System died while gaming, wont post with gpu inserted.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Gedas87, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Gedas87

Gedas87 New Member

GPU:
    GTX550ti 1GB
    Hello i have a problem and i'm looking for some help.
    First my pc specs:

Cpu intel e8400
    Motherboard ga-ep45-ds3l
    Gpu gtx550ti 1gb
    Ram ddr2 4gb 2x2048
    Psu corsair ax650
    Case fractal define arc 2

It's old pc with some very old parts and some not so old.

So the problem.
    While i was gaming my PC just died out of the blue. Pressing power button on the case did nothing, no lights, no fan noise nothing. So i did all the diagnostic routine, one by one disconnecting and reconnecting components. When I pulled out graphics card pc powered on no problem, when i put it back in, pc wont power on not even fans. Next thing i did is i grabed my old 9800gt, this card is dying it has artifacting problem, but with this card my pc is able to power on and i have video signal on monitor and everything is working fine. So my conclusion is that my gtx550ti is dead, probably it's shorting out and then psu protection kicks in and thats why my whole pc is not recieving any power. Am i correct, what are your thoughts? I'm still not 100% sure it's gpu fault because i never experienced such suden death of graphics card, usually it's starts with artifacting, or atleast temperature rising. I always had msi afterburner osd running so i know that this card never reached even 70 C on load and this pc case has good air flow and dusts are cleaned regulary.
    I would really appreciate your opinions on this matter, i need to be sure if it is gpu that went bad before i go and order new card, money is running low atm :(

Edit: PC wont start when 6pin connector is plugged in the gpu, without it computer starts fine, but i still dont have any picture on the monitor.
    I papper cliped another psu(zalman 600w it has more than enough amperage on 12v rail), connected gtx550ti to it via 6pin and nothing happened, without gpu this psu works fine using papper clip method.
    So i think it's safe to say gtx550ti is dead something is causing a short on it, i forgot to mention it was just over 4 years of age so maybe it's a natural death, i'm going to order 750ti and i'l see what happens then.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Nhirlathothep

Nhirlathothep Active Member

GPU:
    Many GPUs
    my gpu from 2008 it s still perfect, 4y it s not old

3. Sildur

Sildur Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    You could try to bake your gpu, since it seems dead you won't loose anything from it. You end up with either the card staying dead, or a working card I guess.

4. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2070XCUltra
    Sounds like a short and you don't really get much of a warning with that. It happens and its dead. You could try and look for the short, it can be tough to find at times or not even be visible.

5. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    Zotac AMP Extrme 1080 GTX
    Try a CMOS reset?

6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    I HAD THIS!
    I accidentally fried my gpu once by doing something stupid which i won't mention, however
    every time i connect the 6 pins for the gpu power the pc wouldn't post, the fans would
    spin for like 0.2sec then stop. Tried it in another system and it wouldn't post too.
    Just use your warranty, that covered mine, no questions asked they just gave me a brand new one.