Tesla shuts down Model 3 production line for two weeks due to chip shortage

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did read that there was very cold in Texas. And now it looks like temperatures while not great are better on large portion of it.

And I did read that when it was worst, it has been ignored from above. I'd say, that this ignorance was costly.

3. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    It's time to purchase more Bitcoin dear Elon, as it looks like the car business is falling:cool:

4. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Read: So China, Taiwan and South Korea combined could (if they really wanted) slowdown most US companies.
    All they'd need to do is slow production of chips and semi-conductors for just about everything relying on electronic components.
    Let that sink in for a minute.
    Who needs to go on a battlefield.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    In here it is boosted by electric car +13%

More on topic nearly all taiwan semi conductor factories are stopped due to high temperature and lack of water right now :( and the situation will still some more)

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    How's that braindead promoting of crypto working out now, Elon ?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Wait if they're doing 14nm, why didn't they just use GloFo?

South Korea would be hurting their own economy if they did this. Taiwan could survive just fine but they would profit more helping US companies than they would hurt the country as a whole. Besides, as long as China doesn't reign control over them, appeasing the US is within their interest.
    If China were to produce enough 7/8nm wafers then yeah, they could (and probably would) do serious damage. Their government has largely moved to MIPS, so they have no dependency on Western-owned architectures.
    EDIT:
    Just realized, China would hurt their own economy too, since pretty much all motherboard and GPU manufacturers are Chinese, and largely depend on western-owned companies.

I don't see how that's relevant. Samsung has a contract to oblige, and Nvidia (the only company using Samsung making products appealing to miners) is on their 8nm node.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  8. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    i'M pretty sure he knows more what he is doing than some random dude on a website

9. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    It seems we as a society lean too heavily on the East for our Tech if the Chinese decided not to sell us anything or increased prices 200% what would we do?
    We are reaping what we sowed from many years of demanding ever cheaper products with ever bigger profits and now the poor people who we tasked with building stuff because they were poor and it was cheap are starting to call the shots, how long before we see mass production in the west because its cheaper?

carnivore and Saabjock like this.
  10. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    This was my point exactly from the above post.
    The current situation should highlight the fact that we have become way too dependent on outside manufacturing.
    The examples I used were not to suggest Taiwan or South Korea (both cordial to the US) would in anyway try any tactics against us.
    It is used to show who we depend on to keep things running.
    Lots of folks are of the opinion that since we consume a lot, we are the only game in town.
    India has a vast population...so too does Russia, Africa and a whole host of other countries.
    Many are in need of this equipment we've taken for granted...having owned many iterations of.
    Many of these nations now have the capital to purchase goods and services.
    While we are important, do not think for one second we are the only 'players' in this market.

11. Znicus

Znicus Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    :D:D:D you was defetated many times, China and Russia India and few other nations have secret pact about save humanity before american hegemony" want use actuall nuclear arsenall to "keep hegemony"...Lavrov actually talkabout this.. UN is against usa,
    Russian dooms day nuclear subrmarines with supersonic nucl, will hunt your usa generals to death! And chinese will mobilisation all own man to army ,, few hundred millions will make "nuclear glass " from whole usa
    How we fight? i will buy Huawei and run harmony os, to google death ))) adguard + everywhere
    Nowhere on Earth Will Be Safe From Russia's 5 Newest Weapons
    Skap :p

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Was not just in Texas. At one point last week, 75% of the US was under snow. In fact, in TN we got 5 inches in 4 hours. After already having 5 days of ice,sleet, and snow.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's not good. Especially when higher temperatures stop c19 in its tracks. Our govt. is in even bigger panic mode than I anticipated. And only thing that can stop c19 now is early summer.

= = = =
    @Znicus : While I like good conspiracy theory which can't be dismantled by evidence. I do not think we need fear/warmongering on G3D. Actually I think we do not need it anywhere else either. Fear increases tension. And who needs another cold war? We're already quite close from all those false accusations thrown by many nations left, right.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    They should get some chips from scalpers feel the pain of regular gaming folk

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There are issues here, that might take some time to untangle :p

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    We need a couple more giant chipmakers on the level of TSMC to stabilize things for the future. That goddamn Apple with their multi-billions $$ needs to establish their own fabs to take a load off the others.

carnivore, mohiuddin and PrMinisterGR like this.
  17. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    What is amusing about Tesla is that the Tesla fanboys always said that

1. Tesla were disruptive.
    2. Tesla had vertical integration

Looks like vertical integration can only take you so far when you have to buy chips outside that and then get stuck. Battery wise they have inbuilt cells with Panasonic but now having to go on the open market to Chinese companies also ...

They are like the pigs on animal farm turning into humans.