Terrorists attack in Mumbai, hold Westerners hostage

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by darknight909, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    pretty scary ****, i have a friend who was staying right there at the taj mahal hotel 2 or 3 days back.

scary **** = whole of city still under siege on it's second night and Special forces still not being able to bring it under their control

2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Lol yes because Malta hasn't had major terrorist attacks proves me wrong ? What a joke (if your really serious, can't tell the "in your face" threw me off).
    Malta is a very small country, even so there has been exercises to prepare for terrorist attacks.
    travel.state.gov: Malta

Denmark has not have any actual attacks either but there has been planning which was stopped. It doesn't disprove anything, i would call it the exception which proves the rule if anything. Do you even know how many countries there are in the world ? If all but non had terrorists attacks i would be pretty shocked.

3. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Malta has less population then my hometown ..... I mean we didnt get any terrorist activity either XD

4. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I thought u were referring to home grown terrorism.

Well anyways that egypt air thing was pretty bad, sad story.

The in your face really got to you... lol

Small countries kick ass.

5. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Nice man. I own a flat in Goa it's really nice actually. Has a massive portugese influence though so it gives you something different

As for nerves of steel yeah it really depends where you go. When your traveling on the back of a cousins crappy motorbike with him not even watching the crazy traffic but instead talking to you it gets pretty crazy.

As for the not wanting to go to India comment I think that is fair enough. India is not for everyone for sure. It's the kind of place people either love or hate. If you can't put up with the people, heat, chaos, then you wouldnt enjoy it. It's more a place for people that want to see a place rich in culture and full of chaos that is mostly good natured. It's a place where you can see real poverty and wealth in one day. Made me appreciate what I have more. As for the safety India is v safe imo considering the poverty. I must admit though I would not live in India, but as a visit loved it.

You know this first hand? I thought you had never been there..

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  6. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    its a shame that the entire world has been going to the **** for fookin` decades and its only now when the people that need to know are startin` to notice it!!!......death sucks...war sucks..... give everyone a pc and lets sort it out on bf2!! c`mon ya cu***!!!!

fight for ur rights guys, but dinny bring innocent folk into it, thats a cheap shot!

7. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    Our goverments need to stop lying down and acting like pusses incase they offend someone and show these terrorist that we arent to be messed with. im sick of reading it in newspapers, im sick of hearing it on the news infact im sick of my dad telling me how **** the UK is now cos of theses ****s.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yep agreed +1 apart fm the nuking bit

9. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300

lol, that was me getting annoyed while i was typing, ill remove that i think.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes Yes!! LET'S NUKE THEM ALL!! Which country shall we start with first?? ..... Mwaaahhhahahahah..........:rolleyes:

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Please close this thread. Racism will not be tolerated.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    euh ?!?

13. TooRiski

TooRiski Banned

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 @ 820/1100
    yes lets nuke the whole world, starting with the people who smell and look ugly and are weak weak. ever heard of Hitler?

14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    thats a big no no !!!

15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    ^^ I hope TooRiski was just being sarcastic, at least that's how i read it. There have been such misunderstanding already in this thread.

This thread is just heading south fast.

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I know a good deal about Islam more than a lay person, but I am far from an expert. With that stated, from what I am aware of, I would hypothosize this.

In some more radical sects of Islam, one of the worst crimes a person can do is to turn away from Islam. It is one thing to be a "heathen", aka someone who doesn't participate in religious practices of Islam or believe in the "Islam god", but it is far worse to be a Muslim then renouce your belief/faith. Such as conversion to Christianity/Judism/Zorioastronism/etc or going agnostic/atheist. Such a 'sin' is one that makes a person 'killable on the spot' in a sense. In their eyes it may be bad for someone to be ignorant to 'allah', it is a whole other thing to turn your back. It would be considered one of the ultimate 'sins', or so to speak.

Now, while it may seem this has nothing to do with your question, but bare with me for a moment. If you are from the US, perhaps you are familiar with the term (from the book) an "Uncle Tom". In short it is someone belonging to a group who turns on their own group in colusion with those who stand agaisnt them.

For the Muslim community it may be seen that if you are to denouce violent acts that radicals feel justified in doing, it opens them up to retailiation. A such radical may consider such condemation to be something similar to what I described above. While a person in the west may or may not be in such threat, it does not mean that they don't have family in other countries that can be 'got at'. This hypothesis could explain some of why the 'muslim community doesn't speak out on x attack', at least why an individual may not say anything 'publically'. I believe a stronger answer may be in logitics.

Islam, to my understanding, has much less athority structure and organization to the religion than Christian and Jewish counter-parts. They may have a few leaders, but these would not have equivlent national / prominate leaders that other religions have. This is also compounded that most 'leaders' are considers spokes person anyways. Where in Christianity there are religious groups and churches that have an 'official' way that they believe, etc, in Islam religion is a much more personal experience than in Christianity.

For example, for me looking at a functional view of religion and more specifically Islam, it was 'designed' to address the corrupt nature of the established church and authority figures. That the religion focus on just the person and their worship of their god. No inbetween middleman. Any person trying to be a 'spokes person' for all muslims could be seen as someone speaking out of place, as they should only speak for themselves.

Because of all this, there is not a national platform for muslim 'leaders' to stand ready at a moment of some occurance to issue press statements of condemation. And this leads me to my final point.

Just about every non-radical religion, including Islam, is fundementally against violence. Why do you have to issue a statement of condemnation of specific violent acts when you oppose all of them? Besides redundant, such 'selection' of what you condemn could be considered taking sides in a political situation.

In summary, there are many reasons why you don't see these 'big condemnations' from 'muslim leaders'. Regardless of what some 'leader' says about it, why don't you simply talk to someone muslim and ask them about it. I'm pretty sure if you talk to one in any western culture (and you aren't seemingly hostile to them) they will explain to you that they don't like any violent acts, just like the rest of society. Your 'point' you seem to make is that if someone is not with an instant or continuous condemnation of someone who they don't know, never met, live thousands of miles away, but have something in common with then they must be supporting them - well, thats rather BS.

I am of 'european' ancentry, so every time some white guy kills someone somewhere in the world, I am expected to have some leader of mine condemn it or else I am in support of it? Or I am some how responsible because we have something similar? I believe your expectations are irrealistic and while you may not be predjudice or bias (you didn't seem to indicate anything other than ask a question), but that 'train of thought' has been used to justify biggotry and prejudice against the muslim community.

17. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    ^^I understand some of what your saying and partially agree, although not completely. I personally think it is important that our community makes it clear in western countries the stance we take on extremism. This is because we are not native (In England for me) and thus not everyone is going to understand the Islamic community unlike christianity which has been v strong in the west for a long time. Consequently people fear what they don't understand, so to brake down these cultural barriers we should be clear that we do not condone extremist actions to give everyone peace of mind. Segregation and missunderstanding one anothers cultures is what leads to real social problems in the world. ,,,

On the other hand though a counter argument would be that if every muslim in the west had to condemn terrorist actions, it could be seen that they are apologising for it, when in fact they have nothing to apologise for because they have nothing to do with it. For the more harcore muslim of faith your claim that it could be seen as them turning away from there religion is understandable. You can see the catch 22....

This is actually inaccurate and may only apply to some sects. Some Islamic sects are actually very well structured and have figure heads just like christianity and Judaism. An example is my family are part of the Bohra islamic community, mainly originating from what is now gujerat in India. They have a figurehead (Maulana) and you will find a photo of him in pretty much every bohra community house you go in. He is pretty much a figurehead and your equivelant of the christian pope. I am not sure about other sects of Islam at all though, since they are very different (much like catholics and methodists, church of England etc). To be honest Christianity, Judaism and Islam are VERY similar religions. The prophets cross over and most of the fundemental beliefs are the same. The only difference is the book they read.

18. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Before this gets closed I want to offer condolences to the families of those killed/injured.

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'll get a bit more in before that as well!

Look, lets not mince words here these people are murderers, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately for us what has happened is that the word 'terrorism' and 'terrorist' has been demonised in the mass media and by our respective Governments. It has taken on a persona all of its own.

The sophisticated nature of some these Criminal gangs requires specific legislation to help combat them, of that I am convinced. However, in the ideal of protecting our nations, our Governments have been overzealous in their approach to how to combat this problem. This problem has been used as a vote winner!

These people should have never been given a label, other than what they are. They are criminals, and where ever possible they should be prosecuted using ordinary criminal legislation.

We need to get away from giving them the platform that they want. An attack should be reported but that is it. Lengthy debates on TV that give these people a platform for their views is wrong imo. it is difficult to envisage a single attack that could damage the infrastructure of any nation and yet these people are a threat to national security! What does that actually mean? They are NOT a threat to national security only another nation could be a threat to another nations national security.

Lets remember compared to ordinary decent people they are a very, VERY small number of criminal gangs plotting to kill innocent people. The chance of being subject to an attack is minuscule, when compared to the chance of being killed in a car crash.

Yes it involves Religion, which is always emotive but most killers are motivated by something!

20. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Guys, you are walking a very thin line here. For now I'm keeping this thread open, but usually all religious threads/discussions are closed immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.