The 2018 Steam Charts

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Steam Blog takes a look back at this past year with some "best of 2018" lists, covering the Top Selling Games, Top Selling New Releases, Top Selling VR Titles, Top Early Access G...

The 2018 Steam Charts

2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Every year I'm amazed that GTA tops the charts.... unbelievable

m4dn355 likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What is in the list:
    Multiplayer content driven: 11x (MMO-like: 2x) versus SP-story driven: 3x
    Target groups: fps/tps: 9x; Sandbox-open world: 6x; e-Sports: 5x

Simplified Genres: ARPG: 3x versus Battle Royale: 2x versus Tactical: 2x versus RPG: 1x versus MOBA: 1x versus kill-em-all: 1x versus Strategy: 1x versus racing/cars: 1x
    (Apparently, some games would fall to multiple categories, but I picked one most notable.)

Left behind: RTS: 0x; Sports: 0x; Fighting: 0x; Survival: 0x; Vehicle Simulator: 0x; Logic: 0x; Board/card: 0x

In all applicable games (11), player controls just one character. No games like Baldur's Gate, Dungeon Master, or others where you control diverse group.
    Coop/Team driven games: 8x

What's future of games? MMO times seems to be over from both player demand and development PoV (Cost). But players enjoy coop/fun in group and they prefer to control just one well developed but simple character/role in group instead of controlling multiple ones or complicated control/mechanics.

That's probably why EA's (Bioware) Anthem is: MMO-like, ARPG, coop, openworld. (And I expect them to add Battle Royale too.)
    That's why Bethesda tried to rehash their Fallout assets into Fallout 76: MMO-like, ARPG, coop, openworld-sandbox. (But last thing you want to have is multiplayer game full of bugs.)

m4dn355 likes this.
  4. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    One word for GTA ----- undying

5. clamatac

clamatac Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    I still not have GTA 5, I must be one in a million xD

TheDeeGee likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Can i join you?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I guess that makes us 3 in a million.

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Each to his own, but PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds being at the top of the list makes me fearful of 2019.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If you think that's scary, I'm sure Fortnite would rank even higher if it were on Steam.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    From that list, the only game I like is GTA 5.

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    GTA5 is still evolving and getting better and better with age. They seem to have listened to the gamers and made the game more about cars/bikes than about shooting people.

Some of the new car racing game modes are really good fun.

12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Really? i think they made GTA5 worse with their only online updates and pay to get attitude. Farm fest to get any of the decent stuff without buying the shark cards... Just a big money hole for them, i assume RDR2 will also be like this. the SP was actually really good, there was meant to be more, but they soon realised there isnt the same amount of money in it for them.

13. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    And yet with GTA V topping the charts for so long they still won't hint at releasing Red Dead Redemption 2 for the PC.
    Oh Rockstar ;)

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I have it, I've played it for perhaps an hour. Something I've not figured out with the graphic settings. It's the only game where driving, makes me feel slightly nauseated after a half hour or so. I just picked up the complete edition of Tom Clancy's Division and complete edition of WD2 for like bit over 30 dollars on Uplay. Saves needing to start Steam too. Couple of hundred hours of just time wasting fooling around. Division runs 4K at the default ultra setting on a 1080 ti ~65 FPS...not bad really. I've not played around with WD2 yet.
    It's still a marvel to me I can download 100GB+ in games in a couple of hours when that used be at least a week.

15. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    GTA=Biggest scam on earth

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Apparently people still play assassin's creed games.

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Did not expect to see ESO there.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have seen some recent reviews as it was greatly discounted on steam. They apparently improved gameplay a lot. But it is still not for me as Bethesda...

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Each to their own mate, I personally love the assassins creed games but i will admit unity and syndicate let the franchise down for me a bit

my favourite is revelations

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I prefer 'turd that won't flush'

Lol flying rocket bikes.... yeah it's getting 'better'. GTA is worse now than it was three years ago. So much wasted potential but hey you get to drive a flying Delorean that shoots rockets....

Sorry GTA has some of the most broken arse racing mechanics I have ever seen, I could write an entire essay on just how busted and lazy the race mechanics are but all I really need to say is 'catch up' and kerb boosting'.

Anyway got Monster Hunter World for my PS4 for Christmas so have been putting a bit of time in to that.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019