Thanks ATI, switching to Nvidia!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by meds, Mar 23, 2008.

1. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    UG_PL is that not a good card then? Was considering getting it to upgrade from my 6800 ultra, im only AGP btw. What do you reckon performance wise? is it worth £130?

2. JimmyFox

JimmyFox Master Guru

GPU:
    2x ATi Radeon HD4830 CF

Thanks guys.

It's really frustrating to see threads (and reviews) bashing ATi for it's drivers.

I mean come on! How many thread were posted because users didn't had audio from the HDMI and the problem was that the hadn't change the Default Audio Device via Windows Control Panel? Some hadn't even installed the Drivers because the had just downloaded the Catalyst from ATi's website and never took the time to install the Full package of driver?

How many installed CCC without having .NET installed? Of course the CCC will not work properly if you don't have the proper .NET version installed. But ATi is giving it to you in your CD Drivers! Install the damn thing!

I owned almost every single card of ATi since the X1800XT. I NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH THE DRIVERS.

Why? Because:

1) I know how to setup my Windows
    2) I know how to install a bunch of drivers
    and most importantly:
    3) I select hardware that can be properly combined! I want CrossFire? I will get a mobo with ATi chipset!

Anyway, unfortunately I cannot post all these things in all threads that have to do with ATi drivers. Most of them I don't even read anymore... It just gets on my nerves.

3850 is the fastest card on AGP right now but be careful.

AGP is not anymore officially supported by ATi anymore. They release Hotfix drivers for their AGP card BUT they are not officially supported.

Since there are still many AGP users some manufacturers (Sapphire, PowerColor etc) produce AGP cards with ATi GPUs but ATi cannot guarantee that they will work without problems.

So, it's a bit of a risk.

I suggest you get a X1950 on AGP if you really want to stay with AGP.
    Otherwise, make a full upgrade and go to PCIe.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  3. meds

meds Master Guru

GPU:
    Jimmy you assume everyone is a noob. People who post on here are probably 99% more knowledgeable than the noobs who order dell desktops with vista. FYI 1800xt which I own works great in my other pc but you really haven't been with ATI that long seeing as you started with that one. I built a pc back in the day with a good old 8500, which kicked ass. Tis a shame their drivers are worse than hell now.

4. JimmyFox

JimmyFox Master Guru

GPU:
    2x ATi Radeon HD4830 CF
    Unfortunately, most of them are when it come to ATi Drivers. Users who have no problems installing ATi drivers do not start silly threads like "I have no Audio from my HDMI" or "Do I need to install .NET to run CCC" or "ATi sucks, hail nVidia"

Who said I started with X1800XT? The first ATi I've bought was the Radeon 8500 (well actually my first ATi was on my 8088, CGA 4 colours, but we can't really count that...).

Being a PC system builder and a hobbyist I 've used and tested graphics cars as old as the Rage 128 as well as most nVidia cards since the Riva TNT

What I said was that since the X1800XT I 've used almost every card by ATi (practically all the X1900 series, the X1950 series, the HD29xx series, the HD38xx series and I 've also tested some lower models like the HD2600) which allowed me to familiarize with the advantages and disadvantages of each series compared to other cards, the way the drivers work and the proper experience to allow me to laugh every time someone says to me "Hey, nVidia has better drivers than ATi".

What people need to understand is that EVERY piece of software has problems. There is no such thing as "flawless software" or, of course "flawless hardware".

If someone doesn't like it, sell their PC and get a Wii.

For example, Catalyst 8.2 were good. I installed 8.3 and my 3dMark06 score went 3000Marks down. But my games were as fast as they were before. So? The lower benchmark score is really a "problem" since the games were OK? NO. Catalyst 8.4 will probably fix this anyway. It won't hurt me or my gaming to wait for the new drivers.

Another example, when 3870X2 came out, the drivers weren't ready and the card was not as fast as it should. That's why 8.3 came out so soon. So? Do you think that 9800GX2 has good drivers? Everyone is waiting for the new drivers. nVidia hadn't released official drivers for the 8800 series for months for Christ's sake!

But am I really the only person in the world that has no complains about Catalyst? Come on, I can't be that lucky!

5. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    ATi drivers and visual quality + HDMI + Hardware acceleration are a very good argument in selling.

But it's true the driver are a pain in the ass installing. I've never managed to install them propertly on XP on my brother PC. In Vista it was alright taugh. So I'll say nVidia driver are easier to use.
    I hope they'll solve their Crossfire 3750X2 bugs! This is something im considering.

6. compuguy1088

compuguy1088 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD Radeon 5850
    Trust me, the driver situation with NVIDIA is not that peachy. They haven't released an official WHQL driver for any of the 8xxx series in months. All we have gotten is drivers for the newer 9xxx series, which only makes up TWO CARDS. There are leaked drivers in the 174.xx series that have support for the 8xxx series. These drivers are pretty much a mixed bag with various issues with flickering with AA in certain games.

Just wanted to just say that not everything is perfect with NVIDIA....

I've owned a few ATI cards that were AGP (9600 XT, x700 Pro, x850 pro) and had good experiences. My experiences with NVDIA have been similar, though they have been kind of slow of releasing a decent set of official drivers as of the beginning of this year.

7. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I have been a Nvidia fan for a long time, and i have nothing good to say about ATI.

I have owned 3 ATI cards, my first was long ago, i upgraded from a Voodoo 2 SLI set up to a single 32mb ATI card(i cant recall wich is was) The damn thing would not play the game i was playing at the time, Diablo 2.
    So i went back to me Voodoo cards then got the Voodoo 5.

After that it was on to Ti4200 for many years, till i upgraded to 8x AGP and i got a new MOBO and a new ATI 9800Pro( top of the line card at that time.)
    I was so happy to have a real high end card, but soon as i loaded up a game, the PC would lock!
    I sent the card and MOBO back RMA, the AGP slot was fried, along with the 9800pro.
    They sent me a new one of both, and same thing happend again both fried first time i tried to play a game.
    Now this could have been a incomatibility with the MOBO and the ATI card, or could have had nothing to do with ATI, but none the less i sent both back and got a refund.

I picked up a FX5700UT and never looked back, and untill Nvidia gives me a reason to look at ATI again, i dont think i will.

I herd lots of good things about the 3800 cards and the new X2, but nothing i have seen shows it to be better then my 8800GTs in SLI, and sence i have an Nvidia chip set, no point it swaping any thing to test it out.

GL and hope evey thing works out well for you if you do swap to Nvidia from ATI, but im still not sold on the DUEL GPU cards just yet, no matter if its ATI or Nvidia.

8. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    ok good for you...do you think nvidia is problem free?...:)..

9. meds

meds Master Guru

GPU:
    of course not, but I never had nightmares of reinstalling, reformatting and having my game crash in the middle of a match when I had a geforce 2!

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yup, making a topic is gonna make drivers better. :D

11. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    for me is different..i had a lot of problems with my only nvidia card that i had..every ati card that i had never had a problem...just small bugs sometimes with newer games that where fixed with the new drivers...i remember i had a a big problem in splinter cell chaos theory with my old 6600gt, when i had it...and i had the card for about a year and all the new drivers couldn't fix the texture, lighting and shading problems...it only worked with some older drivers...and that's just one big problem...

12. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    If you think going to nvidia is going to be a cakewalk you are in for a rude awakening. I just came from an nvidia card and let me tell, they have their share of problems as well.

13. Raven'sBlood

Raven'sBlood Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GTX
    Wouldnt blame you for switching. :puke2: ATI

14. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    look it's a fanboy!!..

15. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Here m8 have a 9800gx2 for free. And you would say no!!! Sorry m8 you are been a retard.:bang::bang:

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    Hey dude, no need for this, gator did NOT call anybody names, no need for you to resort to this.:)

For me, I've played both sides of the field, started out with the 9700Pro -> 9800Pro -> 6800Ultra -> 7950 GX2 - CF HD 2900XT -> CFX HD 3870 X2, I put my money where my mouth is and have bought high-end products from both makers. Each has its merit, and it's all down to preference.....and let's leave it at that.:)

Now, I run the system in my profile and have had no issue with drivers failing to install, or no CCC when the driver suite is installed. Though, admittedly, I did have some problem with the display driver NOT installing on the first try (but this was with my 2900XTs). So far, while I can't say I'm happy with the performance, I can't say I'm disappointed either. Games run silky smooth, except for Crysis, although there are some game, like GOW, where I do notice a micro stutter issue. COD4 can have framerate soar to well clear of 100fps, but does plunge to 20+fps in some levels/scenes.

So far, my cards are performing well enough for me to enjoy gaming on my rig, and with better drivers from ATi, I hope to play Crysis at Very High with decent framerate. Meanwhile I have other games to contend with so I ain't too bothered about crysis right now (I did finish it with my CF HD 2900XTs before they died on me)

17. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's

You are correct about that. nVidia does the same thing. I think both ATI and nVidia are in such a hurry to get new products out the door, they dont' take the time to write drivers to take advantage of the technologies they already have.

18. centurie

centurie Master Guru

GPU:
    n/a
    i switched from nvidia to ATI a year ago and will never go back , i have never had a problem with ATI drivers, they work and work well , Nvidia has always been crap , they fix it for one game ,but it breaks another game.........ATI works with all games old and new, and i don't care what people say, ATI's IQ is still better than nvidias, nvidia in come games looked blurry nand out of focus , i will never use nvidia again , i am not bothered about having the fastest card i just want one that works.....ATI works for me , i have 2 2900XT's and they work like a dream ,, i max out every single game i play on my 19" LCD, (can't play on bigger screens)hurts my eyes.........

the OP stated he wants to turn to nvidia, well gl and shut the door on the way out, i have already shut the door on nvidia and won't be back..........BTW these new 8.3 cats are just awsom no problems with any of the games i play.

19. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I've not had a problem with my HD3850, all games are seamless, except for Stranglehold which I believe is game issue, not a driver issue.

Richard Burns Rally has always been temperamental on previous cards (X800, 8600GTS, 7900GS), but for once I can play a whole country without a crash.

Not sure what the driver issues are supposed to be exactly either, I use the Omega drivers with the latest ATT (now supports dynamic fan control) and have no issues, I musta played 15 hours on the computer over the Easter weekend without any issues, and that was across rFactor, Bioshock, Live for Speed, GTL, Lost Planet.

20. meds

meds Master Guru

GPU:
    OP you're the OP, PICS STAT.:3eyes: I see you came trolling from some major online forum. Don't let ati drivers fry your video card when you use the auto-tune feature! 06

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008