Tales of Arise

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by PowerK, Sep 9, 2021.

1. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I see no thread on this. It'll release/unlock within ~9 hours from now.
    Metacritic score started with 89 which is the highest score the Tales series has received.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Did they finally discover magic of arbitrary framerates or PC version is still locked to 30/60 fps?

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This is the first Tales game to run on Unreal Engine 4, like many Japanese developed games these days, so it will definitely support 60 fps and almost certainly unlimited framerates as well. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

Loved the demo on the PS5 but found the foliage pop in and overly aggressive LOD to be a bit distracting on the console, not so much in the interior locations but certainly in the wider open countryside locations. It certainly looked fantastic though visually running at 1620p and 60 fps on my LG B9 OLED TV with HDR. The colours really do pop.

However, I've decided to go for the PC version as it is very easy to tweak the LOD and draw distance in UE4 games to improve the visuals, something I've done with (the underrated) Scarlet Nexus, Dragon Quest XI and many other Japanese UE4 titles in the last couple of years.

Annoyingly, though my CDKeys.com key is showing as not being available until tomorrow (10th) but according to Steam this game does not unlock here in the UK until 10 or 11pm tonight anyway (9th September). Why Steam list a game as being out on 9th when it is one hour off the 10th is beyond me!

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I managed to play this for a couple of hours across last night, when it unlocked at 11pm, and this morning before work.

Initial impressions were not great as the game absolutely refused to recognise my Xbox One Elite v2 controller even though the same controller worked fine in Bandai Namco's other recent UE4 release, Scarlet Nexus. Turns out I wasn't alone as the Steam forum had dozens of posts from people having the same issue, including with the PS5 and Switch controllers. Turned out to be a right hassle to get it working which involved opting out of the Steam beta, which then turned out was not needed but in doing so Steam reset my games libraries to just the one on my C drive and removed all the other ones, requiring me to go through and re-add them manually! The workaround is to enable Steam Input for the game then from the game enable the official Tales of Arise configuration so in essence in seems this game is emulating the Xbox controller via the Steam Input... I think... whatever, it's different to how the controller support works in other UE4 games I own. Why this needs to be done for this game is anyone's guess as Steam lists the game as having controller support. Did the developers not test this???

Anyway, after 30 minutes of faffing about trying to get the controller to work, I was finally able to play the game and... it's very good. It runs well on maxed out 2560x1440 settings at 120 fps (and, yes, the game supports 30, 60, 75, 90, 120, 144, 165 and Unlimited framerates on my PC) and looks great too. There's some weird microstuttering - honestly it's barely noticeable really - during the more open environments but that may be due to running with an uncapped framerate on my ancient system. I might cap the game to 75 or 90 fps and see if that fixes it. Didn't check but I think this is using DX11 rather than DX12.

The only negative about the game's graphics, which alas is not fixable by the usual Engine.ini tweaks, is that NPCs and enemies can visibly pop (well, fade) in some 10-15 feet in front of your character, which is hard not to notice. However, at least the foliage and poor LOD transitions of the console demo can be fixed on PC so there is that. Hopefully, some enterprising soul can come up with a mod to fix this NPC issue because it really is the only gripe I have with what is otherwise a very nice looking game.

The combat, what little I have been able to experience in the cutscene heavy intro, is excellent and a lot of fun, with lots of flashy effects and bright colours. It really does look stunning on an HDR OLED TV which is how I played the PS5 demo. Speaking of which, there's now a PC demo, which oddly gives you an costume reward apparently for playing it but you cannot download or install this if you have the game. Since the demo came out AFTER the game was released then a good number of people are not going to be able to access this. What a strange decision. They really could have released the demo last week to generate more excitement in the run up to the game's release.

AsiJu likes this.
  6. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Does PS4/PS5/XSX version support HDR? Unfortunately, PC version doesn't appear to support HDR.
    Ultrawide AR is not supported either. However, since it's UE4 based, the mod (and/or hex edit) will soon be available.
    I like the artistic style but aggressive LOD is horrible. NPCs pop in almost right in front of you. I think they set the console's LOD settings across the board and forgot to increase it for PC version.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
  8. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well it does in a weird way i guess, desktop HDR runs well with the game's SDR colors

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, the PS5 version does support HDR, at the least the demo certainly did so I would expect it will be the same for the final release as well.

10. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    The year of our lord 2021 and still HDR support on PC is nonexistent for so many games. Developers just don’t get it that we want this. I was considering getting this on PC for a slightly better looking game but I think instead I’ll get it for XSX. I’m in the same boat I was in 2 weeks ago with Psychonauts 2. Why did I even build a new PC?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Still looking for .ini edits to fix the pop-ups, they are so close from the camera it's annoying

12. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
  13. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    LOD mods

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Is the combat turn based or do you control it yourself?

I might give a try as I've basically never played a JRPG and thought try something new.

15. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Combat is done in real-time. It's an action RPG.

AsiJu likes this.

16. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    This doesn't look too bad. I have briefly played one of the Tales games (Berseria) over at a friends, but wasn't that awed by it. This looks decent, though as a "on a sale" game.

17. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    Some 4K/60 gameplay videos I recorded of the "Beyond the Dawn" expansion.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Unfortunately, this new update for the DLC breaks the Arise-SDK mod that fixes the atrocious NPC pop in. I hope someone updates that as the last one, v29a ,was released back in September 2022. This mod is the only way to fix this issue as it cannot be done via the usual UE4 Engine INI tweaks.