1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

technical question about memory!

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by drbaltazar, Mar 13, 2014.

1. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    OK was comparing ps4 and xbox one and I was wondering at one point why ms one day woke up and decided to add esram .I think I got the answer in the ram definition of each console but I want to be sure .
    Gddr5 ram (themselves not via the SRAM chip?)can read and write simultaneously on each clock cycle?is this right?a gddr5 memory run like a dam SRAM?or its dual ported like SRAM?last I checked there was no ddr3 dual ported ram stick.if gddr5 can do this?dam ps4 is way more powerful then people think.latency?none will care .8 GB that can be read And write at the same time.usually this take two cycle .men I ain't sure but I think ps4 as way more power sleeping in there.and if they lack power ?they have room to up the gddr5 voltage ,it isn't even at one watt!there is no way ms solution can bridge the gap between gddr5 and ddr3 if the gddr5 are dual ported .

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Same as above but for easier reading:

----------------------------------------------
    OK, I was comparing ps4 and xbox one and I was wondering at one point why ms one day wake up and decide to add esram. I think I got the answer in the ram definition of each console but I want to be sure .

Gddr5 ram (themselves not via the SRAM chip?)can read and write simultaneously on each clock cycle? Is this right? Does gddr5 memory run like a dam SRAM? Or is it dual ported like SRAM? Last I checked there was no ddr3 dual ported ram stick. Can gddr5 do this?

Damn ps4 is way more powerful then people think. latency? No one will care. 8 GB that can be read and write at the same time, usually this takes two cycles. I mean I ain't sure but I think ps4 has way more power sleeping in there and if they lack power they have room to up the gddr5 voltage ,it isn't even at one watt!

There is no way ms solution can bridge the gap between gddr5 and ddr3 if the gddr5 are dual ported.

Posted by drbaltazar
    -----------------------------------------
    @drbaltazar
    No disrepect meant, but i did my best to clean this up for English readers.
    Let me know if you want me to just leave your posts alone in the future.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  3. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    ROFL!ty men! as for the topic I looked a bit deeper!it isn't all it seem!the ps4 design will be insane for 32 bit (being able to generate 2 memory page at at the same clock cycle is huge .but on 64 bit ?xbox one as a huge advantage !so I suspect ps4 will likely focus on 32 bit game,(not a bad choice given its been 10 years and 64 bit isn't exactly popular for gaming .which I pick ?if the game is 32 bit? Ps4 ,64 bit?I don't know yet ,I all wait.best would have been gddr5 with esram 32 MB I suspect.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  4. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)

5. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Understand what the SRAM is doing: Its a small, very fast data cache that is used to shuffle data between the CPU and main memory, to try and hide the slow(er) memory speeds. PS3 did the same thing. Think of it as a L4 cache.

Problem is, its REALLY hard to manage well. You have to keep it constantly fed so the data is ready when the CPU needs it. Its a pain to work with.