Tesla Finally Unveils $35,000 Standard Model 3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2019.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm sure once they cover the expenses of their "Gigafactory", prices will drop. I'm sure that building was crazy expensive to make, but, powering all of the manufacturing robots and charging up the batteries there all through solar power will likely pay for itself in a matter of years. If they had to outsource their electricity, I'm sure their electric bill would be absurdly high, and they'd likely have all of the EV-haters come out and say how hypocritical they are for depending on fossil fuels.

I was thinking the exact same thing. But from what I heard, the only common complaint people have about them are build quality issues. Nobody seems to complain about how they perform, handle, or feel (probably because the novelty of silent and instant torque is too distracting).

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yeah yeah, they've been predicting this for 10 years now along with space x. At this point the prediction is a meme.

3. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    Well you can return it with 7 days for a full refund if you don't like it. But I think most people who buy a Tesla know what they're getting.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Prediction: I, if still alive, will remember Tesla as pioneering company. And if they are gone by then will not change a thing about it. :D

reix2x likes this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    good grief....didn't you know the boss wants to do a review on the model s ....?

[​IMG]
    extensive review...2 weeks of testing!
    :p

6. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Imaginary problems? In 2018 alone, illegal aliens committed 80,730 DUI's, 76,585 drug arrests, 50,753 assaults, 20,052 cases of larceny, 15,909 cases of obstructing police, 6,888 sex offenses, 5,562 robberies, 12,663 burglaries, 5,561 robberies, 5,300 sexual assaults, and 2,028 homicides.
    What amazes me is you're worried about carbon dioxide while laughing at every two years Illegals murder more people than died on 9/11. What also amazes me is people seeem to be OK with taxpayers giving huge subsidies so rich people can buy electric cars to impress their friends.

Brasky and airbud7 like this.
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    We gave subsidies to inspire a movement in technology that couldn't have occured naturally due to industry entrenchment. I don't think everyone owning a Tesla will save the earth but its definitely pushing in the right direction.

Also the effects of climate change can potentially affect millions of people. The numbers you're tossing up for illegal crimes (which are basically equivalent to natural born crime rate) are a joke in the face of what climatologists say is coming. So unless you argue that those numbers are inflated or global warming is a myth, comparing it to 2k convicted homicides is a bit of a joke. Especially when that rate of homicide occurs across the entire population of the country. You'd be better off spending the $75B on cancer research which kills 8.5M people a year if you're arguing just pure $/life saved.

fantaskarsef, yasamoka, alanm and 2 others like this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It's easy to make something sound far more severe than it really is when you don't paint the whole picture. It's not uncommon for a single person to be charged for multiple serious crimes. It's also not uncommon for a single person to perform the same crime multiple times.
    So, let's consider the most unrealistically worst-case scenario possible, where each of those crimes were accounted for by a separate person. That would be account for approximately 200k criminals. There are an estimated ~1 million or so undocumented immigrants in the US. So that means 1/5 of all undocumented immigrants are causing major problems. Although that's not a small number, remember, this is an astronomically inflated estimation, and it's still a minority. Meanwhile, compare those numbers to the number of crimes performed by legal citizens, and suddenly, the proportion of crimes performed by illegals is a relative non-issue (and no, I'm not saying it isn't an issue, I'm just saying we've got much bigger problems to worry about).

So yes, the future of climate change is a greater issue.

9. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Vapour X
    If you do a bit of research you'll probably find that those figures are at worst almost directly comparable to the US average rate and at best a small fraction of the US average rate.
    Depending on what population figures you use

10. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    I'm dumb for getting suckered into this off topic clusterfuck.

go Tesla!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm not sure I understand the logic of this. Whether they're legal or not has nothing to do with whether they'll commit crimes. If they're criminally inclined but first become a legal citizen, that basically nullifies your point. Sure, preventing illegals from entering will do something, but my point is being an illegal immigrant in and of itself isn't the problem, so preventing that isn't going to make a big difference.

You can think of it like the Windows UAC. Not only does it not guarantee to keep malicious software at bay, but all the software has to do is ask you permission (where most people just click "yes") where it gets to wreak havoc anyway.

Yogi likes this.
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    This is way off topic so this will be my last post on it.

The US does actively keep illegals out to the point where the total illegal population in the US has stabilized and by some studies has decreased. The problem is the cost of keeping the rest of them out increases exponentially. The majority of illegal immigrants come into the country legally. Simply building a wall won't keep those people out because they either boat/drive/fly in on "vacation" and just vanish amongst the population. Recent studies show all the drugs come in and are distributed around these ports of entry as well. Almost nothing is found randomly in the middle of the desert/uninhibited areas.

The wall itself will cost metric tons of money - the $75B that's often quoted will probably be doubled once all the land owners just lock the government in litigation forever because no one wants their crap eminent domained for a fraction of the actual cost. That's not to mention you can't quote me a single federal project that has come even close to the projected budget.

The best way to combat illegal immigration is give them an easy way to become immigrants. Use modern technology at the border crossing and ports and that's it. The problem is literally diminishing each year even with the the current level of security. It's a waste of money to spend more.

It's like PC graphics, you can take an art asset and make it a billion polygons and blow your poly budget on a single character so it looks perfect. Or you can spend 100,000 on it.. it looks 99.99% of the final result and you can spend the performance elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    HandR, Yogi and schmidtbag like this.
  13. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Not to mention the fact that building a wall could have untold environmental consequences, though I suppose most people who support its construction don't even believe there IS an environment to damage. The concept is too abstract for them, I guess.

If I were to buy a new car it would definitely be electric, and preferably made outside the U.S. since auto manufacturers there have shown time and again that they don't know how to build a good vehicle. I'd go with something from Japan or Germany.

14. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
    But can it run Crysis?

tensai28 and airbud7 like this.
  15. alpha2beta

alpha2beta Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    How is this worthy of Guru3d news?

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    It checks all the boxes on the world renown, published, Guru3D news guideline.

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    That sir is a good one, one of the better laughs I've had today. Ask where they get the cobalt from for their batteries and then ask how bad it is not only for the miners but the environment in general and then you'll see that saving the environment is not exactly the highest thing on their agenda but claiming it is is.

Now for something a bit different, a car built buy guys who know how to build cars

and if you want to see just how bad Tesla can be watch this

This is the first of a three parter

2 to 3 months to deliver a used car and in one of the episodes the guys mother comes out with a true winner of a line . 'The guy wants to send people in to space and he can't even deliver you a car.'

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Most of the toxic waste in cobalt production can be contained and disposed of safely; whether or not that is actually done is a different story. But the real environmental problem at hand is reducing greenhouse gases. Toxic sludge in a contained area isn't going to cause a long-term global issue. That's not to say it isn't something we can't take seriously, but the point is it's not a threat to the climate.
    There's a big difference accomplishing something difficult vs struggling to keep with S&D...

yasamoka likes this.
  19. Michal Turlik 21

Michal Turlik 21 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080Ti
    Manco se me la regalano.
    I won t take one of those craps even if they will give it to me for free.
    Electric cars are mere toys and they are also expensive.

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    How did this CAR thread degrade into racist BS about illegals committing crimes? But since you went there...

I mean, sure,they're humans and some humans suck and do bad stuff. I've seen the numbers. Illegals commit LESS crimes than legal Americans. Most want to fly under the radar.

Is it an issue? Sure. Is it the biggest issue in the Nation and we should stop bothering with everything else? (IE - pick on EV subsidies meant to get America off of fossil fuels) Only if you respond to dog whistles. Meanwhile, after this mess is over with, the adults will have to come in and clean up the mess that's been left. Been there, done that.... but America keeps forgetting. Scare tactics work on the uneducated. Just play to the base fears and all the previous ineptitude and graft gets over looked.

Getting to be like a broken record.

On a side note, Illegal crossings are at historic lows right now. Wanna fix it. Use E-verify. Problem solved. Otherwise, who even cares what these people with their dog whistles are saying?