Technology getting better/security getting worse?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by schilperoordbas, May 3, 2021.

1. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    https://news.yahoo.com/three-new-in...JE_9md2ZP56oQmYhsgjLJxrna6eOlGLhM-AZR0_9Tw1Q8

Are engineers cutting corners just to get more performance out of a chip? I thought they made secure chips that are fast too. What actually does go wrong in the processor-making process that causes these vulnerabilities (that's a question I personally have)?

Now I know everywhere people work, mistakes are made and thus this happens.

I'm not taking any opinion, I just thought a discussion about the matter would be interesting.

Are these specific cpu's it's tested on made of quicksand? *Joke

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think it corners being cut and people just look for flaws to get there names in news. There have always been flaws sercurity wise but till the Meltdown/spectre stuff it was never really outed to public and we did really have "patchs" the made performance wise cause very few people knew about them so it was really exploited.

3. Raserian

Raserian Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7750
    One of the things that is dangerous here is going public with this kind of stuff. I doubt many, if any hackers knew about these vulnerabilities. They were there for years and suddenly someone who was bored found the thing out of the blue and posted it online, ofc. someone is going to exploit it. Nothing is 100% un-penetrable. I don't think regular computers need the best security there is, but security that is strong enough to ward off attackers from attacking regular computer users. Moderation is a key. Yes you can implement super high security on everything and it will be slow and hard to use and very expensive. You don't install a blast door to your house just so you want to protect it from robbery.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There is always a precarious balance between security and convenience.
    The middle ground is always the better choice, but human nature will always try to tip off the balance towards ease of use.
    And yes, people are lazy. Almost no one wants to learn and convenience trumps security.
    You can fix and secure systems, buy you just can't fix people.
    /rant over.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Better for handfull of people know about and even less able to exploit as result , then to have everyone know about it and everyone that could exploit it trying too. Obviously it would better it was there was no exploit (which will never happen)
    but Air this stuff to public like been happen past few years, does no one any good. all it did was hit people with performance hits that would of never happen if it was never air tp pulbic in first place cause only few would know and there would lot less people exploiting it. and as such fixes would not be needed cause no well know.

Less they doing for the there time in news, and or trying to panic people.