System upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Trixar, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Trixar

Trixar Member

GPU:
    Strix RTX2070 Super
    My current build:
    Asus Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard
    Intel Core i5-6600K CPU overclocked to 4,7 GHz
    G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-2800MHz CL15-16-16-35 (2x8GB)
    Noctua NH-U12S (2 fans) CPU cooler
    Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super OC graphics card
    Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD system drive
    Corsair RM650i PSU

I was wondering if it’s time to upgrade my CPU, motherboard and RAM and whether I get any benefits out of this. I’d like to be economical and practical about it but at the same time get better performance compared to my current system otherwise there’s no point in spending money and get the same result.

So I was thinking about combination of Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard with Ryzen 7 3700x CPU. There’s one thing I don’t like on this motherboard though, which is how M.2 heatsinks are implemented that require removal of chipset shroud. I also consider Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra motherboard for it has 3 M.2 slots and better implementation of their heatsinks. But I have no idea about the quality of Gigabyte’s motherboards, UEFI and customer support as I’ve always used Asus motherboards and got accustomed to their products and ecosystem.

I’m not sure if my current RAM will work with these motherboards and CPU and if not, what speeds would you recommend, what capacity and how many modules should I get, two or four. Will 32GB be of any use for me and in the near future and should I get 4x8GB or 2x16GB modules?

Will my current CPU cooler be sufficient for Ryzen 7 3700x? If not, I still have my 3-years old Corsair H110i AIO cooler, which I actually consider selling while it lasts and get something like Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black or NH-U12A if my current CPU cooler is insufficient.

If this whole idea of upgrading currently not worth it, I was wondering if the next generation of Ryzen CPUs get even better. The way I understand it, this new 7nm manufacturing process brings new challenges and to me it looks like the entire platform has too many ‘rough edges’ like CPUs not being able to hit higher clocks, for instance. I also don’t particularly like active cooling (fan) on chipset. It’s one more source of noise, one more thing to get broken over time. Most of these fans are close or directly under the graphics card expelling hot air. I wonder if already next generation of motherboards will do without active cooling and most importantly, be cheaper than current generation.

And I’m not sure if there’s anything better to expect from the next generation of Intel CPUs in terms of price/performance and platform innovation. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’ve been able to achieve sustainable under any workload overclock for my CPU at 4,7GHz on all cores leaving all other settings including core voltage on ‘auto’. Temperatures under load (Cinebench R20, Asus RealBench, gaming) rarely get to 75 degrees Celsius max.

I game at 1440p resolution and in such titles as ‘Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’, ‘Shadow of the Tomb Raider’ my FPS hover around 90s with DX12 and around 70s with occasional dips to 60s with DX11 with all the graphics settings at max.

Occasionally I do some light photo editing/retouching after scanning my photo negatives from the past, I digitize my CDs, DVDs and some Blu-Rays, which sometimes require format conversion. Blu-Ray conversion actually takes hours with this CPU but I rarely do this.

So these are my thoughts. Any comments and suggestions are highly welcome!

Thank you in advance!

2. GarrettL

GarrettL Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    I’m not so sure you would see a dramatic increase in gaming with an upgrade.

Fight the itch for now, the x570 boards are still pricey. But there have been good deals appearing in the US with Black Friday sales.

3. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    you could do with more threads maybe. You should have gone with the 6700k back in the day, instead of the 6600k.

It would probably be pretty nice to upgrade to a 3700/3800 with some 3200mhz ram. It would cost quite some money though, new cpu, motherboard and ram. To be fair, you could stick with the 2800mhz ram.

It's a tossup. If you can sell your current parts for decent cash, hassle free, go for it.

I've been waiting to upgrade for a while but I don't see the point myself. I was thinking about 3800 ryzens but meh, for gaming, it's just money down the drain for +/- same performance, if not worse.

I'll wait for the next gen, maybe one after that to see what AMD and Intel have to offer.

toyo likes this.
  4. Trixar

Trixar Member

GPU:
    Strix RTX2070 Super
    I decided to make an upgrade. For the motherboard I chose MSI MEG X570 UNIFY, which is practically a barebone MSI MEG X570 ACE. And this Black Friday I was able to buy Ryzen 7 3800x for the price of 3700x. Now I have another dilemma.

I’m looking for compatible memory modules. I’d like to fill all 4 memory slots mostly from aesthetical point of view. But I was wondering if it will have some negative effect as opposed to using only 2 memory slots especially after reading warnings about using all 4 slots instead of 2 on X570 motherboards as well as seeing ASRock recommendations here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-memory-recommendations-asrock,39756.html . I’d like to buy DDR4-3200 memory kit consisting of 4 memory sticks 8GB each. Will it also matter whether memory sticks are single-rank or dual-rank? I’m not planning to manually overclock the memory and will only apply XMP memory profile. It’s also likely that I won’t see much benefit from manually overclocking the CPU.

I narrowed my search down to the following kit, which is in MSI’s QVL and marked as suitable for filling all 4 memory slots on this motherboard or at least that’s how I interpret their QVL:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 (SKU: CMK32GX4M4B3200C16W).

Can I be sure I won’t have any problems with motherboard or CPU accepting this memory kit? Will it have any negative impact on performance when using XMP memory profile as opposed to using memory of the same capacity consisting of 2 memory modules with exactly the same timings (Corsair, SKU: CMK32GX4M2B3200C16W)? Which one is better from performance and stability point of view or are they equally good? So far MSI didn’t give me a straight answer.

5. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2080 Ti
    Gigabyte has had a bad rap for many years and I did not have good experience. Some years later, here we are I have a GB Aorus board and a GB 2080 Ti.

They have stepped up their game, and after a lot of research on the best board for overclocking -- it was clear Aorus was one of, if not the best option.

If you're into playing all the latest titles I am sure you will start to notice issues with the CPU, I had a 2700K before my 9700K and it was fine with my 2080 Ti -- until I played BF5 and I found out 4 cores doesn't cut it.

6. GarrettL

GarrettL Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Im running the Corsair memory you stated at 3200 no issues with 16GB in an Asus TUF

7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    I am just at moment completing my stuff(for friend actually)
    Its MSI b450 tomahawk max, 3700x with noctua ds15, 16gb 3200c14 ram. Target gfx 5700xt is on the way, but I tested it with vega64 and must say, installation was flawless. W10 1909. Newest chipset drivers. All updated.
    Tried only 2 games so far, last Alien, and Americas army proving grounds. Compared to what I remember from very good CPU I had, 5775c@4.1 ghz which is kinda better than ur oc'ed 6700k, results at 1080p are much better. Frames more consistent. And higher. Not a lot, gfx is brake here, but was better.
    Ur ram I think is good enough to try oc it to 3200 or more with some tightened timings, so u can save here. If not, oc UK have now team group b dies memory, 3600c 16 for 104 pounds. U can push them 3800 no problem same timings with just more voltage...

anticupidon likes this.
  8. Bibanu

Bibanu New Member

GPU:
    Rx 480 8gb
    Hello,
    Last month i got myself a Ryzen 3800x, Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 and for Ram 2x8 gb HyperX Predator RGB 3200mhz. While not advertised like Gskill memory it works fine at 3200mhz. I just selected the profile in bios and voila.

9. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    The "zombies ;) " are :
    • RAM
    • PSU
    • CPU COOLER
    • M.2 storage
    ............so only mainboard and CPU.... (go for INTEL [you know better])

EDIT : Upgrade at this same moment ( *BUT NEXT YEAR)
    *You will not regret!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  10. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    EDIT2: @Kool64 is right, I am wrong. Sorry about misleading you, wasn't intended.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019

11. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    That's not really true with the 3k series chips. It definitely was a problem with 1k and maybe a little less so with 2k. With 3k dual rank has no impact and there is far less(if any) issues pushing ram to at least 3200(supported speeds) Of course if you end up with garbage Hynix MFR ram like me (2x16 C18 3600) then you might have an issue with 4x sticks.

386SX likes this.