Thank you AMD for great Software Quality & Support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Yezirael, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Except the monitor not waking up bug is AMDs fault, and has been for years

Yea you shouldn't leave valuables in your car, but it's not your fault if it gets broken into and they get stolen

The reason we should back up regularly, is because there are bugs and faults and problems that companies have not fixed

2. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Can also confirm this bug is still present.
    BTW Can you please give me an ETA on next driver release.With all due respect it would also be great if you could remove 'soon' from your dictionary.
    Thnx AMD matt.

3. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    You likely have a bad card. Black screens are usually due to faulty GPU memory.

4. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Agree. I know the sleep bug is AMD's fault but my point is why do you need to use sleep mode or have the monitor switch off by itself anymore. The whole reason that was implemented was to make pc faster to wake up while still connected to power and to save power but yeah most people running SSD these days. But for loosing 10 hours of work is just absurd to blame AMD for that.

These days you can never trust anyone and that's why you have multiple backups. What if I have a raid card that failed and I loose 10+TB of data. That's why you have multiple points of backup.

AMD doesn't know what soon means. i hate it when companies say stuff like that. Soon could mean a year from now to some people

5. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    I read somewhere that the new catalyst driver with freesync support will be released March 19th.
    But I suppose @AMDMatt won't confirm if it's truth :mad:

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its confirmed.

several times over

By an official press release, and Matt

7. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    All the R9 290 Reference models with Elpida Memory are borked. I've delt with so many over the year and of course the 3 of them I went though personally.

AMD should of recalled all of them imo

8. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

9. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    lol.

when people dont backup stuff i always say "Jesus Saves, you should too"

10. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    No hard feelings please. But for how long have you owned this stock R9 card? Has this card gone through lots of bitcoin mining sessions?

11. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

I have asus 1215b (HD6320) and usually use external display (monitor) connected via HDMI. When I entered sleep mode, disconnected HDMI cable, moved the netbook, connected it to TV (also via HDMI) and wake the netbook up, video signal has been send but TV screen has way too much red color. Omega drivers. It was not the first time I connected it to the TV but I usually first wake up the netbook, then connect external screen.

~Half a year or so I had the netbook connected to the monitor via HDMI. I hibernated it and disconnected HDMI cable. Then I woke it up without external monitor plugged in. Starting windows screen was shown but right after it (I have auto log-in set up) when desktop should be shown there was just black screen. I had to restart the netbook

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  12. rockenren

rockenren Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Backups on home pc, how sweet.
    Sweet as advice to turn off monitor sleep function.

I know, you trying to help. Nothing personal. But this advices instead of fixing problem in drivers sounds like crap to me.

13. Shinshin

Shinshin Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4670
    I have 2 cards in my system (7950 and 7870xt) and I have the sleep bug in both (crossfired or not).

I disabled the monitor from sleeping and I'm switching it off manually.

Looking for a driver update also...

14. haz_mat

haz_mat Master Guru

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Disabling ULPS with Afterburner always did the trick for me. I've seen the black screen at wake bug before on this 290x and both of the previous 7850s I had. I can also confirm that sometimes the screen would wake up again after like 5 minutes of waiting - replugging the monitor often got the screen back but not always.

Also with the 290x I've had strange issues using the unofficial overclocking mode in Afterburner with PowerPlay disabled. Seems glitchy in that mode so I've been sticking with the standard overclocking.

15. Yezirael

Yezirael Member

GPU:
    VEGA 64

Since early december 2013, contacted Sapphire in January 2014 and in March
    both times they refused concern to get a replacement card - as this model seems to be broken (others also had problems with R9 290, Elpida .., so its not just one card - its probably the first charge/series of this model which's broken).

Also its true that AMD has nearly ignored everything about the hardware-fault-problems on this model (or at least ignored in in public), as its not a good PR for a company that their first released cards of a high-end series are 90% broken.

Over the first months after they've released the card there were romours about its a fixable issue - a fixed bios / driver will come soon.

Now its 1 Year - 4 Months -> nothing changed, so i'm 100% sure its a hardware issue.

About mining no - i havent used the card for compute stuff yet (just for playing games).

About the fanboys here calling for 'make backups' - sorry guys, have you ever 'worked' with a computer, no just played?
    Idk, but i know noone that's so paranoid that he/she's making backups while typing / coding.

I think its reasonable to have a normal work-day/night - after that you'll copy / commit / push your work to a remote system.

As i said, i'm taking care about saftyness - i just expect the system to run stable for at least one workday, i knew the bug was there - but as far as i was informed the bug should have been fixed with 14.12.
    Also the system has been reinstalled a few days ago before that - i had no issues with Monitors not waking up (same hardware / same driver / same os)

16. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    I have Elpida memory but I dont have a reference 290.
    But I have seen on a few forums of people with reference cards with elpida memory have these wake up issues.

Im running the 14.12 and thankfully I dont have any wake up monitor issues.
    Im running 3x monitors on my 290 for eyefinity. I never disable eyefinity,
    1 monitor on my 9800gtx

17. Krelianz

Krelianz Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    Simple question:
    From 1 to over 9000 how stupid you would have to be to not save for "over 10h" of work?

18. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    I never encounter the sleep bug before, I got a feeling you have broken card.
    Sapphire has a bad rep for QC from personal experience, why do you see amazon selling Sapphire's r9 290x dirt cheap?

I personally use Asus card R9 290x reference for a 1 year before I upgrade to 980. it has no issue other then using mantle at early stage.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  19. Yezirael

Yezirael Member

GPU:
    VEGA 64
    As i said - it has been saved, it was also commited (local git clone)
    after reset a windows made a filecheck "repaired" stuff
    and it hit the files i worked on.

@ Lost&Found folder was just crap

So dont blame me.

20. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    I have a card with the Elpidia memory and had crap ton of black screen freezes until I stopped trying to undervolt the card. It wasn't that bad with Catalyst 14.4 though. Anything after that made it ten times worse.

Please explain what's wrong with backups. Everyone should be doing them precisely to avoid crap like this.
    Also "advices instead of fixing problem in drivers", what does that even mean? Like we should fix the drivers instead of giving advices on how not to lose anything in case of **** hitting the fan? Really?
    Or maybe you're mixing apples and shoes.