Taiwan smartphone makers warn Google attitude may lead to split in Android

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, though admittedly I'm not based in China.

That said I'd argue that embracing derivative platforms would be far worse, and likely to devalue Android as a whole. And justly so, for once.

3. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I dont get that..Google provides open source os..if you want it use it. It is a bit out of order if you get Android OS, modify it slightly and sell it as your own :S

4. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    'Sell' isn't the right word but that's exactly what Amazon is doing, for example.

It's just not something members of the Open Handset Alliance can do, as they've entered into an agreement to support and promote the platform along with Google.

If Google had to support everyone's homebrew version of the platform, and I'm not talking about UI modifications or bundled software here, that would be terrible.

5. bluewr

bluewr New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
    The bigger problem is not that Aliyun is making it's own varation of Android, it's a poor man copy attempt at copying Android without paying Google for it.
    But also it's own App store, have a ton of Pirated Android App(Paid app for free) that are there without the conesnt of the origional maker.
    Alot of news site just started bashing Google without doing any research(Forbes*cough*)

Indepth report into the Aliyun appstore
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...d-android-apps-many-from-another-pirate-site/

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    So, has it actually been confirmed that Google stepped in to stop the Acer launch or are we still just taking Alibaba's word for it? Last thing I read, neither Acer nor Google was talking about it.

7. bluewr

bluewr New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
  8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Hmm I guess the this is just heating up from when I posted about it last week...

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    maybe in the future all different companies build their own android copy and make some kind of agreement so they can share apps between android's 'distros' and kick google out of the game

10. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Imagine if somebody would pick iOS, modified it slightly and released it as their own iOS but still would use Apple store to gt apps etc :D I think it is a bit unfair by Aliyun. If they want something like that why dont they pick Android, develop some new cool features and contribute it towards Android?this way we all win

11. bluewr

bluewr New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
    Except Google isn't in the wrong here.
    A example for PC platform would be, if a Chinese company makes a online game platform, let's say called "Nuclear", except instead of selling Steam/Origin software, all of it is available for free, all you have to do is to install their "free" platform.

Or in phone case, if another company created an OS called, Jos, which has it's own shop that allows user to get all the iOS app for Free, without consent from t he origional app maker.