The 5000+ Series Drivers Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Druuge, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Druuge

Druuge Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Are there enough people in this subforum to warrant a thread for 5000 series drivers?

I'm still quite satisfied with the performance my XFX 5850 gives me. I'm playing on high/ultra with smooth FPS in most games (including Skyrim and BF3). Of course, we have to tweak a few settings like "shadows" but the card is still an ass-kicker IMO, and one of the best prolonged video card purchases I've ever made.

As our card gets older, cherry picking new drivers seems to become more mysterious ------ so again, if enough people are on board, I'll EDIT and MAINTAIN this OP based on reports in this thread (and my own testing of course).

I'm curious about the newer drivers but reading through the threads it seems like the 5000 series got left out to dry. Hell, I don't even know which of the drivers are the newest.

My system is running everything nicely with 12.2 no caps. I think this was a beta version I installed a couple of weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Disclaimer: I am no expert so this OP would be the result of 95% community testing and 5% my testing. I just wanted to consolidate all the 5000+ owners in one thread because I'm tired of keyword searching and finding erroneous posts about drivers. I'll completely edit this OP after hearing your feedback & ideas.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    The 5850 is one of the best card i ever seen and the best i got ever. i using the 12.3RC driver and everything seems to work solid, i do have performance issue with BF3 even on low settings when there is 64 player and lot of action, mainly on B2K but it playable.

3. slizersam

slizersam Active Member

GPU:
    Vega64
    love the card, in my case cards^^

4. aminfri

aminfri Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7870XT 1100/1600
    yeah my 5870 is kicking too. never felt i need to upgrade to 6000. anyways with 12.3RC (14feb) there are major corruptions with skyrim. seems specific to 5000 series. any other game i tested worked just fine. for now i stick to preview 2.

5. pastor_marco

pastor_marco Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    My 5970 seems to be doing just fine... I have no plans to upgrade until I see a game I can't play - and with the console situation being so grim - I suspect we won't need to upgrade any time soon. I hope I'm wrong of course!

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    I don't want to upgrade, but i think i start with cpu soon, however i hope we gonna see more optimized DX11 games and no dx9 ports, DX9 should die already

7. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    yeah..its nice that i bought my card now 2+ years ago..and it still performs just as well as when I first bought it...performancewise anyway :) bf3 is a bit shaky on these new nonWHQL drivers that were just released...stuttering once in a while...but other than that...solid so far, even with VLC 2.0.

8. Evomasta

Evomasta Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5970 2gb
    My 5970 Still running strong. using 12.3 RC drivers fixed a problem that had been around since i got the card.. everytime i turned on my TV it would cause CCC to crash. Its now fixed in 12.3 RC :)

9. krishnarama108

krishnarama108 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus ati 5850 1gb 850mhz
    try 12.3 ..they rock on 5850

10. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Don't try 12.3 if you like to play skyrim with anti aliasing as you get texture corruption. And don't use them if you play Rage as the game won't load with the new patch.

Or you can do what I did and use 12.3 but put the drivers from previous releases in the game folder. With skyrim and am using atiumdag.dll file version: 7.14.10.887 from Catalyst 12.1.
    With Rage I'm using OpenGl driver atioglxx.dll file version: 6.14.10.11552 which I extracted from AMD Catalyst 12.3 RC (8.950.0 January 31). The latest 12.3 uses opengl file version: 6.14.10.1154 which does not work on my system.
    I haven't tried 12.3 with all my games yet but Kindoms of Amalur runs super smooth.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

11. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX R9 295x2
    I'm running 12.2 Preview with latest CAPs for my two 5870's. Only issues are OpenGL vsync is not forcing. Any solution to that?

12. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    You could try using D3DOverrider v 2.0.1 and see if that forces Vsync on for you.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ia3wiao4yparrpy

13. BoSL

BoSL Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX1060 6GB OC
    I´m running the latest 12.3´s on my XFX 5770 without any probs whatsoever!
    Not the fastest 5000 but dang its stable!

14. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    <---- enough said.

15. kevnb

kevnb Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    screw the consoles, publishers have noticed what sells on pc and we just had an economic collapse... Successful publishers have always made games playable on hardware that isnt bleeding edge, and for people who want to be bleeding edge there are still games a 5850 wont max. Sometimes folks spend too much time on the forums and their views start to become skewed. When the new consoles come out we should be looking at windows 8/ dx12 with most devs using dx11 as a base. dont forget the dx9 api of the xbox isnt exactly the same as pc and the ps3 is opengl. What really holds us back is windows xp still being used, many non dx11 video cards still in use and dx9 still being good enough for now. Im not going to ignore consoles altogether, and their influence on the this new multiplatform game culture really varies depending on what games you play. For example, there are pc exclusive games Im sure many would call dirty console ports if they were multiplat.

16. TheOriginalTO

TheOriginalTO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870m
    So, I've heard the 12.3's are no good, so I will be getting the 12.2 again.

17. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Same here.

Heh, I'm still on the 11.10 drivers. I'm using the "if it aint broke, don't try to fix it"-principle as I've had a lot of trouble with some of last years drivers.
    Games I play the most at this time are Skyrim and Minecraft, so there hasn't been much need for upgrading. I haven't monitored the driver updates the last few months, anything I should be aware of?

18. Irocing

Irocing Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    Running the 12.1 drivers with my 5770's in CF.

These cards are very strong in CF with volt changes and clocked.
    Better than most single 5870's out there.
    Part of that could be my CPU clock.
    [​IMG]

Question though,
    Ever since going to the 12 drivers, Time to time screen goes blank and CCC reports drivers
    stopped working but then comes back.

Any ideas, Think its a driver problem.
    Never use to do that.

Going for 7970 or Kepler shortly but like to cure it for now.

Later

19. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I just stick with the WHQL drivers and have had next to no issues since I got my cards in 2010. I see no reason to stick to old drivers with these cards unless, as mentioned above, you are trying to play certain games on pre-release drivers.

20. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    ^^this. I had a Sapphire 5770 for over two years that was extremely stable.

What an excellent thread for the 5xxx owners. I am still on 12.1 with one of Hallryu's (pre-overclocked and better cooled) HIS 5850's and I game at max settings with everything I play. Loving it, to cut a long story short. But I've not bought and played BF3 or Skyrim yet but I'll do that this thursday when i get another golden coinage delivery of wage-ness. They were and still are an excellent generation of DX11 cards. I bought one (6 weeks ago?) to future proof for a while and I think that was a good investment.

[​IMG]