Techland Announce Dying Light (PS3/360/PC/PS4/XBOXONE)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 23, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I own an NVIDIA GPU and as soon as I see mention of NVIDIA features or Gameworks then my first thought is that the game won't run very well or will stutter badly at the very least. Sorry but I can't help it as it has being my experience of past Gameworks titles...unfortunately...starting with Batman: Arkham City and its embarrasingly broken DX11 mode, a game that was endorsed by NVIDIA!!! :(

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Wonderful post.

A lot of people who have already had some hands on time with it have said the game is very well optimized, and that the new Chrome Engine runs surprisingly well on a wide variety of hardware.
    Even older hardware. That's always been the great thing about the Chrome Engine.

There are three games that, IMO, have made great use of PhysX.
    Mafia II
    Borderlands 2
    Mirror's Edge

All three of them use the effects in great ways, and they don't kill the performance of the game.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Only Mirrors Edge didnt, other have ****ty physx implementation stalling gpu.

4. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti
    This! :giggle2: I couldn't believe how crap it looked!

Personally I'm all for Nvidia Gameworks features, I'd rather have the option than not. I'm also a fan of PhysX. It's come on in recent times and now isn't a killer on performance.

Do we know the delay time on the disc versions yet? I've read several articles but they simple do not mention the delay time!? I ordered through Game.co.uk and there is no estimated delivery date in my order details only that the game is released on the 30/01/15.

5. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Didn't ME just have those randomly placed 0 importance wavy flags?
    Maybe it's me but I don't see how to qualifies as good "PhysX" implementation, unless I'm missing something else that is.

6. Archer

Archer New Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    COD Ghosts launched without without Gameworks. What are you trying to fool?

Just like Nvidia's have to deal with Forward+, global illumination, direct compute (these can't be turned off), TressFX.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I suppose the argument could be made that the development time spent adding stuff could be spent optimising the game further, but I think you would see even more complaints about the game being a 1:1 console port with higher res/framerate.

As someone who never plays a game on release, I'm all for stuff being added matter how taxing, it makes older game easier on the eye.

PhysX on older games is still dodgy though, Batman AC still has the same issues as it did on my 570.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    It also had smoke fx and debris fx, but they didnt stall it much, they used suitable amounts.

For example by Mafia2 @ Max physx setting,
    I blew up the car then all the sudden fps started to drop for no reason, I drive all the way across the town and still got low fps from that blown car lol

Borderlands2, had similar stuff.

physx2 has this inefficient object rendering implementation where it renders each object (particle) over and over again, instead of just saving a info for it and render only when its interacting - this killed perf. still does by all current older physx2 games (Mars benchmark is another really bad example), it would be kinda ok if it didnt lower gpu usage while doing it, but no it also cripples gpu to ~ 50-60% usage and then of course you get fps drops and ugly stutter.

Physx3 has all this fixed, to the point it doesn't matter much.

Imo Gameworks is ok'ish, COD Ghosts ran ok with dog fur @high, physx turbulence was so so.. FC4 also, expect for hairworks - looks unrealistic and kills perf., but at least it doesn't stall gpu like physx2.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Mirror's Edge had flags yes, but also had breakable glass, particles from gunfire when it hit glass and brick/wood walls.
    Plastic sheets you could push/kick enemies through.

10. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    FYI Nvidia work with devs a year ahead of launch date on their promoted games, on Advanced warfare they had no saying and look at the result :)

If this game doesn´t fly in mid-range computers like the previous techland games (with the nvidia stuff disabled) then we´ll know why... or at least we can point fingers :blunt:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

11. Archer

Archer New Member

GPU:
    GTX 460
    So you want run Dying Light maxed out, 1080p with 3 years old GPU? Techland talked a lot about Dying Light being next-gen.

gamespot . com/articles/last-gen-versions-of-dying-light-canceled-will-be-/1100-6423239/

12. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    They confirmed in the latest stream the retail version will have an FOV slider. Now just to turn off the damned dof and motion blur

13. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It´s not like mid-range cards have seen their performance multiplied astronomically in the latest three years you know?. Techland always cared that their games run smoothly along a broad range of configurations, let´s see if they still do.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, Techland have been talking up their new engine a lot.
    But, they've never once claimed that the game or the engine would be a hardware killer.

Not sure where people got this idea that "next gen" means will only run good on the absolute top end hardware.
    The good thing about Chrome is that it's always been very well optimized and that it doesn't require a lot of resources.

In fact, Techland have stated they moved Hellraid to the new Chrome Engine because it's better optimized, runs smoother and doesn't eat up as many resources.
    Next Gen can also refer to improvements in optimization and resource management.

15. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Agreed, i like the Chrome engine and i find most of Techland and anything with Warner Bros always run great for me. Its too bad Ubisoft can't take a note from these guys lol :p

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015

16. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    [​IMG]
    Haven't been able to find the english version but HBAO+ and bokeh DOF are mentioned.
    PC only, nice. :D

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You had to run the game in DX9 mode to play it without texture flickering and stutter.

Thats not OK in any sense. After everyone and there mothers unborn child in the industry bigged up B:AC before release with its DX11 usage and Nvidia specific effects, peoples solution of running in DX9 was borderline offensive to human intelligence. For 6 months that game was only playable in DX9 mode. That is not a solution and RS support was disgusting, as such I wont be buying B:AK until its proven to work as advertised and this better be the case on release day - No working day 1 game = bargain bin title.

18. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I never said it was excusable, I said it was Nvidia's fault.

Anyone translate the above image?

19. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    The only thing a gameworks title guarantees is that it will run like garbage on Nvidia and run like complete garbage on AMD. Wish Nvidia would stick to making the absolute best video cards and keep their grubby paws off of actual game development.

20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Gameworks runs fine on Nvidia hardware, can't speak for AMD though.

If you don't like it then turn it off, Gameworks features even if they run like crap is still alot better than having nothing added and a straight 1:1 console port.