Thank you AMD for great Software Quality & Support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Yezirael, Mar 10, 2015.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    apparently, he forced a reboot and his local github decided his commits were corrupted and tried to recover them.

Im not sure a backup would be much help there

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Elpida is all right if you don't play with it, but it's definitely a limiting factor when it comes to viable clocks/voltages and overall stability.
    I undervolt all right, but if I forget that im undervolted and fire up Cata CC -> BSOD.

It sucks that core/mem voltage can not be set independently.

3. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    From November 2013 to March 2015, Nvidia has released:

November (2013):
    1 Beta, 1 WHQL

December (2013):
    None

January (2014):
    1 Beta, 1 WHQL

February (2014):
    1 WHQL

March (2014):
    1 WHQL

April (2014):
    1 Beta

May (2014):
    1 WHQL

June (2014)
    1 Beta, 1 WHQL

July (2014):
    1 WHQL

August (2014):
    None

September (2014):
    1 WHQL

October (2014):
    1 WHQL

November (2014):
    3 WHQL

December (2014):
    1 WHQL

January (2015):
    1 WHQL

February (2015)
    3 WHQL

March (2015)
    None yet.

It'd seem to me, Nvidia pretty much releases a new driver with optimizations every time new games come out. AMD doesn't, and has deemed it necessary to cut back on doing that for some bizarre reason.

Between November and now, there's been 8 Nvidia drivers, and only one AMD driver. Yeah.

4. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    AMD released the Fix3er in the meantime, don't forget that. A lot of people found it funny.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    This mess is a major failure by AMD not being able to support their users with stable drivers; will be using the open-source drivers from now on and in the future (unless they start paying attention to the community and our request).

6. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    I wish there was a third competitor in producing GPUs ,preferably a Chinese one that would without a doubt force prices down for customers like us.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just to add to this....

My GTX970 has Hynix memory on it and experiences the same "black screen" when waking from sleep. Is that AMD's fault as well or can I safely blame someone else?

I've got 1 HD7950 with Elpida and 1 R7 240 with Hynix.....both experience the same "black screen" issue under the right circumstances. I've also had 2 APU's experience this "issue" and an HD7870.

I've seen this "issue" with every card I've had since they started this "low power state" crap.

More driver releases, doesn't necessarily mean better drivers.

The rushed release schedule AMD used to use, caused issues to go unpatched for several months because there wasn't enough time to write, test, and publish the necessary code. With the "release when ready" schedule that AMD has gone to, drivers should be more stable and contain more fixes.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's already a cutthroat business.

With only 2 survivors. Of which at least one would love to get out, and no one is looking to get in.
    Cutting edge tech required, plenty R&D needed, lots of software support, shrinking volumes, slim earnings.

Doubt there is a Chinese company crazy enough to enter this,
    but if there was all it would do is shrink volumes even further and increase prices of the remaining high-end GFX lineup.

9. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    Why would AMD do that? They don't make the cards.

10. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080

11. SabotageX

SabotageX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090Ti
  12. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    XFX
    Product Description : CORE RADEON R9 290 947M 4GB D5 DP HDMI 2XDVI
    Product name : R9-290A-ENF

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

You blame AMD for something game developers chose not to support properly? Isn't that kind of ironic? :p

I don't like to burn my LCDs (nor any screens) 24/7 (what's the point in a screen being on if I'm or nobody is in front of it; can't just throw money at a new screen each time one gets some burn-in/dead backlight/etc), hence I want them to turn off when inactive after a period of time. In my case, manually turning them off makes me have to wait 10-20 seconds for one screen to turn back on (Acer's silly EnergyStar logo bs takes forever on newer screens), along with slightly bumping my multi-monitor positioning off a little bit.

So, I can either deal with that, or... use a monitor sleep feature that's existed for years. Oh wait; can't use it on Windows since it somehow manages to not even work properly for some unexplainable reason (upping the voltage didn't help in my case).

But then again, because I have no idea what causes the problem exactly; I don't know what to blame either. Could be AMD's fault, could be some weird issue with power management on Windows, could be some GPU issue (that happens to affect 4 different 7850 GPUs with all different VBIOS), etc.

All I know is, it doesn't happen on Linux (which is great in my case).

You probably won't be missing much with open-source drivers anyway. If anything, you'll probably have a better experience overall. Plus, not being tied to specific X and kernel versions (and as a side-effect, distro versions even) is awesome :)

(with that in-mind; I'd hope the next driver supports XOrg 1.17.1 at least and 3.19; considering that's what Vivid seems to be planning to launch with (1.17.1 has been in the staging PPA for a while now).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  14. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    LOL good luck, you will need it.

Chinese quality is beyond horrible, they just can't make anything right there. Numerous companies are pulling away from there (or so I heard) in the recent years, and for a good reason.

I see the hate is real as usual. I have my objections to what AMD does, did or didn't, but the amount of garbage some of you people spew out is beyond ridiculous. I bet AMD will be responsible for those 2001 attacks in New York pretty soon at this rate.

15. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    Me too , I wish 3dFx would make a come back and bring Nvidia and AMD to its knees

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Agreed, its pretty ridiculous..

17. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I didn't find a way to attach the DXDiag File...
    Can I PM you with it?

Regardless, I've sent the bug report.

18. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Correct, there is no option for a DXDIAG report my mistake. Don't worry about it though as it asks you to list system specs. Thanks. :)

19. progrox

progrox Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X 2GB OC
    R9 270X, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Catalyst Omega 14.12.

I also have this issue. My system will not reliably wake up. No sleep, no nothing; just set to "Turn off the display after..". For now I've disabled this, but it's a huge pain in the ass. Please see to it that this is fixed soon.

20. Fuuka

Fuuka Guest

GPU:
    R9 265X 2GB
    I don't know for others, but this fixed my sleep/wake problem. My computer is amd/intel switching system, enduro. This might not fix it for you, but I would give a try