Take-Two sends a C&D letter to GTA IV’s OpenIV mod team

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Nosein, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Nosein

Nosein Member Guru

Graphics Card::
    ASUS
    This is bull****. After GTAVs meh sp, modding was the only thing keeping me entertained.

Sod off rockstar. Just another to avoid.

Source

Edit: Just noticed this is already posted in the modding section.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    OpenIV didn't crack the GTA4 games... LOL...

It only lets people mod their games... they had to crack it seperately and guess what, it works on the STEAM versions with no cracks... Dumb and lame answers.

Total put off from Take Two. Will not buy anything from them again.

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

WC 980GTX
    Let's clarify here, Rockstar encouraged people to mod the SP version of the game provided it didn't mess with MP. Take Two are the guys to blame here not Rockstar, mind you they managed to f*ck the game up without the publishers involvement by releasing an utter dumpster fire of multi layered cash grab addons otherwise called the gunrunning DLC.

We did get something out of it though an unexpected Jimquistion... mind you Jim didn't seem too happy about having to wear a tie on Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYApM6kWzqo

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    Not sure why you blame a developer for a publisher action.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

NV GTX 970 Titan Cooler
    Its not R* most likely, its just TT hoping to capitalize off of a fraction of the free modding community (their mods == DLC you pay for, also probably a test for the new RDR). This was a terrible thing to do. Probably the beginning of the end of an era. I already feel myself quitting gaming.

6. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I'm just wondering is there a way to filter out by developers and publishers so we don't see their crap on Steam? It would send a huge message to Take Two if gamers could BLOCK the publisher so we never see their games and they lose business because of it.

Tell that to your board of directors.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 4GB
    Yeah... Rockstar didn't do this. As others have said, it was the publisher.

And, GTAV finally had a good campaign after GTA4 and San Andreas tedious, dull storylines.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Boooooo, I just started getting into modding GTAV as well.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
  10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

Asus GTX 970 Strix
    Why would they want to stop this now, 5 years after the game launched, seems somewhat a strange move, is the modding being used to ruin people onlines games, and if so don't they have some sort of online cheating in place to stop that?

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

HD7950
    The mod in question can only be used with single player, people cheating in multiplayer is a different thing entirely. This is just a poorly thought out anti-consumer ban by Take-Two, some believe it's so they can start pushing more DLC although I'm not sure how valid that is.

12. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Maha Guru

Gigabyte GTX1080 G1Gaming
    Yet everyone will be totally hyped up and buy Red Dead Redemption2 once it's out. xD

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

WC 980GTX
    Quite valid I would assume remember the guy behind Take 2 made a speech about how they believe they are not making enough chargeable DLC, under-monetizing, I believe is the term he used. That they should in future make more chargeable DLC but do it in such a way that the end consumer doesn't see it as a chargeable DLC or that they are getting shafted.

That's how I read it anyway.

Two weeks later the first DLC we get for GTA Online since that speech drops and the cost involved in unlocking stuff are nothing short of egregious, they haven't just double downed, they haven't trebled downed, but they have actually some how managed to quadruple down on the cost of the new content... AND then sticks it behind a timed wait wall which shockingly you can pay to skip.

Example, you want one of the new weapon skins.

First you have to buy a Bunker, then you have to either buy or do a mission to get materials to do the research to unlock the ammo (this is where the wait wall comes in, around 4 hours a pop I am told but if you pony up 250,000GTA$ you can skip it. Only problem their are 47 different things you can research and they are chosen totally at random, so if the thing you want is the last one that gets researched you can either wait the best part of 200 hours (and that's in Freeroam ONLY) or pay just under 12,000,000GTA$ oh but it doesn't stop there. You want to use the new weapon skin, then you're gonna need to buy a MOC so that you can modify your guns and oh yeah you still have to PAY to get the skin applied to your gun.

Part of me wants to believe that this isn't about DLC but the latest DLC is just so obvious in the way it's going about bleeding players accounts and the fact that the content is so unbalanced it essentially forces you to either get the new content or you're going to be toast if you play freeroam, it leaves little in the way other reasons for it.

Oh and Rockstar towing the line, despite having featured any number of modded content on their own newsfeed, any respect I had for the company just disappeared.

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-rockst...e-two-shutting-down-gtas-openiv-modding-tool/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

Asus GTX 970 Strix
    I read the open tool was being used by some nefarious sites and modders to not only ruin peoples gaming online experience, but some modders and GTAV modding site were even making money from the mod, offering hacked services to bypass the rockstars anti-cheat methods.......and if true then i cannot really blame them, i ****ing detest online cheaters, they are lower than snake ****.

I don't know, more will no doubt come out, it will be interesting to see what happens, if it is indeed truly to stop these scum cheaters, then i think it is safe to say the modding tool is gone for good, but if it was done simply to sell DLC, then the backlash might have the desired affect and force them to do a U-turn, although i have no idea just how bug the modding community is compared to how many players just play the plain game online and don't want to have to put up withy the cheating.

I can understand both sides though.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

Sapphire Fury Tri-X OC x2
    RIP GTA Modding. :(

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
    Take Two Interactive says no more mods for you.

Steam community says no more positive reviews for you.

[​IMG]

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

Tri-X R9 290 4G
    That'll show em LOL

[​IMG]

18. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Can't believe ARMA 3 is catching up to the TOP TEN! LOL

19. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Nooo!

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Must be painful for Rockstar to see all those reviews... and it's not even their fault : /