System fans ramping up for no reason

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by qqiiipp, Jun 10, 2018.

1. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    Hello,

So I have this strange issue over here... Although my temps are withing normal range, all of the system fans are just ramping up when the system is under moderate load, for example gaming and streaming.
    Even when, the CPU never goes to a 100% (it barely touches 50)

It is strange because I can run a 1 hour Aida64 stress test, and the CPU will never go above 75-ish C, and same for the other components as well. The fans will never ramp up the way they do when I play and stream.

The MB is MSI B350 PC Mate.
    CPU is 1800x

Although I have set the "smart fan control" profile for the system fans to be linear at around 800rpm and for the CPU to be a smooth line from 800 to 1500rpm depending on the temperature.

I have also tried turning the smart fan control completely off from the bios, the results were even worse... All of the system fans were defaulting at full speed, and the CPU fan had a 300rpm starting point up to around 900rpm.

Needless to say, the CPU was getting hot as hell with those settings, and the system fans were super loud as well.

The CPU cooler that I'm using is the Be Quiet Pure Rock with it's stock 1500rpm fan, the rest of the system fans are Noctuas NF-F12 PPC(2000rpm) for the front intake and a couple of Noctua NF-S12 for the the rest of the chesis fans.
    [​IMG]

This image was taken during gameplay and streaming at the same time.
    As it can be seen, all of the system fans spiked at one point, for a very short period of time(1-2 seconds) and then back to normal.

Regardless of the settings that I use in the bios, with or without the smart fan control option, it does the same thins, the only difference is that without it, overall temps are higher and the system is also much louder.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Stressing just the CPU is different than stressing CPU+GPU.

I imagine with your 970 dumping heat into the case, it makes other temps go up, hence the fan speeds.

3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
  4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi, after many years of trying different manufacturers ive always ended up back with Asus until now, currently running an Msi z270 Camo Squad which im happy with but it took a while to get the system fans to run quietly but give enough airflow, while command center looked good it sucks at controlling the fans so ended up fine tuning through the bios...the msi fan controller lacks the option to set a profile to control all sys fans in one go.

5. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    The BIOS should give you option for all the fans. Set it to manual and fine tune it so the RPM will never go up. Or just select silent mode and see what happens. Man 2000rpm for the Noctua is too loud, on top of that the other fans. As for noise, most of it comes from the GPU if you leave it alone or not use any software to control fan speed. As soon as you launch a game they will spin and sound like a Jet.

6. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    Actually the CPU fan is one of the quiet ones in my system.
    I did put the fans on "manual" trough the bios and set most of the fans at a normal 800 to 900rpm which I found to be a nice middle ground between noise and performance.
    Even though they do work on the specified fan speeds through the bios, I find it weird that all of a sudden they just ramp up for like 1-2 seconds at full speed, then back down again... it's like the manual fan profile through the bios just decides to turn itself off and ramp everything to the max, and then all of a sudden goes like "oh right, I had a fan profile" and back to normal again.