System wont boot but all fans and lights are on.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nips13, Jul 13, 2010.

1. nips13

nips13 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8800gts
    Hi last week whenever i shut down my pc the fans and lights would continue to run unless i switched of the mains power supply.

Even i know this isnt a good sign,i had a quick nose around inside my system and the fans, especially the heatsink on my cpu was well choked with dust.So i gave it all a clean out whilst trying not to disturb anything too much.

Now when i turn on the mains supply it starts running the lights and fans as before but when i press on the case power which used to boot it up, it refuses too.

I noticed that on the back of my power supply theres a light which is amber when on standby,which is when i turn on the mains and goes green when i push the case power.It then proceeds to alternate between,green and amber.

Does this mean my power supply has died or is it a symptom of something else?

Can anyone help?

2. loquefxp

loquefxp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX460 1GB
    It does sound like the power supply yeah, hopefuly it hasn't damaged/over heated your motherboard and cpu too.. does your motherboard have a small bulb on it anywhere? the light should be green if its okay..

3. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti HC
    First clean your computer inside (PSU also) with compressed air - you can buy it in cans at every electronic shop/PC shop.

Second try to reconnect all power supply cables going from PSU to motherboard/devices. Take the connector out, blow air on the cable connector and device connector and then put it back. Make sure no pins popped out of the connector - sometimes this happens when cable get crooked and too much pressure is applied when connecting. Just push the cables into connector just to be sure.

If that won't help, your PSU is probably dying and you should check if other PSU will worn normally in your PC.

4. nips13

nips13 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8800gts
    Ive an Asus P5K mother board that has a green light when i give it power.

5. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    I suppose you do not have any speaker connected to your motherboard.
    That can help when nothing is on the screen.

I looked at your PSU manual and nothing is written regarding green and red lights alternately active.

I would more think about a MB issue. Have you tried to clear the CMOS data? by using the jumper or removing the battery.

A dead battery can also have unpredictable effects depending on MB.
    Can you check if its voltage is still correct?

Good luck

6. loquefxp

loquefxp Member Guru

GPU:
    i'll put a tenner on the cpu being fryed.. do you have another board to test it on?

7. Nexevo

Nexevo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX275 GS
    What did you use to remove the dust, not a vacuum cleaner I hope :3eyes:

8. nips13

nips13 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8800gts
    I removed the battery and tried the jumper to clar the CMOS but im no expert at these things.

Dont have another system or a great deal of knowledge to test my cpu.

I wiped all the dust off my heat sink and fan but i did vacuum the bottom of the case afterwards.

varies between a broken PSU,CPU an MB depending who i talk too, unfortunately im no expert.

9. loquefxp

loquefxp Member Guru

GPU:
    Can the shop test your cpu?

10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Try taking out the RAM and putting it back in again, if one of them got dislodged slightly then that could also stop the system booting up.

11. lancerz

lancerz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1GB GTX 460
    Sounds like the power supply, and those dang power supplies like to take other parts with them. When my power supply went out it killed my MB, video card and my hdd. Still not sure what happened but i shut my pc down like normal and i saw and could smell smoke coming from the back of the psu.

12. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Ok since no one really suggested this and everyone already thinks you damaged something you should try this because you have nothing to loose anyways:

Have you got a soundcard connected to your pci? take it off, if you got any other PCI cards take them off too, and put them somewhere where electrostatic wont be an issue.
    Now take off your RAM and put it back in exact same slots make sure its properly connected, once that is done, take off your graphics card and place it back aswell, again make sure its properly connected (do not forget that after putting your graphics card back into the slot it should have 2 connectors attached to its side located near the cooler of the gfx card.

Now its time to try to boot your PC ON (remember all PCI slots must be empty) does it boot up? if it does you probably had a bad connection between the RAM or gfx card or PCI boards, (pci boards not properly connected have exactly the same problem as you have right now nothing on monitor pc fans running)

If it still didnt work you will have 1 last chance before officially calling it broken, take off your CPU cooler, if the thermal paste is still moist put the cooler back and make sure its standing strong in its supports (it must not shake) IF the thermal paste is hard scrap it off and buy a new 1 from IT store, its not that expensive, you must never turn on your pc without thermal paste or cooler on the cpu so always keep that in mind.

Try again, if it still doesnt work the only thing i can think of is you probably broke some components on your motherboard accidentally in the cleaning process.

Either way, you should not skip my post, sure it takes time, but then again, its cheaper than buying new components only to realise yours werent broken in the first place ;)

Give us results after doing these steps please.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  13. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Have you tried to start without the battery?
    by the way be sure that the CMOS jupper is not in clear position when your PC is power.

I had similar black screen as you have and this was due to a broken memory stick. But this happened "out of the box" when I started my Pc for the first time.
    So as Eugen suggested remove everything but I would first try to boot with CPU, graphic card and only one memory stick installed.
    if it is not working then remove that memory stick and try with another one ....

14. nips13

nips13 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8800gts
    Thanks for all the help so far everyone but unfortunately still no joy.

Tried everything Eugen suggested above barring the thermal paste im hoping to get to the shop and try that tommorrow.

My motherboard has a green light on it which it says is supposed to indicate when all the components are installed correctly.Although i dont know if it indicates a faulty component.

Also i put the jumper back correctly and tried booting without the battery as nono06 suggested above.No life either.

Think im gonna face up to taking it to a shop for a huge repair bill.

15. nips13

nips13 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8800gts
    Ive managed to get hold of another psu the same as the one i have in my machine.

Just finished swapping them over and also applied new thermal paste.

My machine now stays in standby fine with no lights or fans running.

When i switch it on at the case though, it begins to boot up but after a few seconds it powers down. It then cycles through power up/down until i turn it off again.

My motherboard continues to have a green light,ive tried using one of my memory sticks at a time.You think its likely my cpu is fried?

16. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Well I would more think about a MB issue but it is hard to say.
    could you try to put your MB out of the PC case and try to start it?
    I doubt a shortcut is creating the issue (because most of the time the PC won’t even start in that case) but since I have no other idea right now... still good to try.