The 6600GT Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grunger, Jan 5, 2005.

?

How Does it work for you

1. Works Great - Love It

109 vote(s)
    66.9%
  2. Works, but not as well as i'd like

31 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Rubbish - I Hate This Card

23 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Those that have a 6600GT does yours work OK?
    I read all the posts and it seems fairly mixed, my PNY 6600GT has been fine so far :)

So post your Type and comments, is it just the XFXs or is it a wider problem.

I was going for a kind of collective place to discuss the probs and successes with these cards as there are loads of tiny threads.

2. DTS172

DTS172 Guest

Works, but not as well as i'd like.

XFX.. benchmarks are normal, in game performance blows. Technically works, never had any artifacting or lock ups or any sort of anomalies.. just ****ty performance.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Works better than I thought. After hearing all these disaster stories I was expecting to run into some trouble. Nothing. Zilch. Works like a charm.

4. Massive Overkil

Massive Overkil Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640 700/1000
    I'll let my benchmarks speak for me.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    When people see your benchmarks they're going to say "damn, I want a 64bit AMD CPU"!
    :D

6. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    i'll stick wit my cheap pos 3.0C clocked to 3.9 lol

7. brackyus

brackyus Guest

I got a PNY 6600GT thansk to Compusa's Replacement plan, after my 5900 died.. I had nothing but problems with the pixel shaders in the PNY, decided to change it for the BFG 6600GT OC, had the same problem in DX9 games.... started doing some "research" on the web, and found out this was a "known problem" and nvidia had release a new beta driver to " fix" the problem.. well that driver didnt fixed the problem.. me a long time nvidia user was in a bind now, what to do... finally decided to return the card and get the ATI X800Pro... no more problems.. never had an ATI based card before, so far so good.. ended up costing me about $120 out of pocket thanks to the credit on the old one..good deal i thought.

8. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Odd, my PNY seems 'so far so good' NFSU2 - Everything maxed nice smooth - doom3 same - everything high at 1024x768, HL2 1280x960 - everything high no problems :)

9. compgeek89

compgeek89 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
    Same here. I love my 6600 GT

10. Kooga

Kooga New Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC 256Mb
    Picked up my BFG6600GT OC Boxing day with a big smile. Installed and fired up farcry...smiles gone!

Walls missing, sky changes colour, the odd leaf that’s turned into a solid bar...

Vice City = same, NFSU = missing track

Still scored 8K+ with 3Dmarks03 but system info reported VGA core at 299MHz??? Anybody else seen this?

Anyway, spent the next 3 days updating chipset, flashing BIOS, trying every driver known to man. No change.

Card has been returned and a BFG6800GT is on its way...smiling just thinking about it, can't wait.

11. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Mine has nice benchs but the perfomance isn´t that great. A question can my 400 w psu with 17A on the 12 rail be blamed?If it doent work shouldn´the games crash or even the win? Or on the other hand low power can cause games to run but not at max perfomance?

12. shindawg

shindawg Guest

mine has worked very well so far...... I have the chaintech Geforce 6600 GT and it works very well..... plus i dont want to spend 450$ on a better card.....:D

13. MerK55

MerK55 Member

GPU:
    Leadtek WinFast A400 TDH (A6800 TDH
    I have some mixed emotions. Gaming wise, the card has been excellent. I got some good fps in HL2, farcry, MOHPA, and Call of Duty. Which is mostly what I have been playing lately. CS:S has been hit or miss. Although I have always had fps and performance drops in maps like office. Averaged 110 fps in the stress test though.

I have had minor glitches while booting, and swithcing modes etc. White bars across the screen and such. Its only a few days old and I still have some tweeking to do before I decide on whether or not I'll keep it or trade in for a 6800nu.

Of course, I am not the guy who cranks averything on high with max res, AA AF and forcing shaders. I like things to look good and run great. And lets face it, it isnt a 6800Ultra. But I am happy with it. Kicks the crap out of my FX5600.

14. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    what are your memory timings with 280FSB? Thats some nice FSB dude. Please dont tell me 3-4-4-7 or something...

15. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    Im very confused some boxes say 300watt PSU minimum, so I bought a new PSU 350 watt antec truepower, and when my card gets here it says 450 watt PSU minimum wtf?

16. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    lol, please remove the "800 fsb" from your specs, you mean 200fsb x4. 800mhz is your system bus.

17. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    lol!!! - mine too!!! ;)

18. drewwpb

drewwpb Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900 GT
    Very Happy here too....eVGA 6600GT No Problems at all ....

19. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I have the XFX 6600GT AGP and I have tried everything under the sun to get this card performing as a 6600gt should. No Luck.

My benchmark scores are fine but gameplay shutters, and chops even on settings that this card should smoke through.

There is not one tip or bit of advice from the Guru fourm that I have not tried at least once.

I was so excited to upgraade from my 9600pro and get ready for HL2. What a drag.

20. Beanie256

Beanie256 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT
    I love mine. I reluctantly got the PNY version, but I am actually really pleased with it. Not the highest OC'er but its pretty nice. OC's to 550/1100 from 500/900 without a hickup. Haven't had any problems yet as far as gameplay goes. Talk about a jump - this card replaced my Ti 4200. But yes, I am very pleased with this card.