1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperature reading error (also solved it)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Quietman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Quietman

Quietman New Member

GPU:
    HD7870XT
    Actually kind of funny after I figured it out :)

Was playing Skyrim las night and left Afterburner window open on my 2nd monitor.
    Looked over and according to the screen my GPU temps were over 170 Degrees! :eek: Started to panic, then realized, DUHH, I'd be having serious problems way before that temperature, so calmed down and started checking.
    There was no artifacting, stutters in play, or any other issues that go with high temperatures.

Then I saw, that although the graph is 0-100, the actual reading above the display was showing units in Deg F. My card is a hot runner to begin with as it's a 7870 XT, so 75-82 C is normal under heavy load, but 173 is just a wee bit abnormal o_O:D So set units back to deg C and all is well.

I'd installed the latest AMD drivers and Aftterburner 4.4.2 / RTSS on the same day, but can't remember the order. So apparently something changed the units in AB on me without me knowing it.

So if anyone else gets ungodly temps after installation, just set your units back to Deg C ;)