TDK shows 1TB optical disc prototype

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Through the mages of Engadget they TDK showcased a prototype of a 1TB optical disc at the Japanese CEATEC expo. The prototype features 16 layers on both sides of the disc each capable of storing up...

More...

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Holy smokes! :eek:

This could be a really nice backup medium but I don't even want to know what they would charge for one disc during the first one or two years though...

3. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    There is an article about a new storage disk prototype every few months...but nothing ever comes of them.

I'm sick of these incremental updates...just when 50% of people get a 1080p TV...there will be a new standard with a new aspect ratio again....

DVD aspect 16:9, CRT aspect: 4:3
    Blu ray aspect: 2.4:1, 1080p ratio: 16:9
    this next gen media aspect: 2.4:1, the next gen of tv's: 16:3..

:S:S:S:S

4. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeap, sucks that we keep advancing, huh?

Lol :p

But yeah man, I agree, I mean I wanna go out and buy a Blu-ray player, get a 1080p 52'' TV, and buy my favorite movies / animes on Blu-Ray, but then 2 years later, bam "Blu-ray quality is NOTHING COMPARED TO X-FORMAT!" Ughity, lol.

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I've been hearing about 16-32 layer disc's for years, they've never caught on, I don't think this is really news.

6. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o

probaly around 100E or 150E a disc minimum

probaly lot more tough

7. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    While the size of the disc storage sounds good in theory, how long would it take to burn one? At this point I'd be happy with 25 GB per layer Blu-ray disc if it meant I could burn one in a few minutes.

8. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    My thoughts too, the drive would have to be pretty fast and/or have multiple lasers to burn more than one layer at a time. Could be pretty good for backups though one day, as drive technology advances every year and the speeds are very impressive today, when compared to drives from 6 or more years ago (though I expect it to take 2-3 years, it may end up twice that long to make it to consumer gear). The acceleration of technological progress has sped up dramatically over the last few years by quite a margin.

I guess I have to keep in mind TDK are already showing prototype discs and the pace of manufacture and release of consumer grade products is increasing steadily. We already have MP3 players and mobile phones that recharge without wires. :nerd:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  9. duude

duude Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone 6850 1gb
    At the moment we do not need something with soo much storage,costing a fortune.What we need is something affordable.(At the max 3-5 times as expensive as dvd's).

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    16 layers, can you imagine how long that will take before this beast is burned ?

11. zinc99

zinc99 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    As long as it is faster then a tape backup I would love it. And before anyone goes off on HD backups. HD fail over time we are talking 8 years from now I can stick this in and recover.

12. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I never said it sucks that it advances, I said it sucks that they bring out new disk formats that do not match the aspect ratio of the new TV formats, no doubt this is because if they had a native aspect native res format for the latest TV's people would see little reason to get the next gen so fast, but giving us black lines gives us reason to update yet again in a few years time...to the next non-native aspect ratio format.

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    good at least its not $ony BD bull$hit

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    All my TV show recordings on 1 optical disc? damn

deltatux

15. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    TDK = the dark knight????????? :p :p ..

i would love to have that if the price is right..

16. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Only 1TB? Honestly, they've had prototype optical discs before that held more storage. This is neither special nor a first. More layers = slower so unless they get this down to 3 or less layers then it's not going to work. Of course, they could also find a way to burn the extra layers quicker, but they obviously haven't yet.