System instability

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by anthony, Nov 26, 2008.

1. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    ok guys i tryied to oc my q6600 and my computer failed to post so i reset the bios

my rig is as shows and i run 4x 1gb dimms.
    the weird thing is that after clearing the bios the post screen would come up but wouldnt finish the mem test and lock. so i pulled out all the dimms except for one and i was able to get to the bios... on occasion the system would lockup while in the bios which i find very strange. because i didnt think the bios used ram.

anyways i was able to get in the bios and save all the settings to defaults and reinsert all for dimms. i am currently running the vista mem test to see if its my mem thats cause any issues. do you guys think it could be anything else? i find it strange that after clearing the bios that the computer would lock while in the bios at all defaults so i wonder if its my mobo.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i think screen locks ups (screen will freeze no mouse movement etc cant alt delete) are ram related issues.

in your case you will have to check your ram at stock values...perhaps one is faulty.

also some types of ram dont like certain mobos. i found out the other day my ram isnt officially supported by evga.

dont oc ram. when you oc u might need to add a little bit of voltage to the ram (1.9v should be plenty). mine is on auto atm and the timings as well.

no lock ups in 48 hrs so i think my probs are solved. (saved me buying more ram phew).

3. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    i left the ram at the stock 800mhz unlinked and at 2.1v which is the upper end its rated for, i really cant figure out whats wrong. the computer was running stable at 2.7ghz with an unlinked mult with the ram set to 800.