1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So I jumped on this train, I got 55" TCL S515 (2018) for 459$ can't go wrong, to get 50" of samsung nu7100 it would cost 550$ and 43" would been 479$ and 40" was 450% price wise cant go wrong, black uniformity is good enough for me, I can't sing praises for its response times even though this tv have some best response times for budget tv, it certain better then my old LN32A550 and about equal to my monitor, viewing angle about the same, dithering issue isnt a issue so long as i viewing tv from 5+ feet away the TCL will be used for watching tv, play consoles or one my pc games on big screen not for viewing web sites. it has 1440p support too not that I will really use that my monitor is 1080p so i just keep it at 1080p so i dont have play change resolution game every time i want to play on big scree. I did try skyrim at 4K and i cant say I say much difference,

For the price cant go wrong, I would of like NU7100 to have better response times then it did, and cost less, 50" would been better from my purposes, 55" to big and 49" of TCL had crosshatching issue that would been big no no for pc usages.

I NU7100 43" cost as much S515 55" it cetianly had better black uniformity but response time horrible in comparison.

Overall I think the TCL was worth it, providing it dont die in 2 years or something stupid like that No dead pixels either I have 2 of at the new house.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NITRO 390x
    my only problem with TCL roku tvs, firmware updates are normally a month or 2 after releasing it for the stand alone roku devices.
    my tv (2017) has a firmware bug that when turning on the tv, wifi connects and then disconnects and then after a minute or so reconnects.
    I cant leave my tv in standby mode. as it doesnt shut of the backlight....

but yeah your tv is a better model then mine.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    For the price cant go wrong, that not say i cant pick it a part when my OCD kicks in, And at somepoint it will, seeing I dont think Full/Limited does anything, on this TV RBG, 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0 Full/Limited Does nothing to image from what i can see.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Spoke to soon I have dead/stuck pixels, that were not there 6 day ago or it just took me that long to see it >>

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Well I replace that tv and it had dead/stuck pixel in different spot "this pixel is some times black some times red, but it always there just like other set" , except this one more to edge and less viewable but it noticeable to me cause I use it as monitor and can sit as close as 2 feet from it)

Original Set had the dead/stuck pixel more in middle of screen which really was annoying, I check there other 55" TCL in that in living room for dead pixel/stuck and there are NONE, so I gona exchange the one I just exchanged again, and if there is dead pixel/stuck I will, Just take living room TV that has no dead/stuck pixels and put the one with the dead/stuck pixels in living room as that one will never be used as PC monitor let alone be views close enough to see a dead/stuck pixel. seeing tv in living room will be viewed from 8+ feet all the time

I really dont want keep going back and forth cause I need help carrying it and a someone to drive me that capable of helping me carry the 55", it might be only 25lbs but it also way to huge for me to carry my self out of the box let alone, take it off the mount and carry the box, I like the TV but dead/stuck pixel cant and wont be bearable with my OCD.

This is the first LCD monitor/tv I bought in last 10 years that had dead/stuck pixels, and so far 2 of the 3 TCL i got had them, the other 6+ lcd/monitors I got in last 10 year had zero dead pixels. I must have crappy luck lately, I bought PS4 pro and exchange it 4 times cause nasty coil whine, before I had my money returned. now I have 2 out 3 TCL TV with dead/stuck pixels, and I need a tv and for price it cant be beat. I wont be getting samsung 43" for the price let alone 55"

Dead/stuck pixels are a no no and a manufacturing defect, I dont under stand why Q/A lets any panel/tv get shipped with any dead/stuck pixels, if you get dead/stuck pixels even it just one on tv right out of the box, down the road will probably more poping up cause that is what happen to every lcd/tv I ever had that i didnt return cause dead/stuck pixels, with in years time dozen of them poped up. But if i get dead pixel again on 3rd set I wont be get TCL again anytime soon. I will go back to Samsung, Dead pixels just should not happen, and i know some manufacture have policy that 5 or less dead/stuck pixels is fine and TCL thinks 16 on 4k is acceptable, 1 dead/stuck pixel is to many.

Other then this i have no complaints about the tv at lest none that would trigger my OCD, blacks or deeper then my old LN32A550 and just as uniform and response time is better too.(still dont compare to OLED let alone CRT

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018