The "3dMark05" 6000+ club

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by xtatdsm, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    BTW. What did you clock your card to to score 6052? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Blaise,
    As far as your CPU overclock goes, well I could be wrong but I was told while I was researching my current CPU that the Newcastle cores don't have a lot of headroom when it comes to OCing. I think this has to do with the large size of the core at 130nm. Now whether this is true or something someone said who was having a hardtime OCing and made up the excuse, who knows? But I would imagine that you should be able to crank it up above 1% over stock? Keep working at it.
    When I got the 3DMark05 score of 6,052 my card was clocked much too high. I would like to be able to have these good scores but with much lower clock speeds. With that said my card was 450/1197! Take it easy, talk to you soon man.

2. Jotgga91

Jotgga91 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 6800 GTO
    You have to be really lucky to get a score that high

3. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I don' t know for other, but i have a 130nm 3500+ build on A8N-
    SLI...and the realprob for OC was only the bios before...
    With the 1003 i have never can have more like 2350 MHZ... Flash
    the bios after 2 days with the 1004 and can easy go more
    2.55 GHZ with all other hardware speed at max... HT x5, Ram at
    more 460 Mhz... etc... stable...real low temp...
    The difference betwenn 90nm and 130nm is only the temp.. but
    when you OC this little reduce (1-2 °C) decrease again.
    The real gain is the price for AMD...not sell, but build CPU...

You can allways go to a 2.7 and pehraps more with a decrease of
    HT and other settings...

4. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Lane,
    Good point! I thought there was only two different cores on the 3500+ AMD Athlons, but I just recently saw a 3500+ Clawhammer cored CPU at newegg. From the reviews there, most were running their new CPU's at 2.9 GHz with no problems. I guess that speaks to the point of the smaller core means nothing as far as OCing goes. I was supprised to see that the Clawhammer still cost less than my Winchester cored CPU even though it seems like it is a better overclocker than the Winchester. Do you have the new clawhammer or the newcastle? Would you mind letting me know what your BIOS settings are when you are at 2.55. HT, Multiplier, FSB, etc... Thanks Lane, I appreciate your help. Hope to hear from you soon.

5. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    for real, i will no try make a big Oc on my CPU... but it will not be but i will try soon...

My set. satisfy me for time.. in games..., i can play all with
    aniso 16x, antialiasing at 4x ( i have never need with 1280x1024
    use more),...CS and Half-life2, Joint- E in multi..
    Mc Rae, Riddick on max. etc, i can play all games like i want
    so it' s just what i need.

6. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Isn't it nice, I love being able to play games with full-settings and no lag! I know your specs say it, but your really running 2x 6600GT's? Just curious, what did you have for CPU, graphics card before you stepped up to SLI? It must have been a big change, good chang!

7. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    I don't really know what to say but give this a try (if you haven't already done so)...turn off Fastwrites in your BIOS. That alone gave me a 500+ marks boost although I'm using a nForce3 board not nForce4 with SLI support. I and others (read macatak) found that we were being throttled by having Fastwrites turned on - especially when benchmarking FarCry's Lab test. There was a 5 second delay in most cases near the end of the test which was fixed by turning this setting off.

In addition to the 15MHz increase I use in my core over yours, my memory is clocked 51MHz higher so that may account for 100 or 200 marks. Finally, what driver are you using? I use the XG 76.10's and had the quality setting on "high performance" for the run (although I have broken 6000 using the XG 76.41 HD drivers as well... just).

BTW. I noticed that BFG have the 512Mb 6800 Ultra OC PCIe card on their website now but looking at the specs, they clock the memory @1050MHz rather than 1100MHz... weird. (Estimated street date is late April.)

8. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    Oh, and I forgot one other BIOS setting I disabled as well. I'm not sure if this is available on other brands of boards (mine is a MSI as you can see from my specs) called "NV/ATI Speedup". It is a hidden feature in my BIOS that requires you to jump through some hoops to access it. Apparently, it is used to dynamically overclock your GFX card when it is presented with a heavy load.

Anyway, to make it available, do the following:
    1) Boot and get into the BIOS,
    2) Highlight the "Advanced Chipset" menu option,
    3) Press Shift+F2 and then ALT+F3 (if you get this sequence right, the screen will redraw... it might take a couple of goes to do so),
    4) Open the "Cell" menu (that's the overclocking etc. menu on the MSI board) and the new option is displayed,
    5) Change it from either "On" or "Auto" to "Off", and finally
    6) Save the settings.

As I said earlier, this is for a MSI board and may not be available on other brand board's BIOS but as I was already overclocking my GFX card, this stopped it from being overclocked any further and reduced any further throttling/choking. It also seems that you need to do the sequence of steps each time you wish to change this option's state.

BTW. How many posts do I need to lose my "newbie" status?

*Edit: Huh? 2 posts, ½ an hour apart and the post count didn't change.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  9. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Blaise,
    Does turning off Fastwrites help with any system or only nForce setups? I have heard quite a bit lately in the forums about Fastwrites, whether it is good or bad. Plus I am able to turn it off or on either in BIOS or in my driver settings. Does it matter which one you shut off? Thanks for your help!

10. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    um.... around 50 to change i think or 70 or 100 forgot...

anyways that doesnt matter much

11. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    150 post to become a master guru!

12. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well i pasted that long ;)

now weres that next mark...

prob 1000

13. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I thought Blaise was asking with 32 post so far. I have to learn to pay attention, HaHa!

14. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    As far as my research has taken me, it seems that the nForce boards benefit from turning off Fastwrites. My son has a P4 3.0G Prescott but alas, only a Leadtek FX 5700 (gets about 630 in the '05 benchmarks) so I should have a play with his settings - he's always complaining about his GFX card... ungreatful sod!

The question regarding turning the setting off in either the BIOS or in nvStrap (the card), I've turned it off in the BIOS and via RivaTuner as there were some reports that some cards sporadically overrides the motherboard BIOS setting.

Regarding my other post, do any of you guys have access to the "NV/ATI Speedup setting" in your BIOS? It may be hidden in some of the other OEM botherboards and may prevent some overclock choking. The info for the MSI was found on the MSI FAQ.

Finally, yeah, I know the number of posts doesn't count (no pun intended), it's the content quality, knowledge imparted and infliction that does. But term "Newbie" just doesn't seems to fit when you can get into the 6k+ club on a single nVida GFX though. LOL One other boards I frequent in Australia (GameArena), I'm almost at 1600 posts and they don't bother to rate you by the post count.

15. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Blaise,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated! So how does your son feel about you having a better system than he does, HaHa? Are you serious that he only gets 630 3DMarks in 05 with his Leadtek FX5700? I think your right, something is not right. You should help him get it working right, I would imagine he should be around 3k give or take.

I still don't really know what this Fastwrites is actually for? Should we only worry about it if something is wrong with out systems? Or is it a way to increase performance? I am sorry to keep harping on the subject but I want to know what it is for (So bare with me please). As far as accessing the "NV/ATI Speedup" settings, the only time I have been able to access them with the MSI mobo's. I am pretty sure MSI is the only ones with that hidden BIOS feature, correct me on this if I am wrong please. I don't have this feature on my A8V, and I don't have similiar settings within my BIOS either.

I was just admiring your system "Specs" and noticed one of you HDD's is "PATA", I have heard that term before but I don't know what it is?

So is GameArena a decent forum? Is it just for gaming? Again, thanks for your help, take it easy

16. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Î was having a athlon XP 3200+ in a good OC build on a A7n8X-E
    same HDD: 2x SATA 120 Go RaidO....1024 Mo Corsair C2.
    ATI 9800 XT PE.

And yes that' s change many thing.. but i have buld all my new system in one time, so when i have buying CPU - mobo - and 1 6600GT...etc...My money can' t let me put too much money for
    the graphics card..so i take a 6200 in wait...no? i have found
    one 6600gt and have buy the second the month after... And really
    for the price i have more perf. of a 6800U or a X850XT...What will the peoples more... ( it' sclear the possibilty have 2x 6800
    in SLI is really good.)

Now i wait future chpiset to see if i sell this system , and buy one or 2 new card ....need see if these come attractive.
    Like the performance in game is at max. with this cfg...pehrpas
    i don' t need change graphics cards before 2 years....

And one thing; for the price,we can usea A64 3500+ after oc like a 4000+ or a FX53... it' s really so good. With new séries FX57
    and 4200+, 4400+: this year the price will reduce a maximum.

For your " Fastwrite ", this settings increse the write ( and read)
    in memory, this will increase a littlle bit the performance (speed
    exchange with Ram)
    ASUS allways give this option enabled, many cards support it..
    You have the settings in mobo bios, and in graphics panel.

If the graphics card support this option you can select it in control
    panel directly...

But this can be set in hardware (bios) and the compability with
    driver is more good..
    <<But really, all actual card support this option. (Fast adressing
    banking)

If you have a good system: CPU/ RAM, this settings work fine..
    In other case the difference is really low...(someting with the latency or something like that)

17. AllenRH

AllenRH Active Member

GPU:
    A400 Softmod 16p/6vp 400/850
    I have a 5700 Ultra and only get 800-900 in 3dmark05 :( not with the new 6800 on the way :) it gets here in 3 days

18. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Glad for your.... What have you for the rest of sys...

My score just for fun: 3d 05

[​IMG]

This is not the best score i have made... 7191 but the system
    was busy and the driver i use now work for all game i have...and really fine...

19. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    Firstly, my son should be happy with what he has... a P4 3/0G Prescott, 1G of Geil dual-channel PC3200 RAM, a Leadtek 5700 & a Sony 16ms LCD. I'm slowly bending to his persuasion for a better GFX card and was thinking of a 6600GT. just waiting for him to show a bit more respect and not simply expect me to shell out money at the drop of a hat. He doesn't have any problems with games he runs including HL2 & CS:Source which run quite smoothly.

I'll answer your questions in order negating Fastwrites that was explained admirably by Lane. The only thing I will add is if you think something is causing you to choke and bog down in your frames per second, try turning this option off to see if it is the culprit.

That "NV/ATI Speedup" setting must simply be a MSI tweak for their "Cell" overclocking menu. It does present a worry though (as it is hidden in the BIOS and not documented in the manual) in-so-far-as if you are already overclocking your GFX and the BIOS decided to overclock it further and cause it to fail... who's to blame? It's default setting seems to be "auto" so you may inadvertently be overclocking your card without any knowledge of doing so.

PATA - Parallel ATA (as it is now known) is simply the older IDE type ATA. Before SATA (Serial ATA), it was simply known as ATA or IDE but marketing people decided to distinguish it when SATA became more common.

Is GameArena a good forum? Yes and no... the level of expertise in hardware is not has high as here and there's a lot more random comments than you'd ever find here. That said, there's a pretty tight-knit group of members that are generally a great bunch to hang out with. (Unfortunately, one our long standing members died from liver cancer yesterday. There was a rather moving thread where people spoke of her contributions and offering condolences to her family and friends.) That said, GA is run by my ISP, BigPond and they provide a rather good file mirror service that doesn't count towards my download "limit". (Yes, in Australia we have download limits due to the large geographic area and low population.) My account is termed "unlimited*" but this actually means that after 10G I can be "shaped" meaning that my speed may be decreased from 1.5M to 64k until the next month!

Take care - Blaise

20. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    A new "up" score: 7207

[​IMG]

Pehraps in near future a little 8000k ...who know?