System Environment Path corrupted by AMD Catalyst driver info & repair instructions.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Watcher, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
    Hello:

I have discovered the following information which I think that all AMD driver users should be aware of.

This information involves the " System Environment Variables " of the Windows operating system.

For an explanation of " System Environment Variables " please read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable#Windows_GUI_forced_variable_expansion

& System Environment Path Here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PATH_(variable):

What I have discovered is two fold:

1) AMD x64 video driver users are having an invalid value being added to the " System Environment Path "

2) AMD video driver is adding the same AMD path values and also duplicating these path values to the " System Environment Path " every time you install a new or reinstall an AMD video Driver.

Now you can edit the " System Environment Path Variables " from a command prompt but we are going to use a free program called "Rapid Environment Editor " which you may download from here to make the job of editing and viewing of the error(s) easier:

http://www.rapidee.com/en/index.php

I highly recommend the use of this program. I have used this program on many different computers, always without any issues. This program allows you to:

1) Change any of the " System Environment Variables " on your computer.
    2) Allows you to back up and restore any changes that you have made.
    3) Allows you to change the order of the Path values.
    4) Allows easy viewing of the " System Environment Variables "

Please note that I will not be held responsible for the use or the misuse of this program. I'm not affiliated with the programmer. I have however given suggestions and a donation towards the programmers efforts.

You can download the installer version or the portable version of "Rapid Environment Editor." Both version work equally as well.

When you run the program, you will be presented with a window that looks like the following picture. This picture is from the programmers web site.

[​IMG]

If you look at the programs lower left window, you will see the would " Path= " with Path value variables after the " = " sign.

Here is where you will find the incorrect values that I am referring to. You may also find incorrect values that have nothing to do with AMD video drivers.
    You may also want to remove these incorrect values. I'm more concerned with the constant incorrect values that the AMD video drivers are creating on every video driver install or change.

Here is a picture of what my Win 7 x64 path looks like with all incorrect values removed:

[​IMG]

I do not have a picture of the incorrect values that are added at this time because I never took one. I always fix the values after I install or reinstall an AMD video driver. I will update this post with a picture the next time I change my AMD video driver. You will easily be able to spot the incorrect values by examining the " Path " variables.

Now keep in mind that your " Path " values may not look the same as mine because of the different programs that are installed on your computer, but you should see the same characteristics.
    1) No red lines which indicate the path value is incorrect.
    2) No duplicated path values meaning that you see the same value more then once
    3) The " C:\Windows " also represented as " %systemroot% " directories should be in front of any other path values.

I'm sure some of you are asking yourself what difference will this make. Millage always varies by users, but I find that the computer runs better with these invalid and duplicated values removed as referenced to by the second Wikipedia site I have listed earlier in this post.
    I hope this post allows my fellow AMD video card users to find and eliminate these incorrect values.

Best Regards

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Environment Variables can also be accessed from My Computer/Properties/Advanced System Settings.

Or in regedit; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment...

3. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You are correct. There are different location to access the " Environment Variables " that are being used on the computer. Since you are aware of this information, it suggest that you are more familiar with computer settings then others computer users might be.

Writing this post, I wanted the field to be even for the advanced computer user and the average computer user by using the aforementioned program.

Feel free to examine and edit the path values by any method that you wish. However, be aware that when users post a screen shot of the program, you may not be able to reply in kind because you are not viewing the " Environment Variables " in the same manner as the person that is asking the question.

4. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    I don't have any incorrect values.

5. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Do you see any duplicated values? Every time I install AMD video drivers, doesn't matter what version of driver, I have one incorrect path value and 2 duplicated paths added? I will perform a video driver install this evening and post the picture. Running out of time this morning before I'm off to work.

6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    I had C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86
    Which was Invalid.

Thanks a lot for the heads up. I didn't know about this till now.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I wonder if this is why it takes about 10mins for CCC to open.....:3eyes:

8. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This error is present on every X64 Windows 7 machine that uses AMD Catalyst drivers.

9. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    In Windows 8 x64 I only have C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static

10. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hello:

I have taken a screen shot of my System Environment Path values after I performed a uninstall and then a reinstall of version 12.10 AMD Catalyst driver.

[​IMG]

You can see that the first line " C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64 " path value is the same as the sixth line.

You can see the second line ( in red ) is invalid because the directory does not exist on a Windows 7 X64 computer.

Both these lines are not required and can be removed.

The AMD Catalyst driver is not checking to see if the path value of " C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64 " is already present in the path command.

The AMD Catalyst driver is writing an invalid path value into the path " C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86 "

As stated earlier, I hope this post allows my fellow AMD video card users to find and eliminate these incorrect values.

Best Regards

11. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan X
    got the invalid one, but no duplicate. Actually it won't hurt too much for performance, and won't do any harm even if some invalid path in there.

12. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't agree. Any program that enters invalid entries into any part of the OS should be considered unacceptable.

It does do harm! It is referencing a path that does not exist which causes a delay in every program on my computer!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  13. Miken420

Miken420 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Thanks for this!

Funnily enough, the only incorrect value I had was from Nvidia Physx lol!

14. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon RX580 4GB
    For quick solve of the problem click with right button on the Path=... and choose cleanup path. This will automatically delete duplicated and empty elements :)

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Nothing problematic here, there's a path entry for AMD but it's correct and there's no duplicates or anything such.

16. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX-970
    I don't have any duplicate path entries.
    You can also open a cmd window and enter 'set' (without ''). If you scroll a little up you'll see the current path value.

17. locust76

locust76 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6990M CF 2GB
    PATH Environment variables are pretty inconsequential. As long as the correct ones are in there, incorrect ones aren't really going to make any difference.

Path variables define directories (folders) that are to be searched whenever a program is executed. Back in the days of DOS, this was a real timesaver, but nowadays the user pretty much has nothing to do with PATH.

For example, if I wanted to be able to execute c:\mypath\myprogram.exe from anywhere by just typing myprogram.exe, I would add c:\mypath to the PATH variable.

That means if I were to be using the command prompt somewhere else in the directory structure (say if I were in c:\windows) and I typed "myprogram.exe," it would search all the PATH directories for myprogram.exe and run myprogram.exe from my current directory. Otherwise it would say "'myprogram.exe' is not recognized as an internal or externalcommand, operable program or batch file."

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    386SX likes this.
  18. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    CCleaner has an option to clean the "environment path" which seems to have fixed mine automagically. :)

19. Jay Dee

Jay Dee New Member

GPU:
    2941MB ATI Mobility
    The app tells me - You have no write access to the system variables.

I have a lot of red lines when I opened the app.

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\Broadcom 802.11;;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\syswow64;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\SysWow64\;C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\SysWow64\syswow64;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static
    C:\Program Files\Broadcom\WHL\SysWow64\syswow64
    windows_tracing_logfile=C:\BVTBin\Tests\installpackage\csilogfile.log

All the above are in RED. I cannot delete as the app wont let me. Please help.

20. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You should be able to edit these values as long as you are running the program as an Admin. If you are unable to edit these values then maybe some other issue is present with your Windows installation?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Jay Dee likes this.