System troubleshooting; shuts off immediately after powering

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by salanos, Dec 26, 2011.

1. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Intel Core i7-3930K
    Corsair H80
    2x 4x4GB (32GB) G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-1600 C9
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    Palit GTX 560Ti Twinlight Turbo 1024MB GDDR5
    Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
    ASUS XONAR DX
    LG DVDRW
    LG DVDROM
    Seagate Barracuda 3TB (ST3000DM001)
    Western Digital 6401AALS
    Western Digital 2TB FAEX
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT Snow
    Corsair AX1200

OK, so I got my X79 machine, I had the retailer assemble it for me and do a power test. It worked A-OK, I went through the UEFI BIOS checking all statuses and peripheral identities, nothing seemed wrong.

Now that I've brought it home and re-routed a few cables, connected my old HDDs (the 6401AALS, FAEX), old optical drives (both of them) and old sound card, there seems to be a major problem; the system won't POST - if I hit the power button (whether on my case or directly on the motherboard) the system starts up for a second or two (fans, LEDs, Voltiminder and status check LEDs on the Rampage) then abruptly shuts off.
    It turns back on again later however, but then the process repeats; it doesn't stay on.
    If it helps or means anything to you guys; there is an audible clicking everytime the machine starts up, which appears to come from the AX1200. It also clicks when it shuts down. And if I shut down the mains, the AX1200 appears to hold enough charge to leave the Rampage's Start Button on for several seconds.

I'm not sure if I messed up something while rewiring, or have a short circuit, or have a dead component (I noticed my TLT's fans aren't spinning either) or if my AX1200 somehow died in transit. I've tried various things like reseating all connectors, removing both the graphics card and audio card, removing all of the HDD bays (including the drives) and even trying my old HX1000's power cable or different mains sockets.

What's wrong? I need to get this machine active as soon as possible.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. jayman

jayman Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor AX7990 x 2 3GB
    Did you try this?!

Try taking out all the ram but one stick and reboot. and if that does nothing unhook your CD/DVD drives one at time, it that doesn't work try taking out your sound card, The sound your hearing is normal I have that to ( driver loading & unloading ). Make sure you didn't pull a wire/wires lose when you rerouted your wires.! Also try unhooking HDD's....

Jayman

3. stewiemcpain

stewiemcpain Member Guru

GPU:
    Gts 250 1GB@864/1170/1900
    Well iuf it posted ok before, then:

Take out one by one these components until you see which one dont let you post.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Check to make sure all power cables are firmly plugged in.... It's possible one may have come loose while you were "rerouting cables" and adding harddrives.

5. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    I tried all of those suggestions before coming here, multiple times. None of them made any difference, the system will shut down immediately after a second or two. I've tried other options such as a CMOS clear, but it still results in the same result, a power on, then sudden shut down, rather than simply a failed POST.

The problem(s) appear to be power related and I am doubtful there is a failed component as the RIVE has a line of diagnostic start-up sequence LEDs to indicate its start-up check, CPU, DIMMs, GPU and boot-drive. If one is found defective the light will remain illuminated. I cannot find any indication the board is designed to shut itself down in the event of failure.

The most likely culprit to me appears to be the power supply, but it seems dubious for the AX1200 to have died on the way home.

6. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    possible culprits:

cpu cooler got hit, needs repaste
    asus being picky with rams, try other model/maker if possible or just 1 kit
    rewiring gone bad

actually where i would start is: remove all rams and power up, then try again with 1 kit

edit: i would actually get it back to shop and let em do it, or call em and agree with what to do

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Fresh new PC that dies after you take it home? That happened to someone I built a PC for. At the time I blamed it on the weather. It was really cold, raining, and damp for a few days and possibly while taking the PC in/out to the car, there was some condensation build up. Trying to turn on a PC with a damp PSU could probably have been an instant KO. I replaced the PSU and it was up and running again. Tested the old PSU and it was for sure dead, and I knew it was working before because I installed windows with it.
    So I suggest to do a PSU swap.

Don't think it's the RAM because dead RAM usually means fans spin, but no display. Possible it could be the mobo too, but I've only seen a few cases where only old dusty mobo's powered up and shut down everytime.

Although I know you checked cables, but did you check the +/- headers to the motherboard power/reset button? If it's backwards it could cause the problem you are having. Double check with the manual or download the manual on the website if you don't have it.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Two possible causes

PSU

Motherboard

Test accordingly. It's 99% of the time one of these two.

9. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    ...Okay, update.
    I have no idea what happened, but I randomly unplugged my H80's molex power connector and reseated it, then fixed the side panel back on (previous attempts had been without the side panel connected).

It started up and worked, but the H80's connector had come out and the waterblock wasn't moving liquid.

Well, I reseated the H80's connector again and it worked fine, but then knocked out after a while.

I checked everything again and seated my right side panel on again, and now, bizarrely, nothing is wrong - I've managed to install Windows and am presently installing drivers right now. Seems the culprit was in fact a loose connection, but exactly which, is unclear. But, most likely that molex connector for the H80.

10. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    could still be asus mobo being picky

wonder what happens if u completly shut it down and unplug power cord... (beware it may not boot tho ;))

11. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Actually daym, yeah that's possible for molex to be the problem. I remember a while back I has some cathodes with molex connections, where if I touched/moved the cable, the PC would turn off. I no longer use cathode lights or molex fans after that.

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Most of the time it really is something as simple as a loose connection/component not plugged in properly. Glad everything is running correctly.

13. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    ...Great, now, that I've got everything on the table, plugged in my modem, suddenly it's doing it again. I haven't a clue what's going on now, it wasn't even moved from the table.

14. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    Wonder if all the standoff's are making proper contact so that the motherboard is grounded properly to the chassis.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Had something similar on a gigabyte mobo at work. Endless boot cycle without post. Even had it twice. The solution back then:

- Disconnect the mobo from the power socket
    - Remove any other source of electrical power, including the battery from the mobo

- U can leave equipment like mice, keyboards, etc attached.
    Wait 5 to 10 mins.

System magically boots.

Funny enough it got resolved by gigabyte in a newer firmware.

16. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    Removed the side panel... tightened the H80's molex again. It worked... for a while.

Took the damn thing off the table, put the side panel back on. Now it's working again.

No bloody idea what the flip is going on now.

EDIT: randomly powered off at some point earlier. Continued functioning afterwards. Still don't know the cause, is the AX1200 freaking out over something?

17. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    try get 1 "normal" mem kit and see if it happens, maybe have a look qualified ones

18. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    I was having a very similar problem to what you are having, started this thread:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=355768

While I was able to get rid of the boot loop by using different memory, I am still getting random BSOD's, so I started this thread:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=356157

You stated that you did try one ram chip at a time and you still had the same problem, but did you try a different type of memory? This is what stopped the boot loop problem I was having.

19. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    I think the RIVE's shipping BIOS isn't the latest one, I'll try to flash it later. "Better memory compatibility" is listed in the change logs for the BIOS versions.

I haven't mentioned this yet, but sometimes if I turn off the power supply while it's auto-shut off and flip the switch again, the system won't respond to the power button, till I completely cut off the power and wait for what appears to be any residual charge to die off.

I'm not exactly getting a boot loop though, the system cuts out before it even shows any status displays. The RIVE has a two-digit status display as well, but if the problem is occuring it shuts the whole system off before the RIVE can even display anything.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  20. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    Does your board have a port 80 display on it? This is a two digit LCD that shows the post progress - my board has this and was stopping at code "b9" before it would turn off.

I also had the same issue with the power button not doing anything as part of the process.

Can you confirm if you have tested the system with a different type of ram than you originally tried?