1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Autopilot gets its first speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Haha, ahem. Extensive 16 minute test drive of the new Autopilot software version 7 from Tesla. They even got pulled over by the FHP, Florida Highway Patrol because the autopilot was speeding, 75MPH i...

Tesla Autopilot gets its first speeding ticket

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    the speeding ticket wasn't filmed, or, at least, wasn't shown. :(

3. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    12:43 he explains why.

4. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I believe when the Tesla Auto-Pilot is released, they should be responsible for speeding tickets or traffic violations fines. If you think about it makes sense.

And possible even(hopefully would be none) accidents. :D

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Nah, ultimately the driver is responsible as they should take manual control if they see a violation or something. Putting the responsibility on the manufacturer would open up all kinds of weird legal issues.

Anyway, is this system powered by Nvidia's Drive PX? I know they use Nvidia for the entertainment cluster and traffic avoidance/auto braking but I don't think they've ever came out and said who is behind the auto-pilot.

6. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Auto-pilot (for cars) and self-driving cars are 2 most awful ideas car industry came up with (well, after deciding to burn the hell lots of oil).

There are issues even with modern flight autopilots... we have only 10000-15000 flights in the air (at the same time) in the whole world, and still we get incidents.
    And now we have 1.2 billion cars in the world... all of them on the ground. At the same time. Now do the math.

I do not believe, that until humanity comes up with real AI, any car autopilot can be made safe enough.
    Once the number of such cars starts to grow, deaths will follow.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It's a terrible idea as long as there are other cars on the road that do not have the same tech. If the cars in auto-pilot can't talk to each other and know what the other is going to do its going to be a disaster.
    Of course that will never happen either because each company will have their own proprietary software.

8. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I fail to understand how a self-driving car is a terrible idea if there are human drivers around it. At worst it would be about the same as a human; I can't fathom how it's worse, someone explain this garbage.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Planes can't stop.

How many aviation fatalities are caused each year directly by auto-pilot failure? How many lives were saved indirectly due to pilot error that never occurred?

Will deaths in car autopilot systems occur? Maybe, probably. Will the number of deaths be less than human error? Definitely. is it morally acceptable that the computer will eventually fail resulting in death, but overall car safety is higher? I think it is.

Google has what, 1,000,000 self driving miles on their Lexus fleet, with only 14 accidents, none of the fault of the system. That seems pretty good.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW

So what you're saying is that it's not even one in a million?

That's better than Luke Skywalker...

11. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    I'd be willing to be that any self driving car will have to be able to talk to each other if they want to get these things en mass onto any road, the talking to each other thing is pretty much the idea which makes these cars safer than humans.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Why?

A computer can make a better decision faster than a human can. Why does it need to talk to another car to make it safer than a human?

I mean obviously having them talk would make them even more safe, but it isn't a requirement.

13. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    If you need to stop, or swerve to avoid, a computer will know instantly which is better, human drivers or not. It can check every spot, including every blind spot, and find the best direction to take the car. And it can do it basically instantly.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Really? Self-driving cars would be programmed to follow the rules and not drive like jackass's. If they were all networked together and all drove at the same speed, used their blinkers to change lanes, etc... everyone would get to their destination a lot quicker and safer. Instead, these cars would be in reactive mode the majority of the time because 99% of drivers are asshats that don't know how to drive.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Again, yeah, obviously if the cars were networked and communicated it would speed everything up. But in the worst case scenario the computer controlled car will be just as good as a human. You say it would be reactive, but all those reactions to asshat drivers will be done far faster and to a better degree of accuracy than a human driver, which in turn makes the car safer.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    If I get a self-driving car will it take me home from the pub? Will I get a dui if I'm in the back seat?

17. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+

Thank you, it's refreshing to see people who actually understand technology. A lot of people are overestimating the capability of self driven cars because of their lack of understanding of how such a thing works, the same kind of people that pretend like siri is anything impressive.

People like:
    ... Google has 25 cars that drove as much as a truck driver but in a very limited fashion, if you give it any obstacle it will simply stop.

18. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    When people understand current limits of Google self driving cars, it doesn't sound so impressive.

19. fry178

fry178 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    so audi can race driverless cars on the track and up Pike Peak (with times closs to that of a human), and tesla cant even keep the same speed..

lol for someone who wants to do spaceflight.
    "oh, yeah we missed the moon. welcome to..."

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Until a system failure or something even worse hits the soft/hardware.
    Ever tried to sit in a car where the cruise control went havoc and started to speed up by itself?
    Pretty interesting experience when it happen on a small mountain road where you have drops to sea level directly next to the road.
    While the idea is pretty nice, I wouldn't put to much trust into human made technology.