1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That time again already?! NFL Season fellas...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by SerotoNiN, Aug 17, 2018.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    Obviously I hope the Bears don't make it to the playoffs, but if there's one team that will choke in the first round of the playoffs it will be the Chiefs. Been happening for years now.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Really?! Even with Mahomes/Hunt/50 WR's?

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    Yes, they always choke in the playoffs. Meanwhile I'm pumped up for a Minnesota win over New England!

airbud7 likes this.
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    ****! I hate the Patriots!

SerotoNiN likes this.

5. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Packers FINALLY FIRED McCARTHY! I've been saying it since the end of the 2012 season. They wasted 5 additional years of Rodgers prime. Too little, too late. Rodgers doesn't even look as accurate or sharp as he used to. He's 6 years younger than Brady and looks and plays like he's 4 years older than him. I guess you age faster when your team expects you to do everything.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    Miike Holmgren should have never abandoned the packers, He could have got Brett Favre a second ring.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  7. Celcius

Celcius Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    Actually, I think it may be due to him doing all those awful State Farm Insurance commercials for the last seven years or so. That would exact a toll on anyone. I know I've suffered immensely from them.

airbud7, jbscotchman and SerotoNiN like this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    Insurance commercials are one of the reasons I barely watch the NFL now days, they're so ****ing annoying.

airbud7 and SerotoNiN like this.
  9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I have to admit, the NFL is missing something. Not just defense.

10. Celcius

Celcius Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    I'd offer the NFL is missing a sense of what it wants to be.

NFL football is played by athletic young males that are, in terms of physicality, in the prime years of their lives. Trust me when I say, that as a woman, I've taken particular note of this.

When there are twenty-two such individuals making physical contact with one another, often in a violent manner, there will undoubtedly be injuries. Sometimes, as we saw with QB Alex Smith, those injuries can be quite serious. And, of course, there is the understandable concern of neurological-related injuries that can accrue over time. I have no desire to see people get injured, but the NFL seems to be toying with changing football into "not-football."

The NFL has, in my opinion, tied itself almost in knots attempting to address the above issues by meddling with the it's own rules. And then, demonstrating weekly that it's crew of no less than seven, on-field officials refereeing each game, to put it kindly, have a decidedly mixed understanding of just what those rules now are. I think it's safe to state that, in terms of officiating, mistakes are being made. Or, at the very least, chaos is plainly evident. Some officiating crews seem more than willing to inject themselves into nearly every play, perhaps to demonstrate that they're completely on-board with the new, sensitive, caring and safer, National Football League.

"Well, come on, the refs only have a split-second to decide a call!"

Which, to me, begs the question, then how much time did the (alleged) offending player have to think things over? Yes, to err is human, but the League is trying to slice this particular piece of baloney way too thin. An obvious, deliberate foul should be flagged every time, but players are being required to micro-manage very dynamic situations in real-time; intervals of time so brief it's borderline impossible to accomplish. The officials are confused, as are the players, and it's likely a team's defense will suffer the most from this resulting confusion. "Can I hit this guy, or not?"

As an added bonus, here is an article in the Wall Street Journal last week where the author sure seemed to advocating for, um, some pretty profound changes that would certainly serve to free-up my autumn Sunday afternoons if they were implemented.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/would-...ll-the-violence-1542821702?mod=article_inline

My sincere apologies to SerotoNiN, for the late-hit on his thread. I'll try and behave myself in the future. Back on topic, I'm primarily interested in the Eagles & Cowboys game this Sunday. The Super Bowl Champions have played some pretty pathetic ball all season, so I'm fascinated that they could slip into 1st place in the NFC East with a win. Cowboys are pretty tough at home, however.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    Damnit, every team that I wanted to lose today ended up winning! :mad:

12. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    jbscotchman and SerotoNiN like this.
  13. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru