That Old Win10 + SLI VRAM/Mem Leak Bug...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by robb, Jul 8, 2016.

1. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Has it truly ever been fixed? It was detailed here a lot. And while it happens in only a few games (GTAV, The Division, and a few others I can't recall), when I want to play them I'm forced to use my Win8.1 boot instead of Win10. If I still try to use Win10 instead, either the game will crash in some unspecified way, or Windows will minimize the game and ask me to close it to free up memory. And it happens with and without a pagefile, just like in the other thread.

My problems are exactly the same as in the thread I linked, and it's been like this for as long as I can remember. It has never been different, since I've tried literally most of the drivers, including that old one which was supposed to fix this exact problem.

GTA V I seem to only trigger it if I use DSR with SLI under Win10. The Division...it happens regardless of what's going on. In general, I can play on the lowest possible settings, and the problem still will occur for each game that is affected by this (which is only a handful). BF1 (alpha, NDA has lifted) also has a memory leak problem but since it's not final I can't say for sure if it's related to this (again which works fine under 8.1 and not 10).

The following is from The Division a few months ago when I tried to report it for the umpteenth time to Nvidia:
    Win 8.1:
    [​IMG]
    Win10:
    [​IMG]

GTA V on the other hand doesn't exactly hit the limit immediately like The Division, but it sits well above the 3.5GB partition of VRAM, eventually crashing when it hits 4GB. The problem isn't that it goes over that partition--it's that only under Windows 10 it remains well above it and stays there, causing problems, constantly growing.

If I use a massive pagefile (such as 16GB), it just fills up immediately and it's like it doesn't even exist because VRAM usage shoots straight up. If I turn it off entirely, the games will usually crash within a few minutes. Otherwise, I only leave 2GB for the pagefile. Again, this applies to Win10. Win8.1 won't crash at all.

I did install a test copy of Win10 on another drive to try it out there. I only installed the Nvidia driver, a few Intel drivers provided by Gigabyte for my motherboard, and let Windows 10 update itself. So I installed no software that could've conflicted with it there, yet it still occurs on that fresh test install.

Am I alone in this? I'm just nearing the point that I'll give up with SLI since I can't get Nvidia to respond to me after many months of providing different tests, and this is becoming bothersome. Was there ever some fix I never heard of (tried that old driver which was to fix this)? Or is it likely my assumption that it's a, perhaps rare, driver problem that I can't do a thing about?

Sorry for the long post. Just getting fed up is all and hoping to hear something.

2. peppercute

peppercute Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 2080Ti TRIO
    I have same bug! but only ram leak.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    w10 is a bug by itself, and they wont fix a thing unless half the globe complains, their current motto goes like this "never finished" so essentially its procrastination made official, since they can fix it later, they WILL fix it later, so you keep waiting there, it will come...

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The memory leak could be coming from the Intel Chipset drivers. Try forcing an update using their installer with "-overall" added to the command line. By default, the Intel package will ONLY update components flagged as "Critical".

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I gotta say what a bunch of crap, wow can't believe there letting it go like this.

6. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    No. Don't make stuff up.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    That's cool to know to be honest :D

Didn't know it was just to give devices names.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Well it does have drivers for a select few devices, but 98% are just text modifiers for device manager.

Most people can ignore it

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    This bug is essentially fixed now.
    However, Windows 10 does tend to still use a lot more virtual memory in SLI mode compared to Windows 7 and 8.

I have no issues running GTA V at native 3840x2160 with 2xTXAA and maximum settings.
    This is with a 24GB page file, and 16GB system RAM.
    But then again I also have 6GB VRAM.

BTW, is your HDD or SSD system drive almost full?
    This can also cause stability issues in Windows 10 in some games, and is really a side effect of the virtual memory "bug".

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Better you report this issue to NVIDIA... Do not blame NT 10.0 for this, for pre-DX12 APIs the memory model is the same of WDDM 1.x.

11. pittiez

pittiez Member

GPU:
    680x2
    i think the bug started after 350.12 if i remember correctly, then it was fixed and then reintroduced again

its easly trigable if the game is in windowed mode or u alt tab a ton

12. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    For my Z77 chip, it's just an .inf as CrazyBaldhead pointed out. The only other drivers from Intel are the Intel ME, and a LAN driver (the former which I didn't bother installing to troubleshoot).

Do you have a native monitor of 1080P or similar to try DSR with? Not sure if you can put your current to a lower and get DSR to kick in rather than it just displaying natively again. GTA V only has this problem when I use DSR + SLI under 10. Where-as The Division and the few other games I can't remember were regardless of that. And the only reason I bother is because of the chromatic aberration they use--which, as the resolution increases, it's effects become far less noticeable. At 1440P, I barely notice it at all.

My drives aren't near full...at least I consider 50GB on each to be more than suitable. I'll try with a 100GB pagefile on my HDD and see how it goes. The fact that it just chews through the pagefile, and then the VRAM, regardless of settings is just totally bizarre. Unlike papercute up above, my RAM usage is totally fine, it's just the VRAM with certain games until a crash occurs.

I never said this was a Windows' fault--it wouldn't belong in this subforum if it was. If you've read, I've reported it for months off and on to Nvidia with never a single peep from anyone; I'll use their survey forum and then also post it on the thread so others can read. I used to hound ManuelG on the Geforce forums for the driver thread that is posted annually and even he wouldn't ever reply to me (kept it kind and calm, not like I yelled or blamed him for anything).

That's why I won't bother with SLI in the future, even though it's worked perfectly in nearly every other game. Just pisses me off they keep ignoring this and won't try to even contact me for more info. Even a close friend who was going to spend thousands on a new SLI PC with Win10 said he wasn't going to bother with SLI since he hears me complain to him about all these problems. Told him he still can--just keep a dual boot handy.

Yep. Usually makes it easier for Windows to find the appropriate updates and assign the right devices to things too in my experience.

Yeah, it's easier to trigger the more I alt+tab and transition to other windows. When I played GTA V last year, and started noticing weird VRAM usage, alt+tabbing would usually make it happen all the quicker. That's what made this all click in my head back then.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok so just tried GTA again just to get images. Went in online, made sure to go same routes and do the same crap in general. Timed it so both were at same times during the game day, which was evening. I set Win10 to use a 32GB swapfile instead of 100GB like I said so that I could fit it no problem on a spare SSD. Win8.1 remained at a 2GB set swapfile.

Pagefile used in Win10 is much higher obviously, along with VRAM. Eventually, it crashed after a lot of hard stuttering.

VRAM and pagefile under Win8.1 is much lower in comparison, without any stuttering and without crashing.

Win 8.1
    [​IMG]

Win10
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Currently I'm using my new fancy 27" Asus PG27AQ 4K G-Sync monitor :)
    But I still have an older 24" Dell U2410 1920x1200 monitor, and there are no problems either when using this in GTA V with 4xDSR (i.e. 3840x2400 downsampled) and 2xTXAA.

Regarding the "drives full" issue, don't worry about this.
    It only becomes a problem, when you are very nearly out of disc space (and then again only in some games).
    I just had to rule it out as a possible cause.

BTW did you try an older driver?
    Some of the 368.xx drivers are known to have bandwidth and SLI scaling issues in some games.
    361.91 might be worth a try in GTA V, just to see if this is indeed a driver problem.

You might also want to have a look into optimizing your Windows 10 installation a little, by disabling unnecessary services and such (click on the "Windows 7 & 10 Gaming Tips" link):
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4908843#post4908843

For example is the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service Win 10 service known to cause intermittent crashing in Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  14. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Just to note, my previous images in my very last post was with v368.39.

So I went way back and tried v355.80, which was the hotfix for SLI and virtual memory consumption. That hotfix also screwed up sensor readings, which resulted in readings I can't use properly:
    [​IMG]
    I assume it's reading a combo of both the dedicated memory and other available memory on the GPU.

Everything earlier has VRAM and pagefile usage that is damn similar to 8.1.
    So here's v350.12, which is the "game ready" driver for GTA V:
    [​IMG]
    Even earlier drivers to v350.12 reflect the same, albeit performance for those in general is worse as maintaining 60 frames is a struggle.

I'd also look into The Division again, but since there's been no mention of it in release notes for quite a few releases, I doubt that has changed...and I don't feel like freeing up 35GB+ for it. That would always load up in minutes. Anyways, I have to wonder if this issue mainly only affects 970s then--probably instigated by the wonky partition. @GuruKnight Thanks for being a trooper and telling me that info while at 1080p using SLI+DSR. Seems v350.12 appears to be the most stable for me, with little to no stutter at all after hours. From the hotfix and onwards, the stuttering increases. I'll just have to hunker down with v350.12 while I play GTA V and move on when I stop again and use others.

On, and also, I disable many of the unneeded services in Windows from a fresh install. Gotta thank Black Viper for his neat guides which have made it a much quicker process than it was years ago.

15. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126