tech related obsessions

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by damien666, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    LOL, I do that too.If I'm timing something, I'll sit there and wait till the clock turns over to the even minute before I put it in.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I adjust everything until it feels, looks or sounds right.

The numeral attached to the setting is irrelevant.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I like to double check all graphics and audio settings (when I change something that might change those settings). They have magically changed before, I don't want that to happen again. -_-

4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I don't think the monitor allignment/amp even numbers has anything to do with a tech obsession really. Just general OCD. I do the same.

A tech obsession would be looking at reviews and scouring over benchmarks for a new GPU/ computer component for months before buying it.

Right now I am consumed with a stereo fetish. I am buying some new speakers for $1600 and I am looking on all sorts of obscure websites and forums to see pictures of peoples setups with those speakers.

I downloaded the PDF manuals for each of them and would take a measuring tape up to my current speakers and measure how much bigger they would be to my current ones and smile as I visualise them.

I do this several times per day by the way.
    That is what I would call a tech obsession. It also goes by the name of 'extreme psychosis...

You can call mental health services to take me away now.

These are my puppies to be btw

[​IMG]

5. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    My volume also has to always be on even numbers. Also on the computer, all of my files have to have neat filenames and be organised. my desktop has to either have organised icons or no icons as well. drives me crazy otherwise.

^nice speakers :)

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Thanks, they'll be mine on the 28th. I'll be keeping my current fronts and using them as rear surrounds, and replacing the current surrounds with the new ones and using them as side surrounds for 7.1, and of course the new centre will replace my current centre.

Gotta love that AUS uni scholarship that all students now get... ( I didn't vote labour but cheers for the money! )

Gonna pick up this amp with the speakers as I found out the scholarship for me is now $1097 and now $650 because I moves house to a 'regional area'.

[​IMG]

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm obsessed with round numbers and best to have them divisible by 5. This includes hard drives.

If not, for volume, they can be divisble by 2.

I also tweak my graphics card so it balances frame rate and quality. I do not accept crappy graphics unless it's absolutely necessary.

deltatux

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I have to be able to set my palm on the desk infront of the keyboard, otherwise it's hard for me to even use the keyboard at all.

Also, on all of my Android phones, aside from Muiu roms, I've always had a clean home screen.

9. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load

what speakers are these mate im somewhat of a hifi nut, i love my sound quality :) you seen my setup, they have unreal life like sound

10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    @Damien666

They are Yamaha NS-777 ( fronts ) Yamaha NS-C444 ( centre ) and Yamaha NS-333 ( Surrounds ).

I'm a huge fan of Yamaha speakers. I have a pair of NS-300 front speakers now which are 400 watt and 30-35000hz. They sounds better than 3000k fronts I've heard in shops. I have Yamaha surrounds and centres as well but I've never had the money for a Yamaha amp until now.

A lot of audio pros rate the NS-777/444/333 against much more expensive Paradigms and Klipsch speakers.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

11. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    @dchalf10

hmm ive not heard these speakers so i cant comment but from details ive read they seem very good speakers on spec... also its not about the cost of the speakers its about the sound quality, ie my mordaunt short setup is rated 5stars by whats hifi and the rest of the reviews back in the day for sound quality but their a great price, i think i payed £500paiur fronts and centers/rears £300pair... i would never buy any other brand bar these from now on, they are perfect for me :)

ive had my setup for about 6years now :) and still perfect condition and great sound love em... take care of you setup mate

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Yeah my speakers are 10 years old now. So I fugured a little upgrade was in order. But I agree that it comes down to personal preference when you get up into the high end fronts anyway. The difference gets exponentially smaller as the price gets exponentially higher.

If you can get a car that performs and look 95% as good as a Ferrari for 1/10th of the price. Then that's all there is to it. Same with speakers.

My e-peen will be a km wide when I install them. I don't get excited about many things but getting a new stereo is a rare occurrence so I'm pretty happy about it. Hell I've gone through a few cars in the last 10 years and my stereo has stayed the same. ( except for a few dead amps here and there ;) )

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    All those with Aspergers or Autism look away now!

Because of this thread I'm deliberately changing all settings to odd numbers and a half!

14. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    omg im the same, when i install a new setup ill sit their for hours just listing lol, and watching like some obsessed puppy...good sound is the only thing i live for its my life, nothing else matters, it makes me very happy

heres my setup
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3809883&postcount=1120

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3705301&postcount=1032

hahahah pmsl
    its weird how so many of use have this number issue :)

15. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    @Damien

haha I wish I'd waited until you posted that. After you mentioned your stereo I went backwards through the home theatre thread in the HTPC section and then went backwards through the game setup section. It would have saved me some time but it's all good. Looking at other people's setups is a good way to pass time while I wait. I think I've looked at every picture on the internet of my speakers I'm getting so there is only one thing left to do, get my man-imperative on to compare my $#!+ to everyone elses $#!=. lol

Nice setup. I only have a 40" TV. I plan on getting a 46" and moving this one to my room.

I multitask my TV and use it as my PC monitor primarily as well as for music DVD's and blu-rays..I don't watch TV. But anything bigger than 46" is too big as far as screen size/viewing distance is concerned for me.

This is my setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Overclocking, it must reach at least 100MHz overclock for graphics card or I will seriously pissed. Used to obsessed with 1GHz CPU overclock, Pentium 4 2GHz o/c 3GHz 1.75V, Sempron 1.5Ghz o/c to 2.5GHz stock Vcore and Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz to 3.2GHz but I'm over it now. Memory timing also at its tightest with NB frequency overclocked to give more bandwidth. Windows Experience Index for Memory is 7.8, this is from 4GB 1066MHz DDR2

Speakers, if the speaker is crappy I would rather hear nothing st all than hear from some crappy speaker (or crappy laptop speaker). Headphones is not my thing

Windows, tweak to the max. Minimize each unnecessary process. Just stock Windows theme with black background. So things boots up faster and response is almost immediate.

Power saving. Suddenly all I wanted is maximum power saving when I'm just browsing or watching videos, minimum noise and lower heat output. My Phenom II X4 955BE idles at 800MHz 0.65V only, while my GTS 250 clocked at mere 150/300MHz core/shader clock with 300MHz memory

Driving, I found out my car gets the best balanced of fuel consumption is at 3,000rpm at top gear so I don't stray far from it. Also I will pump extra 10% of tire pressure because it help at speed or carry heavy loads

17. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I like to stream everything over the network if possible (audio/video).

It's odd - I just feel the need to do it and accumulate huge amounts of transfered traffic. Maybe it's so I feel justified in having a NAS...

Also, I can only have one shortcut to anything. For instance, it can only be in the taskbar, start menu or on the desktop. Never more than one.

Same with my phone - and just about everything I own where that's a possibility.

18. RSX

RSX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6970
    I have this nasty obsession of constantly checking the task bar to make sure the sound volume is at 100%, AntiVir is on, and Malwarebytes on. My monitor needs to dead center to my eye as well. I guess you can call me an OCD.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Volume on everything has to be in even numbers. When photoshoping and using say sharpening, it has to be in round numbers (say 60 or 70, I won't have 64 lol). Overclocks have to be in round numbers, I'd rather have 900mhz on my gpu core than 917mhz for example... Weird I know :)

20. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Those desktop icons better be in order....