Team Guru3D Is Now 46th In The WORLD! {Fold On...}

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by iancook221188, May 13, 2010.

1. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    back to 50th but look like we have to relay push now to start climbing the list agian

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Are we gaining any ground on #49?

3. iancook221188

GPU:
    no not relay it say 5.8 month to go be for we over take any one

4. iancook221188

GPU:
    we are now back up to 50th but are team ppd is hitting some very low number at the moment we need to work out a way to get so new/more people folding

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Personally, I've been getting hit by some heavy-hitter SMP WUs which required my 2500K 4.4GHz to fold more than half a day to finish it, and getting only around 16k+ in return.
    The fact that Fermi WUs only getting me 2510 almost every 3 hours don't help much either.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    It was a maze just finding the high performance client page now, and when I did I didn't find anything that says Radeon HD 6000s are supported. I assume GPU3 supports it?

Edit: I guess not. Searching for a beta of GPU2 v7.
    Edit 2: Installed it, and now I'm not sure why it can't connect.
    Edit 3: Got it. But there's some squealing coming from the card (coils? capacitors?), is that normal?

It's giving ~8500 points for ~5 hours of GPU work and the CPU work which seemingly never hits even 0.1% it gives 89 points for its endless time, just 89. :3eyes: That's a far cry from the 16K+ the fellow above was talking about.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ?
    I thought you could just install 7.1.52 and it'd automatically download the proper cores based on the hardware being detected on your PC?

Dunno with Radeon cards, but it's not doing that with my 560 Ti.
    I could check with my 5770 but maybe later-ish.

If you use the F@H GUI from the installer above you should be able to see the error logs.
    Those 88~89 (base) points SMP WUs are the quickest, usually churning out 700~800+ points for less than an hour.
    The 16k+ more-than-half-a-day SMP WUs are something I don't get often, but it's usually every 2 or 3 days.
    You can see this from my stats over at Kakao.
    See Aug 10, 12 and 15 where there's an excess of 20k (combined with GPU WUs).

IIRC, if you haven't folded for quite some time, you have to successfully fold some WUs until you can get the proper 'clearance' on processing bigger WUs.
    I don't know if it's still like that; ian'd probably know more.

8. iancook221188

GPU:
    yer i used to get coil wine from my gtx260 witch is still folding btw if it to loud for you try just cpu folding or the cpu side is it using all your thread/cores with the cpu work unit witch can take a long time to complete compared to the gpu unit they have smaller vase point but have a bouns for quick return when compete the gpu unit only have there base pionts

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    The PCB doesn't appear to even have a coil on it (it's reference), either that or I missed it: http://img.benchmark.rs/tests/vga/ati/radeon/radeon_hd6950_hd6970/cards/6950_front.jpg

So I guess it's the capacitors? I never got this sort of squealing with my trusty old GTX 280.
    I tried again, I checked after over 20 minutes and nothing had changed. Does it wait to complete before updating? Either way according to your estimate it should have been done. The CPU goes to 100% on all 8 threads. The log says nothing beyond it being at 0%, no errors.

10. iancook221188

GPU:
    do you know what project/work unit your running should be under the column PRCG

some work unit can take 20min to do 1% even on my hex at 4.4

did you ever fold on the 280 it was well none for squealing under folding

try stopping the the gpu client as the amd client can take alot of cpu cycles from the cpu just to run it

on the smp work unit each thread need to be the same i.e if one core is being used buy another program and is making the folding on that core run at say 30% the all the other core/thread will run at that even though in task manager they look at 100%

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Edit: Well your edit answered it then, I had the GPU client going which actually uses 1 entire thread.

I'll try again and edit this later to confirm.

Edit 2: That was quick, yes it's getting the work done rather fast. I didn't expect the client to have such a huge flaw.

I missed your question. Yes I did fold on the 280, it didn't squeal, at least not louder than the fans. So if it did, it wasn't nearly as loud as this card.

12. iancook221188

GPU:
    yer it just them amd client the nvidia client take anywhere between 1-6% load the amd could be up to 50-60% nvidia put help in to making the client because is used cuda and i think folding was one of the earlier program that used it and show case it. sanford are try with the amd client believe it or not it has got better lol

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Oh, yeah, right, I almost forgot about that one.
    AMD's GPU client do eat up CPU resources more than Nvidia's.
    I did fold with my laptop for awhile, and it always took up one whole core (to 100%) for folding GPU WUs alone.
    Even when I still put my 5770 on my 2500K rig it also hogged almost an entire core exclusively, but 'only' about 50~60%.

Probably still a juggling mechanic between GPU and CPU power in case of AMD cores.
    If you have a fast card, then you'd have to have a faster CPU to cope with to avoid bottleneck while folding.

14. PlayN@Home

PlayN@Home Active Member

GPU:
    3 @ GTX 570 WC
    I'm hoping to get back to folding on all of my equipment soon. It's been over 100 deg. here. Trying to cool the house and folding has been killing my electric bill. I've been down 100k PPD for a little while and recently I've been getting 8008 WU's and have lost another 10k PPD:thumbdown for the two video cards I've kept running .

15. iancook221188

GPU:
    yer i know what you mean ive had 2 fan's die on my rad now going with corsair sp120 high flow ive had few other fan die. temp in summer time is hot and ive got core-temp set to shut the rig down at 80c at it keep turning the rig off, rads at the top of my case so all the hot air is making it run at 12c hotter gpu fan are running at 100%. i also think one of ssd is dying could not get the raid too boot or pick up the drive (os only folding is on an hdd) wont let this heat beat me but. hardware is dying all around not good

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Damn. =/
    Respect for keeping it up even with hardware start dropping like flies.

17. iancook221188

GPU:
    o yer that not the worst thing don't know how i forgot but an ocz psu when up in smoke long story but it was in an old rig (q9550 witch is still folding) and took it out because i suspected it was coming to the end of it life and just used it as a back up but put it backing in that as i need the psu that was in it any got woke up by a family member say and i could smell burning from my room lol turned it off as soon as i did that blue and gray smoke came out open the psu up (that what i do to think lol) a coil had turn back and because of bad design all the cable i.e 24 pin and so on had started melting(no shielding from the heat from the coil) lucky escape. all my psu now are from corsair and ive had no problems from them so far one rig still run a ocz 500 but that will change soon. it in the same range as the one that smocked look the same design inside as the 700w witch went:puke2:. and the load of the 700 was only 350w so it wasn't overloaded proper piss off at the moment

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I may have to find a new PSU....or one of those GPU PSUs soon....

They don't seem too concerned with supporting new cards. Grabbed the latest GPU.txt and my HD7870 still errors. I didn't buy the card to leave it sitting on the shelf in it's box. If I can run both the 7870 and GTX560 at the same time, I can Fold and game happily with no interruption. Can't really afford to dedicate a rig to folding 24/7 right now.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  19. iancook221188

GPU:
    we are back to 50th just got blown over buy Cisco Systems there doing about 5-6 million a day but had a lot lower day yesterday so we will see if they can stay in front

20. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    yeah, i don't mind folding but i can't compete with... cisco, oracle, or a dedicated university computer lab. but i will be putting together a folding computer tommorow with the extra video cards i have laying around. either a 295 and 560 ti, or 2 560 ti's and a 460 still not sure of the combo i want to use.