Techland Announce Dying Light (PS3/360/PC/PS4/XBOXONE)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 23, 2013.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Damn, that is some bad ass system req. I never seen game need 8GB ram on minimum. I'll not take it too seriously though.

And that CPU req, lol. 2500k perform similarly to a 4670k just like 8320 perform similarly like 8350.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    It's probably got to do with how many threads the games uses because of it being ported from consoles. The specs do seem a bit 'over the top' though. It better look damn good!

Oh btw, according to the specs it's a DirectX 11 game. You would expect it to be DirectX 10, right? Since it only has a recommendation of 16 GB of RAM and a GTX 780/R9-290 video card.

PC gets DirectX 10 graphics whereas the Xbox One gets Directx 11.2?

On the website, they have said:
    So it is a little bit strange the recommended specs still say DirectX 10.

It's not the high level of specs that people see as an issue, it's if the requirements aren't reflected in all aspects of the visual environment and gameplay. If the visuals are truly breathtaking, then the specs are okay :). However, even if the visuals are breathtaking but they are almost identical to the Xbox One and/or PS4, then that is also something valid to complain about!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Funny they didnt say 4770K or even 4790K xD

I really doubt the game will use more then 6.5-7gb though, this is the max I ever saw in current titles.

4. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Techland has officially release the system requirements.
    The ones that were earlier posted by Steam were placeholders, and not the official ones from Techland and Warner Bros.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Hmm so that's how it was, although they're the same but these have halved the RAM requirements, guess it might perhaps show how little these requirements mean now when they can just alter them due to community criticism.
    (Although in this specific case I really doubt the game would have used anywhere near 10 - 12 GB of RAM.)

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm willing to trust Techland.

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Gunslinger and Dead Island all ran very well for me.
    Hell, even though it was awful, CoJ: Cartel ran smooth. As did DI: Riptide.

The only unknown is that Dying Light is on the newest version of the Chrome Engine. Chrome 6.
    But, Techland said they made the jump to 6 because it was a much more optimized version of the engine. They even moved Hellraid to Chrome 6 as they found it ran smoother on it then on the Chrome 5 Engine they had been using.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah Chrome Engine has been pretty good, will be interesting to see what this new version can do. :)

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I (hopefully) should get my upgrade done before the game comes out.
    Dying Light is one I'm really looking forward to.

10. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Does anyone know if the Coop in the game is the whole SP campaign or just some coop only campaign?

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    They are working to make it like Dead Island.
    To where you can play as much of the game in coop as you want. A few missions, the entire thing.

Or, you can even invade other players games as a "special infected" and hunt them down.

Personally, just like with Dead Island and Borderlands, I'll be turning off any of the online stuff.
    I want to play it by myself, and not have random people popping into my gave.

12. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Look good, but i dont know why.. i start to be really tired of zombies games.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  13. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    You could play the whole Dead Island game in coop? I didn't know that!

And on your last part I agree completely but it's fun to play through such games with my wife, we played Borderlands split screen on the projector's 120" screen and that was really great, currently playing through FC4 coop as well :)

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, Dead Island is completely playable from start to end in coop.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yeah same.. But think I will try it anyway, just for the looks. Techland had crappy engine, this upgrade looks a bit better now.

16. Mugsy

Mugsy Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Looking forward to this :D

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Anti-aliasing would be nice considering how previous Chrome Engine games, even on PC, have always lacked it. Out of all the engines, the Chrome Engine always felt a bit dated to me and foliage pop in and shadow draw in was always extremely ugly and jarring in all the games I've played that used it. It runs well on the PC but that is hardly surprising seeing as it doesn't produce anything truly jawdropping visually IMO.

The footage I've seen of Dying Light on the PC looks like a huge improvement over the old games, likely because it is finally running on DX11. However, the graphics settings for the PC version of Dying Light seem somewhat lacking from what I've seen of them on YouTube. There was still no anti-aliasing nor tessellation options for example and, in fact, the settings looked very similar to old Chrome Engine games. There was even a setting to change the shadow map resolution!

The general consensus seems to be that the PC version of Dying Light is very polished and runs well even on older PCs. That certainly seems to be the case from the videos I've seen, though shadows can still be seen drawing in a bit too close. It looks like a more refined and darker version of Dead Island with parkour. Looks a lot of fun and even though the two Dead Island games were rough as hell they were still enjoyable games to play. A better version of those games married to Mirror's Edge style parkour sounds great to me. Pre-ordered it for PC for £23 a few weeks back from ShopTo.net. Was going to get it for PS4 but I think this type of first person game works better at 60 fps and the console versions will undoubtedly be 30 fps only.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Dying Light is one of the very few games I'm really excited for this year.
    I can't wait to play it. Techland have very rarely "let me down"... with the only really disappointing game being CoJ: The Cartel.

Which even Techland admitted they pretty much rushed out since they felt they weren't getting any support from Ubisoft on it.
    They put all their focus into Dead Island instead.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Both Dead Island games were critically panned though, which I must admit surprised me as when the first game came out it was genuinely unlike anything else out, a mix of RPG elements in an open world sandbox with zombies. It was not very polished (especially on the consoles) and had plenty of flaws but it was very addictive and enjoyable. I am very much looking forward Dying Light despite zombies getting a bit tired these days in games.

20. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    too much melee gameplay not enough firearms.
    dead rising 3 done it very well.