temps?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by jmv, Mar 16, 2010.

1. jmv

jmv Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5850 Black Edition
    Alright, system specs are on the left, using a Noctua NH-C12p SE14 CPU cooler, in a coolermaster CM690II case (all stock fans for right now).

On stock clocks, I'm getting 30C idle (using Cool n' Quiet) and ~48C full, at 3.7ghz i got to 52C after 4 minutes of Prime95 and went ahead and stopped it. These temps seem to high for me, I know its not the best cooler in the world but from what I've read it should be keeping me cooler than this.

The heatsink is barely warm even on the heatpipes while running prime95 and getting that 52C reading. Might this mean that theres an issue with the thermal paste?? I used the paste supplied by Noctua, although I really don't know if I used enough/too much/too little of it. I also have some Artic Silver 5 somewhere if that might work better.

What do you guys think??

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Far as i know if its under 60c then your fine.

3. BlueIce1

BlueIce1 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X OC
  4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    how is the ventilation in and out of your case?

no point in complaining about the cooler if theres barely any airflow in your case.

5. jmv

jmv Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5850 Black Edition
    Yeah i think that may be the problem.

The case came with a 14cm intake fan on the front, a 14cm exhaust fan on the top, and a 12cm exhaust fan on the back... however, the fans don't seem to move much air at all, perhaps just because of the rpm, maybe also because of the dust screens on them. I've got a 14cm noctua fan coming tomorrow that I'm going to set up blowing on the graphics card, and I'll probably put a 12cm from my old thermaltake in as well, probably as an intake on the bottom of the case.

Additionally, i think my ambient temps are not helping me out. Maybe its just because of the computer in the room, but when i walk out of my room into the hallway, it does get significantly cooler. I need to figure out how to measure the temp in here.

6. jmv

jmv Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5850 Black Edition
    Well... I put in a noctua 14cm on the side, blowing onto the graphics card, and a thermaltake 12cm on the bottom, as an intake...

and my temps are about the same as before those two fans, which is disappointing. After a long gaming session, hardware monitor pro is showing max temps of 47 for the CPU (at stock 3.4 ghz), and max temps of 72.5 for the GPU.

Shouldn't adding two fans make a difference?? Or is it maybe that the difference didn't show up because I didn't increase the number of exhaust fans as well?? I dunno if i can keep spending money on fans when they're not making any difference in temps, but I'd like to try adding another exhaust to the top, what do you guys think??

7. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    Your temps seem fine, and are well within the specs of the chip.

8. jmv

jmv Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5850 Black Edition
    Thats good. Its still disappointing that I added two fans, and made my box noisier, without any real decrease in max temps. I think it does cool down quicker though.

May I inquire what your temps are with your 965 @ 3.8, and what cooling you're using?