Team Guru3D overclocker pours LN2 on hexacore processor gets to 5700 MHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Interesting results. Thanks for sharing them, Bodar! :)

Do you have a video of the overclocking itself?

I've seen a few done by other guys but it would be awesome to see you grilling a few GPUs and "sipping your LN2 cocktail." :D

Keep up, man! :thumbup:

2. tabs

tabs Banned

GPU:
    One question, why when you were doing a 6 core CPU test were you running the benchmarks at 1920*1200 with AA at max etc....surely you were in danger of having the GFX being a bottleneck when you were going from 4 core to 6 core...

Would it not have been better to run at less AA, and perhaps 1024*768ish to ensure the GFX wern't getting fillrate limited etc. To prove whether the game benefited from going from 4 to 6 cores or not.

3. Kill4L

Kill4L Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Laptop
    excellent stuff Bodar!!!

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Interesting results on some of the games, you tested. Anyways, geat job, none the less!

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Bodar I think you destroyed half the 5870s in the world. :wanker:

Thanks for the video/benchmarks.

6. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    fair play Bodar you got em good lol, exellent scores, you keep this forum interesting, pm me if you want rid of sh*t lol
    CONGRATZ

7. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Wow. Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the positive feedback! I love this place and you guys are all so awesome! Hupefully once I get some more cards or once Fermi Arrives I'll be back. I may do one more test to see what happens. Also add a video of that whole process as well. I was surprised at how stable the cpu was even at 5700mhz while driving 3 gpu's.. This time I'll go for better numbers and overclock those graphics cards a bit. Once again! Thanks so much! I love this stuff and wont give up even though I lost some good hardware. :)

Also, I thought about setting the resolution lower just to see if 6 cores made a difference. I set everything higher on purpose because I wanted to see how well this 6 core drove 3 gfx cards in real world gaming performance. I dont think most of us game at 1024 x 768 anymore.. Plus, it's fun to see this chip do it's job at maxed settings.. I may try low resolutions just to post for some more numbers. These procs will be out soon and Hilbert will have the best review around with all the info you need.. Not long now.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  8. Understandable

Understandable Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
    Supurb job Bodar! looking forward to you breaking more hardware in.

9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    lol, 5.7ghz 6 core that isn't released....."real world performance" those 2 things don't go together, but you're humble about it so we'll let it slide.

I agree though, NO ONE plays games at that low res, so the scaling is irrelevant at those settings.

Benches should always be 1680x1050,1920x1080 ( or 1920x1200 ), 2560x1920.

and games should be done at max settings with AA, and without AA, for comparison.

It's the only 'honest' way to do it, otherwise people are tricked into thinking upgrading from a PII to an i7 is worth the money...even though the gaming performance at high res with max settings is literally <5 frames difference.

I don't know if you already are only the guru3d team Bodar but them should hire you as the resident benchmark guinea pig...if they haven't already.

10. Karnage3099

Karnage3099 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970
    Nice work Bodar!! Now do some crazy benching with a Phenom chip :p

11. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    dude you should be getting all this sh*t for free via sponsorship, sorry about your cards dude but I guess if you want to make an omelette you gotta break some eggs lol:), sure you could go 6ghz+ on that chip, lol crack off the chips casing for direct contact!:)

12. tabs

tabs Banned

GPU:
    I agree 1024 etc. isn't real world, just 90% of the benchmarks there was an increase in fps going from 2 to 4 cores then the fps was identical going to 6, so either at 4 cores at 5500MHz was maxxing out the GFX or the game stopped getting any further CPU benefit, just curious which.

13. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    There were only a few games that actually liked 6 cores.. Maybe they just made it that way to be future proof.. The biggest one was left 4 dead.. Man, that game was so slow with 2 cores... The more zombies, the slower it got. It was very obvious that game loves cpu cores.. The graphics are not oustanding anymore but I guess it really shows what some developers focus on so far as new technology.. Now just combine all that power and release half life 3 with a new engine and there you go :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  14. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Bodar, keep up the good work. 3 Cheers.

15. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Nice job Bodar! Always love seeing your stuff rock! It would be awsome if you could do the same + comparison when the AMD Hexacore procs come out as well. See how hard you can push those.

Sweet LN2 setup btw. It looks a little confusing at first haha.

16. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Thanks so much!! I will try to compare the new amd proc as well! :) I'm off to run some more tests.. It's sunday here. Just taking it easy. cheers!!

17. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    Great stuff bodar as allways,just one question though?

I broke so many 5870's so I couldn't finish all my LN2 stuff but I'll be back!-quoted from article

I wish I could afford just one of these cards,do you get some kind of sponsorship for hardware?

18. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Im also crying about one of those 5870,

I could have saved one of them :(. :p.

Nice benches and thanks. Altho i dont think we'll need 6-cores soon :p

19. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Basically I just saved up for a while, then decided what I wanted to purchase.. I did'nt expect to love this benching / LN2 mixture so much. i think I started with 1 card, then 3, then 4, then 7.... I stopped there. I have 1 5970 and two 5870's left.. All the others are out for rma.. I may try quadfire with 1 5970 and two 5870's tonight. Also the proc under LN2 of course. Thanks so much guys! I may not freeze the rma returns. Probably just sell and wait for the next thing.. April I guess?