TessMark + my 5970 = BSOD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by nfigot, Aug 20, 2010.

1. nfigot

nfigot Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 480 x 2 (SLI)
    Any how - running the program default settings causes my system to BSOD - using 10.7a drivers on Win 7 64 bit.

I emailed the author so if I find out anything else I'll post an update.

Just thought I'd let you all know in case anybody else has problems and wonders if it is their system.

Last time I reported a problem to this author about one of his other programs I was impressed with his response and he fixed it - course if others with 5970s have no issues I won't rule out my system either, but don't think it is since nothing else gives me any issues at the moment.

Neil

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    ah,yes,i read your post,and tried the software but i didnt get bsod it just froze my system,sapphire 5970oc-win7 32bit-ati 10.7 drivers,it looks like its something to do with msi afterburner http://www.ozone3d.net/smf/index.php?topic=2522.0

3. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    10.7 + this bench give corruption/crash freeze with tesselation + OpenGL4.0.... Developper recommend don't use this driver for this bench ( it's write on their site ) ...... i don't know if it's the driver ( it's not optimised for this bench anyway right now ), or the bench itself ..... So if you want to use this bench, don't do it with the 10.7 .

4. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I used 8.761 driver and I had no problems running this bench. Although,. the performance is very weak, compared to Nvidia.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010

5. nfigot

nfigot Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 480 x 2 (SLI)
    Well the warning I saw when I downloaded it from geeks3d.com was:

"*** WARNING ***: there is a BUG in Catalyst 10.7 that prevents to use OpenGL 4 GPU tessellation on all Radeon HD 5800. Other Radeon like HD 5700 are not affected by this bug.

The bug may lead to this rendering: (then there is a display of a rendering issue)

This is nowhere near the warning you mention so not sure where you saw that. I was expecting possible corrupt display - far cry from causing a BSOD. Author said known problem 10.7 only btw and that it would be fixed in 10.8 - no don't ask me where he gets that from.

I'm mostly a fan of his work, but this time round have to say I consider it poor judgment to have put in such a minor warning on the download page - not sure if that is author or geeks3d's fault.

Neil

6. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I have download it from another place, they have just add crash and freeze, on the warning surely cause peoples have report it .. anyway the problem remain the same, 10.7 cause troubleshoot with this bench.

7. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    If it says the bench won't work with 10.7 why complain about it. I've mentioned an alternative, use it.

8. nfigot

nfigot Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 480 x 2 (SLI)
    Wow - are you always this grumpy or just having a bad day? I hope your day got better after this because you obviously were way to stressed to have felt the need to post this.

Neil

9. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Sorry, didn't meant to be harsh.

10. nfigot

nfigot Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 480 x 2 (SLI)
    Accepted - me either... I was really just pointing out that the problem with the program should have warned the user better and I was trying to help others avoid potential BSODs.

I'd mess with it more but it isn't like it is a program worth fiddling with to make it work - especially since the author said the 10.8s fix whatever is causing the problem with the 10.7s and his program.

Neil

11. neo2006a

neo2006a Member

GPU:
    GTX670
    It's not working on 10.7a. Use newer 10.8beta (8.761). Tested.

12. nfigot

nfigot Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 480 x 2 (SLI)
    Yeah could do that but tbh - read somewhere that the normal "beta of the month version is due any day now for 10.8s. I'm betting they'll be newer than the 8.761 ones so I'm just going to hold off.

Neil

13. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Official ones will come out next week, and I'm most certain that they will be the same as 8.761 or worst. You'll see. With ATI I always have low expectations, and considering that new released drivers are always one month old I usually don't get wrong.