Terrorists attack in Mumbai, hold Westerners hostage

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by darknight909, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    The only problem I see here is that far too many people see 'extremeism' as a byproduct of religion or a specific religion, yet violence is so prevelent in any society having nothing to do with religion. People are violent and may look for whatever reason to justify their actions.

I know plenty of religious extremist here in the midwest, but the difference of religion is not why one group halway around the world is violent and the ones here are not. It has to do with culture.

That is why so many religious threads get closed because most people are unable to seperate culture from religion. Where one person is basically complaining about X, which is really a byproduct of cultural differences (even if foundation may be in a religion), their unfamiliarity with that culture and/or religion results in them miss-attributing X with religion. Talking about religion is one of those things that will bring out very heated debates/arguments/discussions as that goes to the very core values many people hold. It is like the piracy thing, except piracy is directly related to technology and this is a technology forum not a religious or political forum.

Rarely in here do you have people having educated dicussions or debates on such issues, as like you would have in a university setting. It's a tech forum, not a state run university, most people aren't posting here to learn, its more. [insert post with my opinion] Some of us would like to have an educated discussion/debate on the issues (as people from all over the world can participate which widens and gives more perspective), but most people posting would fit in the [insert post] catagory (IMO).

I was under the impression that Islam was a bit different from country to country (based on culture), which I will get into below.

I would agree as that was one of the points I was trying to make earlier.
    I am not quite understanding what catch 22 you are referring to, could you exptrapolate?
    Most of what I know from Islam as far as structure just comes from me reading about Shia vs Shiite and speaking people in one of my religion and conflict classes (and from what I learned in that class). I am sure there are varying structures used in different sects, I was just under the impression from talking with Muslims in the US, that at least here, it was rather less structured I will have to do some more research to find out what the truth is.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Wasn't this thread about the attacks in Mumbai! Don't know why this thread has to turn in to a debate about, well all of that posted above?

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I believe it is because someone is trying to understand why this is occuring in Mumbai, since some 'Islamic group' has claimed responsibliity (though that doesn't mean they did it) that is why talking about Islam is relevant.

To be back on topic however, I do find it interesting the Government took so long to order special forces to respond. I mean, I understand waiting until they figure out what is going on, but soon as something happened the commandos should have been set on ready, just waiting for go ahead from the government. From what the news is reporting the commandos weren't even told to get preped until 9 hours later.

4. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Im hoping that last censored word doesnt say what i think it says... but the S at the end just about says it all. :ban:

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i hate when the news reports about commando's going in before they go in.
    hey guys were coming... wth?

so you guys think that its the same Religous nut cases that were taking the ships,and this is retaliation?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  6. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    These attacks are just terrible, its just so sad how many people have died. All innocent people, on holiday, wanting to enjoy there time.

What is this world coming too?

7. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Thanks for the in depth answers.I suppose my question sounds somewhat loaded,but I really am trying to find the truth about what the 'regular Joe' Muslim thinks about this,and if attitudes differ between the USA, and European Muslims.As for why I don't just ask one-well, I just did.
    Also,I do try to maintain a realistic frame of mind.I don't blame any one group for the actions of radicals, but I have to admit it irritates me the leaders don't speak out.I'm not sure I'd call this bigotry of any real sort,only frustration.
    I'm of European ancestry as well,and if a world wide terror campaign was being waged by a group in the name of Polish Catholics, I'm confident The Pope, in the name of the church would condemn these actions,and (most) Polish people would object publicly too.
    All that said, I just wanted to know how my English friends feel about the whole thing.

8. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I agree with you, reporters are terrorists :p

9. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    What ? Eh so are terrorist lovely little people just trying to get on in life. and you can think what the hell you want to think you little doo gooder, quickly rally some pop stars together and have a sell out tour and get the word ****s banned because it offends terrorists, but ffs dont mention that they are mass murderers hell bent on turning the UK and US into islamic states because that might offend them aswell.

No go away you you silly sod.

10. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    and the word i used was C**ts not Nazis.

11. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    *EDIT* - Gonna stay off the religion based talk in the pub...*

Right now I really hate whats going on in India, but I also really feel sorry for Pakistan because you now have militants from al qaeda who are very well organised setting up in the country, and Pakistan has Indian pressure on one side, is used by the US as a bargaining chip and has afghani rebels falling into there country on the other side. The majority of people there are just like avg joe everywhere else in the world (especially in areas like Karachi, which is just one example).

This coupled with the **** economy andd all the other problems, the next decade maybe tough times ahead. It's almost like the Thatcher days again....

Statements like this are all well and good, but unless you can come up with an effective way to counter highly organised terrorist cells like these I'm all ears... What is it you suggest we do. Weve been to Afghanistan and Iraq and frankly it's changed fudge all (I have many close freinds in the Army, 1 of whom died in Iraq, so i mean It's not like i don't support our troops)...

Now this I agree with completely.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  12. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    The only solutions(I can think of) to the problem include some form colonialism..

So then again maybe we just arent comfy with the actual reality of solving the problem and we'll keep deflecting with private wars, food programs, cultural "Communication" and what not.

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
  14. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Hmmm i can see that your quite emotionally upset about terrorists and what happened in India.

Everyone let me make this clear! please consider coverts feelings as he has shown that he gets very very upset by crying infront of his computer and reducing him self to using abusive language over forums

Would you like hug? :flip2:

15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I had enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.