System Shock 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Dec 8, 2015.

1. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    System Shock 3 is a game they can't afford to screw up, but thankfully Starbreeze is out of the picture.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    remake is also coming

ramthegamer and cerebus23 like this.
  3. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    I have high hopes for this. This time it seems that the enemies are a bit more aggressive, I sort of even hope that some other AI will overwrite Shodan and see itself as something better, an evolved version of it perhaps.
    "the many sings to us.."

The Crysis engine has never really performed that well in indoor settings but the devs demonstrated that it could be used very well in Prey, which was made by many members of the old SS2 team.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    We'll see. They sure have big shoes to fill...

user1 and cerebus23 like this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Looks cool... I remember seeing the ladies head in lots of gaming magazines but I've never played the original.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I fear it's gonna be a dumbed down console port, like most games. The original was a computer game, not just a video game. I don't think this is what we're getting here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Witcher29 likes this.
  8. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    That's assuming they'll actually get to a release state. Underworld Ascendant still isn't even good enough for an open Beta...

Those are reviews written last week for a game that was released nearly a year ago...and apparently already received 4 major patches.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    either way look at the excited people.

i got ss and ss2 enhanced on gog. i yet to play either though i did muck around in ss2 some kinda waiting on the remake.

modernizing some of the wonky out of the "old school" games is a good thing, the og ss2 the controls are what arrows and other stuff that would not fly today? i did try the og ss also gotten with gog and that is a chore to play with the ancient keyboard layout.

you can make the dumbing down optional also by say making a map hud optional, or markers, some love this option it rewards exploration make games longer when your not following waypoints all the time. be creative have the ai mess with you randomyl giving you maps and taking them away as part of the gameplay.

think outside the box if you really want to push any kind of innovation today, shy of some giant leap in AI that blows our ape minds, which is not going to happen until we see quantum computing and then odds are we will have to really work to handicap the AI vs the apes. ;p

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    I'm a big fan of System Shock 2 and have been modding that game for almost two decades, but it looks like the only thing they kept was the name.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I love System Shock 2... and I'm really excited for this one.

Seems people are ready to jump on the hate, and instantly say this one will fail, be awful and so on.
    It's different from SS2, the footage doesn't look good enough...
    It's almost as if people forgot how different SS2 was from SS. Or that all we've seen of SS3 is pre-alpha footage. It's why there's been no release date/window.

Never mind that the team making SS3 contains people from SS2.

12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Im more excited for the remake tbh. SS2 was one of my favorite games back then. And i didnt play SS1.

Kolt likes this.
  13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I was excited for the remake, then Nightdive blew through their kickstarter money and made the statement that they had drifted too far from what the original SS was. So they had to "re-focus"...
    Let people go and started over.

Chances are it'll still be good, but, that just made me step back and think... "Probably best to see how it turns out first"

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    SS-II was insane. Half-Life level insane. so im following this one with big hopes.

Hypernaut likes this.
  15. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    I remember buying both SS2 and Half-Life at the same time - Think they were released close to each over. I preferred Half-Life for the pick up and play so I shelved SS2!

Years later after playing Bioshock i had another look at SS2. I literally played it from Friday afternoon through to the following Monday night, taking odd breaks in between. The game just blew me away from the level design, atmosphere and soundtrack. Very few games have gripped me that much over the years to literally stay glued to the PC/Console like i was with that game.

Hypernaut likes this.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Actually... about a year apart.
    HL came out in 98, SS2 in 99. But... I could see that.

I actually ignored HL in favor of SiN. I was far more interested in SiN and it released like a month after Half-Life did, so I put my money there.
    Ended up getting HL later, and while I love it... I do remember having more fun with SiN.

17. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    I was sure those 2 released close together, my memory is pretty poor these days especially when thinking back to the late 90s :D

SiN was a great game too, I even liked the follow up that unfortunately never got completed.

18. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Well, Prey is not exactly a dumb game, so more advanced games can still be released..

Hypernaut likes this.
  19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    its about time for another Sci fi in door atmospheric game, as the last one i enjoyed was Alien: Isolation, such a great atmospheric experience, probably the best sound design of any game of late.

20. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I have a feeling we’ll see Alien Isolation 2 with RDNA2 and ray tracing.

I have similar feelings about Prey 2.

Tomorrow will be the 25th anniversary of System Shock. Might be some more news then...

ramthegamer likes this.