Terrible experience with 7870 CF

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by llathander, Jan 6, 2013.

1. llathander

llathander New Member

GPU:
    XFX R7870
    Today I bought a second 7870.

Once I got it installed, removed drivers and reinstalled, I started testing.

Skyrim (tons of textures and graphical enhancements installed)
    Age of Conan
    Borderlands 2

I tried drivers:
    12.11beta

all with the same result.

Skyrim -- exactly the same performance whether or not CF was active (Both with and without CAP)

Age of Conan -- Dramatic reduction in performance with CF enabled, even with the CAP. ~50% loss in framerate.

Borderlands 2 - *see skyrim

This is all taking into effect that I double and triple checked all the connections, looked into gpu-z which reported both as active and at 8x/8x, and removing drivers/doing proper resets.

So I am totally stumped -- I had great experiences with 3870CF and 4870CF, Im probably going to end up returning it at this rate, but I thought Id check to see if anyone has any ideas regarding this seemingly common problem.

Windows 7 64
    AMD FX-8120 @ 4ghz
    XFX R7870
    MSI 7870
    8GB Corsair vindicator (or vengeance?) ~1633
    Asus M5A99X EVO

Thanks in advance!

2. llathander

llathander New Member

GPU:
    XFX R7870
    Just a small update, hoping someone can help me out.

I went out on a limb here after spending several hours trying to understand the reason for this nonsense and tried a much suggested tactic.

I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, uninstalled again checking the "delete drivers option", rebooted in safe mode, used driver sweeper.

I was surprised to see a ton of ati files were still on my HDD, I got rid of them.

I then rebooted, with both cards in, installed drivers, rebooted-- installed application profiles, rebooted... tried the same games, to the same result.

At this point I can honestly say that this setup is demonstrably bad.

I dont know what else to do.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Board have 3 PCIe 2.0 slots x16 size.
    Blue only = x16 mode
    Blue + white = x8 + x8 = no different than x16 on your cards

Black slot is in x4 mode, so if you have one card in Black slot then its x16 + x4 config and that may be bad.

Latest main board BIOS is "Version 1604" from 24.10.2012. Most of updates state that they are for Increased Stability/compatibility.
    It may be bit problematic board, so be sure to have latest BIOS.

4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Don't know about your other games, but isn't Skyrim capped at 60FPS!? A single 7870 should handle Skyrim at 1080p Maxed out.

One of my 6950's handles Skyrim on its own really well, see around 55-60FPS most of the time, when I enable CF it get a bit of stutter

5. llathander

llathander New Member

GPU:
    XFX R7870
    It is true that it is capped, and also that my 7870 by it self will run vanilla skyrim.

I however, have a ton of texture packs installed at 4-8x the original resolutions, so I have taken a performance hit. I have read on tons of threads that skyrim is simply not compatible with multi-gpu setups, but have also seen screenies of people getting tons more performance out of multi-gpus. <---in skyrim even

If it doesnt support it, thats fine-- my biggest concern was with the dramatic performance hit in AoC.

I suppose it doesnt really matter as I have just returned the card.

Also, to the person mentioning my board, I tried both 8/8 and 16/4, same results.

I figure ill wait a month and get a 7970 instead, Id rather have a single card that works all the time than two that only work some of the time and perform terrible some of the time.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    You should have gotten nvidia if skyrim is your main prerogative. crossfire has issues with skyrim.

7. VenoMaizeR

VenoMaizeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX480OC 8gb
    Crossfire at moment is very bad, you find problems after problems. I have 2 6850s sitting in the dust because of that...so sad..:flame: