Television Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by stereoman, Apr 6, 2019.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    The main thing bothering me with the Halo serie is that the whole part with the sidekick girl from a mining planet or whatever is boring me.

Finished Severance the other day, i loved it !
    Moon Knight completed, overall there's a lot of great stuff in this serie but somehow i didn't feel as emotionaly invested as i have been in Severance, or even the last two episode of Halo.

Star Trek Picard
    is a bit of a mixed bag for me, overall season 2 feels better than the first one, i like that we dive deeper into Picard origin story, but those flashback in the middle of action sequences make it absurd.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    7th episode of halo was absolutely terrible..... it was like watching an anime filler episode where it has nothing to do with anything.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Ah crud. That is depressing to hear. When the brute showed up with the gravity hammer and flung MC across map, thought the series finally started to show some metal.
    Will sit through it though. Can just see Kai and MC getting it on since Kai is completely infatuated with MC's cheeks...

Sidekick girl, yea do not know what to think about her. That covenant chick, not a single marine fired a single shot at her. She just strolled onto the ship without a care in the universe. She is a wild card since no human ever lived or sided with the covenant. Somehow think there will be a showdown between Kai and her out of jealousy.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I knew Joe would hate episode 7 haha.. wonder if CBS will use copyright again to remove this review, seems they do with every negative review.

XenthorX likes this.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    @KissSh0t No surprise and got to agree tbh. The show is about Halo, Master Chief, Cortana and what not, the entire episode was about kwan destiny.. wth.

Somehow, i'm sure the whole show could have been edited in a better way. Spreading a bit of Kwan plot over multiple episode instead of doing a full episode on her.

I don't like the editing of this show clearly, but there's good stuff in there..!

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yep...

Second re-upload... lol at cbs, it gets so butthurt..

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The episode was not that bad. Kwan may have been the focus but Soren is more of the story than credited for.

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    @Clouseau i do like Soren, no doubt. But a whole episode without master chief is a bit much.
    The fact Kwan has a unique and special destiny comes out of nowhere, after a 5minutes setup during the same episode.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Kwan is a definite series killer. The whole angry at the world, disillusioned teenager has been done to death. Hopefully with her main antagonist burned to ashes her story can vanish. The only saving grace in her arch is Soren. He at least breathes life into it.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is Johnson going to be in the series?

If they have the scene where Johnson escapes the flood I might......................... lose my mind hahaha.

The way it's depicted by Tsutomu Nihei in The Halo Graphic Novel is so cool, if any of you are into manga check out "Blame!" and "Biomega" by him, highly recommend those two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    I want to see the Flood. Was all hyped when the Brute with the gravity hammer showed up. We got a partial glimpse of a Hunter with the worms they consist of (still cannot comprehend why not a single marine hit that girl when she casually strolled onto their ship).

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Main character plot armor, it renders characters impervious to damage.

XenthorX likes this.
  13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Dang these psychotropic hallucinogens.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Episode 8 of Halo.... was........................................................................................................................................................................... better than episode 7.

[​IMG]

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Lets see if it gets claimed by CBS again.

*edit*

Second trailer is where it's at..

Last edited: May 13, 2022

16. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
  17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Strange New Worlds gets a thumbs up from me.

Well, I say thumbs up, but is really a 50/50, with about one degree in the favour of the thumb going in the upwards direction.

Two Episodes in, and...I think it has promise, but, like a ballet dancer ice-skating on oil on top of very very thin ice with sharks under the ice, and electric eels...on crack - it has every chance of slipping up, smahing through the ice, and being eaten alive.

They have turned the SJW down to an absolute minimum, but still, every single important and impactful dialogue line is handled by a female character, with what you might call 'first line, last line'. They are the first to speak in every scene, and the last to speak in every scene, and the dramatic dialogue is delivered by a female character. In the background of every shot, is a female doing something important...ALL of the officers on the bridge are female...when you see guys, it is when their back is turned, so you do not see their faces much...there are guys there, but really have not been given any lines (apart from "New Spock") or anything to do.

I will criticise its camera movements...this is also a hold-over from Discovery and Piccard, where you have got 90 cameras in every scene with tonnes of cuts at different distances. This is quite off-putting, even at medium range on a tablet, let alone a big television at normal sitting distance. It can get quite nauseous sometimes.

The stories (so far) are excellent. It feels like classic 'ethical dilemma' problems with alien cultures...so, I'm recommending it, and I think that is the most surprising thing for me to say :)

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    eGGroLLiO and XenthorX like this.
  18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    @Loobyluggs Sounds promising, haven't checked it out yet but you made me curious.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    For me to give it a 51/49 recommendation was like forcing out an uncomfortable kidney stone with no anaesthetic, but like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    XenthorX likes this.
  20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Just watched the first episode of Star Trek New Worlds... I'm stunned, such a strong episode.
    I don't know how they will be able to keep up with this first one: There's a bit of nostalgia for sure, but it's not getting in the way of bringing fresh ideas, good dialogues which were less superficials than what we had in ST: Discovery which wore me down.
    Stunning visuals and productions as well, it has Unreal Engine written all over it.

Back to the Star Trek root, exploring new worlds, meeting new civilisations.

Shown it to my Dad who introduced me to the original Star Trek, he's a fan of the original serie, and he loved it so much!

It just really shows to me how Star Trek Discovery lost track of what i liked about Star Trek, they focused way too much on the boring personnal life of the characters, with boring dialogues, if all couples of Discovery were straight they wouldn't have shown half of it given how boring it is. There's been representation for the sake of it, in a futuristic scifi world in which every orientation is tolerated anyway so the content of it is terribly classic and boring.

To me the original Star Trek is about exploration but also danger, unknown worlds, the necessary discipline and military hierarchy, responsabilities and duty.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    eGGroLLiO likes this.