system not booting up

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nickdoorgen, Nov 11, 2011.

1. nickdoorgen

nickdoorgen New Member

GPU:
    geforce 460
    hi there i got a problem...my PSU is a OCZ fatality 550watts...i purchase a new parts(m/board,cpu(Phenom x 2 555)) the only thing im using back is the PSU,GPU(Geforce gtx 460) & Hard drive. I have a gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 m/board using ddr3 1600. my problem is...whenever i power the system on...it would boot up for a sec & shut down...power on by itself & shut down again. i try the PSU on another system(not so demanding like mines..onboard GPU,Athlon x2) and it boot up but when i try it back on my sytem...it start to freek out. I take out the memory,hard drive just to see if it boot up & its the samething...cant boot up. Can this be a PSU problem causing the system to act this way?? i try a 4pin PSU bcuz i dont have any more 8pin psu to test out ....i try it on the board & its the samething...dont know if it need the 8pin instead to boot up.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Yes, it might be the PSU.
    My system was also like that when my Corsair HX520 was on its last breath.
    It's like an infinite reset loop, right?

3. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Soulds like PSU going 6 feet under.... but yeah, you need the 8 pin (4pin+4pin) if the mobo has that power requirement.

4. nickdoorgen

nickdoorgen New Member

GPU:
    geforce 460

5. mutate44

mutate44 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB WF 1293 Boost
  6. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    It will be an OK PSU, just don't expect on CF or SLI on that !

7. nickdoorgen

nickdoorgen New Member

GPU:
    geforce 460
    well guys...after changing the power supply etc...i was having the same issue.....dont know what was going on but then i take out the power switch from the case that attach to the motherbaord & ..boom...i find out that it was the PS cause the system to act that way!!??? i replace it with the reset switch & everything work perfect. so what did i learn...not only psu,memory can cause the system to act that way but also the power switch can play a part too....so far the system is running A+