System Lock Up & BSOD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FloatingSheep, Jul 22, 2011.

1. FloatingSheep

FloatingSheep Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Hey guys.
    This has been bugging me for a while now and I can't seem to get my head around it, my system will run fine for a random amount of time (usually only 10 - 20 minutes maximum) and then it will start slowing down and visually lagging, even while it is sitting idle on the desktop screen.

Following this the system will completely lock up and go on to a BSOD, now myself I'm a bit pants when it comes to understanding these error codes so I'd really appreciate if anyone could enlighten me on what the issue is and how I'd go by fixing it.
    I've tried totally wiping my system clean and installing fresh however that hasn't worked either.

I took a couple of photos of the errors on the blue screen which can be seen below.

http://i.imgur.com/0yJxY.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/HQTiz.jpg

Thanks in advance guys.
    - Sam

2. CDMC

CDMC Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX560 2GB
  3. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Those generally are unrecoverable driver crashes.

Some driver somewhere is having issues. It could be the one crashing, or it could be a conflict with another driver.

The best solution [if this is a driver conflict/error] (not least painful, but most likely to fix it well), is to download all the latest drivers, format, re-install, load all your latest drivers (I assume you have a separate OS partition so that you can prepare for your re-install before the re-install...).

What I like to do is save an image of the OS partition after a clean install, but before drivers are loaded. That way it's easy to go back to a 'clean slate' if this sort of thing happens.

Also, that driver (nvrd64.sys) indicates that it could also be a hardware issue with your nvidia raid controller. Drivers tend to crash when the hardware they handle starts to have errors.

It could also be an issue with some disk(s) you have on the controller... (Using an SSD by any chance?).

-scheherazade

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. FloatingSheep

FloatingSheep Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I could give formatting it and running a clean slate a try, and yeah I did recognize the nvrd64.sys driver as an nvidia driver, I just wasn't sure as to which one it might be.
    Also I'm not running on an SSD at the moment, just a pair of 500GB hard drives running in raid 0.

5. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    The top code is a reference to a driver crash.

The number codes below reference (in hex) windows system file damage.

solutions:

Advanced Computer User Solution (manual update):

1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.

2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.

3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.

4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.

5) Click Next on the confirmation window.

6) Restarts the computer when the restoration is finished

solution 2

1) Download (0x000000d1) repair utility.

2) Install program and click Scan button.

3) Click the Fix Errors button when scan is completed.

4) Restart your computer.

solution 3

bring up a comand prompt and type:chkdsk /f
    (it will tell you drive is lock and the scan can run on reboot, tell it "y" for yes, it's ok)

You MUST have your OS disk on hand, you told a built in utilty to check all system files and fix any damage they find.

You can also try "glary Utilities".

In all honesty, once you damage system files, you best bet is to back up all data and reload-fresh install.

6. FloatingSheep

FloatingSheep Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Ok guys, appreciate the help. I'll give these options a bash.