this thread was dead!

14. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

HI :

Well , it was dead but then I bought a XFX6600 recently , read the whole thread and thought I'd better BM my XFX since so many others were having trouble . Yep , big problems with performance ... but why ? I mean , exactly why , without jumping to conclusions . So I'm driver testing with Aquamark3 and getting odd results . If I could put a high CPU score together with a high GPU score I'd keep the card , but I'm running out of time to return it (have to pay a 15% restocking fee) .

I'll try the 67.03's before I do . Is there something special about the 67.03's , or did you just find them to work good with your brand of card ?
    Thanks
    Dynamo

15. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    I use the 67.03's as they seem the most stable, and give me the best results (got a PNY)

They were also the drivers which didn't have yellow water in HL2 (but i think this may have been fixed now)

What are your in-game FPS like? If you look through the thread you'll find mine.

16. Prozac

Prozac Guest

Do you recon a 6600GT will run Battlefield 2 @1024x768 with 4xAA and 8xAF with all in game settings maxed out?

17. biotechnology

biotechnology Member

GPU:
    Radeon 800GT
    Xpert Vision 6600GT

I have the Expert Vision 6600 GT and am impressed by it.When playing Far Cry1.3 (BOAT) the visuals are great when skimming the water-very fast.I am benchmarking just now and will post up the results.Got a deal for £105.00.

18. biotechnology

biotechnology Member

GPU:
    Radeon 800GT
    Just got Aquamark 3
    score of 42050 with very high detail.(standard version)
    Is this low?

19. compgeek89

compgeek89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
    id say its a bit low.

20. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Hi :

OK . No time to hunt through this huge thread again for scores . If you still have them , just put them in your sig . Anyway , same thing , but worse with the 67.03's . Poor GPU & poor CPU scores . The best scores I've had so far were with the 71.80's . Gave me 8500 GFX but only 3700 CPU and a total score of 41000 . Very very poor .

I'd say there is a very real problem with the XFX cards and certain setups , that will eventually be cured via drivers . However , when that might be is hard to say . I bought the card to accelerate framerates with 3D goggles , but there haven't been any Nvidia Stereo Drivers released yet for these latest bunch of cards so I can't even use the 3D goggles at this time .

Funny , last card I returned was an ATI simply because the drivers sucked (3 yeas ago) . Now , I'm returning a Nvidia card because of lack of drivers . I think I'll just ask for a store credit and then buy a 6800Ultra when the Nvidia Stereo drivers are finally released . A 6800Ultra will probably be a whole lot cheaper by that time .

Thanks for the replies .
    Dynamo