Thank you AMD for great Software Quality & Support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Yezirael, Mar 10, 2015.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I unfortunately cannot find a later bios version that might fit your card in the wild. I wholeheartedly recommend running the MSI update tool and look for vbios updates. The latest I've found in general was version 015.36 from Sapphire, but it won't work for your card. Yours has 015.025.

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

[​IMG]

Strangely enough I had it happen a second time today too (about 3 minutes ago).

The only thing I can think of that I did significant enough today was deleting that useplatformclock bcdedit entry (so TSC would be used over HPET), although I'm not sure if I rebooted to set the setting before the first wake crash or not.

If it happens again, i'll try re-adding the entry and see if it helps.

3. ApexiTT

ApexiTT Active Member

GPU:
    780ti Sli
    Dude.. sounds like it's your system or bad video card.. I wouldn't blame it on a driver because You aren't the only one with this card.. No issues here. fix your ****.

Hardware R9 290 (Reference design - which periodically black-screens during heavy load)
    Check temps if continues RMA it.. simple as that.

I thought the 'monitor wakeup' problem has been solved long time ago,
    i've reinstalled my machine a week ago, driver ver is your epic Omega Driver (which's release was over 3 month's ago - but thats another topic.)
    LOL.. it was. :-/

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I've had 2 different AMD motherboards, and a H97 Intel motherboard, 4 different 7850 cards, and varied use of 1 or 3 Acer S201HL monitors and a CRT monitor, along with many Windows 7 and 8.1 installs. I've seen the wake issue happen at least once on all those hardware combinations, and seen it on plenty of OS installs.

I'm pretty confident it isn't faulty hardware that can make this happen alone; at least in my scenario.

It doesn't happen on Linux though (regardless of fglrx or radeon, and hardware combination above). That doesn't really help narrow down the issue too much though.

5. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Thats strange he mentioned the black background / mouse cursor thing, I too had that problem a few times last week. Seemed like it would happen when waking my computer, or when it was running for about 24 hours.. I did some clean up using tune up utilities, sfc /scannow, and the problem hasn't happened in a few days now for me. Not sure if it was a fluke, or what. My windows install is just barely over 3 months old

6. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    it happens for some. To avoid loosing work, or whatever when monitor won't wake up, make the power button (keyboard or case, whatever) default action to be to put PC to sleep (S3 state and up). Then put it to sleep and wake it and monitor will turn on.

PS. It happens to me every now and then and this is how I avoid loosing work.

7. picturaw

picturaw Member

GPU:
    AMD 7790 1GB
    I observed that when I'm listening to music with Spotify and that my screen goes to sleep mode, it's then almost systematic that my screen will never wake up. So I need to reset my computer. Very annoying. Just tested today with the last 15.5 beta and that was the same with the 15.3 beta.

Could someone test this scenario to confirm that this issue is not specified to my system ?

8. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    I think you can post your findings in this topic:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399486

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To be frank, you seem to have a very old vBios there. I had a similar with my vanilla 7970. The bios has went from version 015.25 to 015.41-43. After I flashed the bios I never had the sleep bug again, no matter the driver. Does you card have a bios switch on it? Can you try flashing some different bioses?

For a safer flashing method, you can try MSI Live Update 6, and check if you have any firmware upgrade for the card.

10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    you don't have to restart. My post right above yours explains how to deal with the issue.

11. picturaw

picturaw Member

GPU:
    AMD 7790 1GB
    Yeah right, but that's just a workaround, not a solution.

So no one has tried this issue with Spotify ? I've already posted this issue to the AMD report form. Still, I was wondering if someone else has this strange correlation with this soft and this screen wake up issue.

12. crz

crz Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Another workaround that worked for me when I had a 7970 was to blindly press Windows + P then use the cursor keys and Enter to switch to another multi-monitor config followed by Windows + P again and switching back to single screen.

13. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Well, I am afraid that's as good as it gets. AMD "solved" this problem 3 drivers ago (or so), they posted it in the changelog. So as far as they are concerned - we are not having this issue anymore. :( I hope I am wrong.