Taskbar issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sof006, Nov 16, 2021.

1. sof006

sof006 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Hi guys, not sure how to describe this issue. Googling it returns no helpful results, possibly because I don't know how to describe the issue myself.

But here goes! Since the more recent Nvidia drivers 496.xx and higher i've been getting some odd behaviour which I am not able to describe very well. I can be sat watching YouTube on my PC and randomly I will notice my Windows taskbar will "discolour".

What I mean by this is if I was looking at the taskbar and I was to look at the pinned icons, they would all look really dark (along with the rest of the taskbar) as if someone turned the contrast down but only on the taskbar itself. Upon mousing over the taskbar it will fix itself. I thought this might have been a Windows issue and decided to reinstall Windows (was Windows 10) with a fresh copy of Windows 11. However this issue is still occurring despite this being a completely fresh copy of Windows, as well as it being Windows 11.

I've not changed any settings in my Nvidia control panel, does anyone know what is happening? Next time it happens I will screenshot my screen to see if this shows up in screenshots.

There doesn't seem to be anything specific causing the issue, its completely random.

2. sof006

sof006 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    P.S apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, seemed appropriate since it appeared to be happening since the newer drivers. Might be a coincidence though.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is some sort of interaction with another software that enables inactive content dimming.

From what i can tell the capability IS infact built into windows and can be turned on with notebook vendor utilities, once turned on it stays turned on even if the vendor utility is removed.

The nvidia driver shouldn't by itself enable the feature, so it might be cloud profile persistent in your windows settings, try changing the "Content type reported to the display" setting.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  4. sof006

sof006 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Thats interesting, I’ll need to take a look at this later tonight when I get home from work. I do have a laptop with windows 11 on it as well. I wonder if it’s a setting being carried over from my laptop to my desktop.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I just discovered that DisplayFusion has this capability but calls it Monitor Fading, they have assigned a hotkey default for it of Ctrl + Alt + F
    [​IMG]

fluidz likes this.
  6. sof006

sof006 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I've applied the change, i'll monitor for 24/48 hours and report back if I have any issues. If you hear nothing you can assume this to be resolved :p

7. sof006

sof006 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Just want to come back and say thank you, this appears to have worked. I haven't had any weird issues for weeks now.

fluidz likes this.