Terror of the 3TB drive

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by OmniShift, Jan 21, 2014.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    I have been fighting with my new 3TB Seagate drive since last night. (on an entirely new PC build)

--It's listed properly in the bios.
    --My motherboard supports this size
    --I've never seen the drive at all within windows. (using Disk Manager, Seagate Tools, etc) I don't get the 746GB partition folks talk about with these drives nor the 2.1GB variant. I get nothing.

--win 7 64bit (w SP1) is freshly installed to a new 120gb SSD (the 3TB is for storage)

Going to see if I can find my disk with gParted (or redownload) and hope that gets me going.

2. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    Does the disk appear in BIOS or also the partition? You may need to remove the partition entirely and make a new 1.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    I've yet to create a partition as I've never been given the option to (I didn't even see the drive when installing win7).

In the bios it's simply listed as " ..3000...... " I forget the actual name in bios (inserted periods) but there's a 3000 in it, indicating to me it's my 3000GB drive.

I can't find my blank CDs so I'm hoping I can boot gParted off of a thumb drive.

4. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
  6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    I'll try that MS link when I restart my new PC (the 3TB issue rig).

Meanwhile, gParted gave me an error:

(I've been trying to paste a pic of it to photobucket for 10 minutes.... this just isn't my day)

It says

My Kingston SSD (connected to sata port 0) is listed as sda1 & sda2 so I presume sdb is my 3TB drive (sata port 1)

Something wrong with my drive perhaps?

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    So I opened a terminal in gParted and ran a command (sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb) to get the SMART info off that drive.

It reported back all the drive info (make/model, capable of SMART, etc) then is summary, it says:

Is it possible a loose connection or bad sata cable could do this as well as a bad drive? I'll soon find out...