1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synology Announces DiskStation DS419slim

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Synology announced their DiskStation DS419slim, a nas with a place for four 2.5 "storage disks and a cubic housing of relatively limited size. The new nas can have a maximum of 20TB of storage...

Synology Announces DiskStation DS419slim

386SX likes this.
  2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64EKWB 240PP12V
    I'm having a really hard time justifying the increase in price from €299 to €375 (retail prices here for the 416slim and 419slim).
    - They both have the same CPU, it just seems the 419 has a 1.33GHz marvell chip, whereas the 416 has a 1.0GHz apparently, even though they are both noted as "Marvell Armada 385 88F6820".
    - Both have 512MB DDR3(L).

The 419 has slightly faster reads/writes, but that is probably due to the CPU speed increase.

It being one of the only 2.5in NAS available, its in a park of its own, but still hard to justify the price increase.
    Maybe there is extra stuff in there, but I can't see it (and they would have shouted it from the rooftops in the press release).

3. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    RX64 Red Devil
    You will agree this poses a lot of cons for this size.
    2.5 inch HDDs are a lot more expensive than their 3.5 inch counterparts. And for SSDs it would be a shame to run 20TB of SSD space at 220MB/s read and 95MB/s write.

Cheapest SSD with more than 3TB size and SATA is
    Micron 5210 ION with 3.84TB for more than 400 Euros a piece.
    Cheapest HDD is Seagate Barracuda Compute with 4TB for 130 Euros a piece, with 3 models of 2.5 inch HDDs which are bigger than 4TB at all.

Companies tend to run clusters of storage, but not these ...

So who should buy this? I honestly see no audience for those as you can get the same for about half the price as 3.5 inch form factor.

4. Yakk

Yakk Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics card
    The CPU & network interface do not seem to make sense, at least why no 10Gge to go along with fast SSD network storage? Not sure I see a logic for this product either, especially at the price of having it populated.

A regular tiered nas, while being substantially bigger, would make more sense IMO.

386SX likes this.